Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/256/180 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Surgery, yeah, that happened

Hi everyone I went to the ER Sunday night with terrible pain under my ribs, in my chest and around to my back. I was terrified that I was having a heart attack. Luckily it wasn't my heart, but it was my gall bladder. I was admitted and my "Angry organ" was removed within hours. Now, I'm on a strict low fat diet for 6 weeks. I'm keeping my food choices to the lowest carb offerings. I told my support staff in here (the hospital) that I am eating low carb/high fat and the surgeon said that low carb is fine, but it's the high fat part that "pissed off" my already infected gall bladder. But since it's not in there now, I can slowly transition my way back into low carb/high fat after 6 weeks. So for now, I can't eat bacon, cheese, fried anything, sad!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 09:03

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I hope you are feeling better soon. Try to make sure that if you aren't eating fat, you are still eating enough.

Most of all, take care of yourself!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 09:33

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Ugh, I'm sorry that happened! Hopefully it won't be long before you heal up and can re-introduce fat and resume eating all the foods you love.

(Incidentally I was a skinny, low-fat zealot when my gallbladder died - and I was only 22.)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 14:23

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I was on a year-long high carb, low fat, vegan diet when my gallbladder got "angry" and was removed quickly.

Once you reintroduce fats, you can add digestive enzymes to your diet -- I find them very helpful to restore normal digestive functioning.

Feel better soon.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 14:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I had my gallbladder out years ago probably because of all the crap I was eating. Pizza, you name it. The gallbladder regulates how much bile the pancreas dumps into the small intestine for our tummies to digest after we eat something. I still notice after eating breakfast I need to (rather soon) do a number two. Other than that, my tummy does quite well on low carb healthy-high fat. I'm sure it's a helluva lot easier on my stomach than the crap I used to put into it!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 15:02
Registered Member

Stats: 265/256/180 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thank you all! I have to admit, I felt nervous about all of this. I'm happy to know that when I can begin to introduce fats again I'll be just fine.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 10:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

feel better!
in meantime, maybe google south beach recipes? those are pretty lowfat, but still relatively low carb.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 16:45

Stats: 310/295/240 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:

My gallbladder was also removed and the pains were triggered by Atkins diet high fat content (though all the stones formed long before that). After gall bladder removal I went through the pregnancy, breastfeeding etc and been on and off Atkins meanwhile. The only days I found difficult are the first days of dieting, when your body readjust the amount of bile produced - the body just flushes out the excessive bile, so proximity to the restroom is important during those days Otherwise, I am so glad it was gone and the pains forgotten.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 18:02
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
I was on a year-long high carb, low fat, vegan diet when my gallbladder got "angry" and was removed quickly.

Once you reintroduce fats, you can add digestive enzymes to your diet -- I find them very helpful to restore normal digestive functioning.

Feel better soon.
What "digestive enzymes?" I saw a bottle at Walmart but wasn't sure about em -- they were expensive too. I have slow stomach emptying and a number of other GI problems unrelated to this WOE.

GB problems are not caused by a high-fat diet, but it can exacerbate it for people that have eaten a low-fat diet for years.

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Aug-14-16 at 18:08.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 21:18

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
What "digestive enzymes?" I saw a bottle at Walmart but wasn't sure about em -- they were expensive too. I have slow stomach emptying and a number of other GI problems unrelated to this WOE.

GB problems are not caused by a high-fat diet, but it can exacerbate it for people that have eaten a low-fat diet for years.

I buy the NOW Super Enzymes on Amazon -- about $18 for 180 capsules. I eat one with any meal that has a lot of fat (which is almost all of them -- but I only eat 1-2 meals per day). I'm not sure what Walmart has, but I spent a lot of time looking through all the reviews to make sure these would work for people without a gallbladder. A friend of mine is dealing with pancreatitis, and his doctor suggested the same enzymes for him.

TMI Alert: Before using these, I often immediately had to go to the bathroom after a meal, had gas and frequent diarrhea. All of that is gone now. I don't know if it's the WOE or the enzymes, but I'm not changing anything because I feel so much better.

Worth a try.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 06:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf38
Now, I'm on a strict low fat diet for 6 weeks. I'm keeping my food choices to the lowest carb offerings. I told my support staff in here (the hospital) that I am eating low carb/high fat and the surgeon said that low carb is fine, but it's the high fat part that "pissed off" my already infected gall bladder. But since it's not in there now, I can slowly transition my way back into low carb/high fat after 6 weeks.

So for now, I can't eat bacon, cheese, fried anything, sad!!
I haven't had my gallbladder removed, but man those attacks are horrible, aren't they?

Looking on the bright side, six weeks without bacon, cheese and fried anything is a good idea as they really aren't the healthiest LC foods anyway.

However, coconut oil is much easier to digest as it goes straight to the liver for processing, instead of needing bile from the gallbladder, so it's a good choice when you reintroduce fat back into your diet. You might even ask your doctor if you have start it in small amounts now.

Here are some good links:
https://www.liverdoctor.com/what-to...-a-gallbladder/

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....ladder-surgery/

Everything I'm reading about living post-gallbladder removal says taking a bile salt supplement like Swedish Bitters makes things easier.