Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%
Default Gorge, Gorge, Gorge

I lost most of my weight on Atkins, but then swithed to CAD last DEC. I found CAD to jump start my loss again, and I loss another 10 pounds or so.

For the last two months, however, I have been at about the same weight (give or take five pounds). Could the problem be that I eat TOO much at RM?

I eat very little for the rest of the day....protein shake for BF, and maybe a salad or chicken for lunch. At RM its large salad, chicken, bagel w/ cream cheese, and desert. The issue is, I still eat and eat dessert (or chips, or something) until my hour is up and I'm ready to puke because I'm soooo full.

I find I am always waiting for my big meal and when the time comes I eat as fast and as much as I can...can this be healthly??

At least I'm maintaining, and not gaining, which I find very surprising, and when I stray a little, my weight doesn't fluctuate like last year.

I seem more concerned with my remaining fat than I ever did with all the fat I had before.....I don't know if I will ever be satisfied with my weight!

Sorry for the longwindedness....I haven't bee on the forum for a while.

peace.

shutt
go sens go
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Shutt
Well the stall of Jan-Mar could have just been due to winter. A lot of people didn't start up losing again until April. Now you should start losing again. Otherwise, it's probably the dessert and chips. Too much. Out of balance. Or it might be the protein shake. CAs have to count total carbs not net carbs you know.

Try for more balance. Or if you're going to eat for 60 minutes straight, try limiting yourself to 45-50. Try to take the time and savor your food. Taste it. Enjoy it. It's not a race to see how much you can stuff in your stomach in an hour.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default What is the real problem?

You are so close to your goal weight that is it totally understandable that your weight loss has slowed down a great deal. Its easier to lose the first lbs. than those last few. You may have reached the weight already that your body is most comfortable with too. At any rate, Relax, you've made it but it doesn't sound like you are enjoying your success. Why is that?

As you've been losing all this time were you also working on your emotional self? The reasons why you eat, when you eat, things like that? Because it sounds to me as though you still have a fear of being deprived of food. At least that is how your RM meal routine sounds, you know, having to eat up to the last minute even though you aren't hungry. What is that about? What is going through your mind when you are doing that? What is your mind saying to you? Write down what it is saying, don't worry about it making sense, then later read it and take an honest look at what you wrote. You may still be thinking like a fat person even though you no longer are one.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 11:42

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Shutt,

Re-read what Kingwood said - there is a lot there. We need to tend to our emotional side as well as our physical on this journey.

Something that jumps out at me is that you are going extremely light on your CM's and then out of balance and out of control for your RM. Try eating the 3-4 oz of protein as recommended in the book for your CM's. Then concentrate on balance in your RM - eat more protein and veggies to balance out your chips/dessert. Drop the protein shakes, the Hellers recommend against them and it doesn't sound as if they are working well for you.

Congratulations on your huge loss so far, and don't be so hard on yourself - you have really come a long way.

Best wishes!

Lila
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%

Thanks for your advice, but I still feel like crap. I'm up three pounds in the last week and I've even "refunded" my dinner a couple of times.

And what am I telling myself when I'm stuffing my face for a hour? Let's get this salad and protein into me so I can start at dessert. Then its, Let's get as much dessert into me as I can because it's 23 hours before I can enjoy this again.

I was 240 and fine, now I'm 180 something and weighting myself three or four times a day and puking after I eat.....maybe I should have stayed fat!!

shutt22
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:45

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I have a daughter with an eating disorder and you sound like someone in a bit of trouble. Don't put off getting some help if you are feeling out of control with this. There are some real danger signals here and they can be very harmful to your heath and your state of mind.

Start with your dr., but if you don't find the help you need there continue to search for some.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I have first hand knowledge of the damaging effects of this kind of behavior and the thinking that accompanies it.

Please get help...
Deb
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:51

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

My thoughts were the same as Debs... I actually felt that way when I read the first post about gorging for an hr . It just seemed very out of control to me. CAD is wonderful, but it still have to live within the laws of pysics and biology. But I was new to CAD then and figured everyone else wasnt alarmed, maybe this is normal?

shutt, It sounds like you are feeling really out of control right now. Debs advice was good I think. Talk to your doctor about this. He/she can ask the questions that will help get to the bottom of things. Sometimes it really helps to not feel like you are trying to work on a problem "alone"

I also wonder if maybe CAD just isnt the diet for you. (ducks for cover hoping no CADders will hurt her) I have heard people say that they tried CAD and that the RMs just made their cravings worse then ever. What they had gotten under control during atkins was totally out of control on CAD. The CAD book also says that CAD isnt necessarily for everyone.

You sound like you did well on Atkins. If you absolutely wont see a Dr maybe you could try Atkins or another diet to try to get back in control again.

oh one last thought. .. are you depriving yourself to much during the day? You said you didnt eat much during the day, which is fine if you arnt hungry, but if you ARE hungry you need to eat or your going to obsess about food all day and binge at RM.

Just some thoughts.. Hope nothing I said offends anyone.

Jaden
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 18:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Jaden
Don't duck.

We know CAD isn't for everyone. Sometimes, in the beginning, we do tend to see how much we can eat in an hour. We call it the "kid in the candy store syndrome". It usually passes in a couple of weeks.

If you have a hard time stopping within the 60 minutes it's usually because you're reacting to a specific carb or class of carbs. Allergies can cause an uncontrollable appetite for the very carb someone it allergic to.