Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 07:47

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 194/178/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Forms of Protein

Still awaiting arrival of my book...

Are protein shakes allowed? It's sometimes hard for me to get my 34g. of protein in at each meal. I was thinking mixing my protein powder with 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 water. Is it okay to have these to supplement the amount of protein required for each meal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 10:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Yes. I drink one nearly every day. You can use water, almond milk, soy milk (if you use soy), Hoods low cal/low carb milk, or cream and water. Some whey protein mixes do not need anything added besides water.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 20:26

BF:

Believe me. Mine needs more than water... Blech
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 11:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Protein Power allows you to choose which foods to include as long as you start with less than 40g net carbs per day and no more than 15g per meal. That's why I like PP (and my mug of coffee each morning), but Atkins' induction list has a lot of merit - clean real foods help you lose faster and cause fewer cravings and allergic reactions.

In my early days on PP I had a "Butterfinger Frosty" shake every day, made with ice, water, 2T heavy cream, 2T peanut butter, + 1-2 scoops chocolate protein powder. Yummy, but it never kept me satisfied as long as eggs & sausage/bacon. And legumes (PB) and too much dairy and whey cause my sinuses to stuff up, so I can only breathe freely if I keep my cream down to a total of 2T per day (but I want it in my coffee) and protein powder to an occasional treat. Too much dairy makes me want more dairy, and in my experience, anything that I have an unnatural attraction to, or leaves me hungry 2 hrs later (after a 400+ calorie meal), contains something that I can't tolerate without symptoms (sinus problems, weight gain, joint pain, headaches, rashes, itching, etc.). In my junkfood days I didn't notice these things because I was semi-comatose from the sugar. But the more I refine my diet, the more I notice which foods make me feel fantastic and which make me feel slightly to majorly "off". Removing sugar, gluten, soy and most dairy from my diet got me off 2 inhalers + decongestants & antihistimines every single day (and I never felt fantastic when I took all those things).

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jan-23-08 at 11:51.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 11:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Try Snytrax brand whey protein. I don't normally make reccomendations, but everyone I've told about this has liked it. (except one of my co-workers who prefers a stevia sweetened brand.)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 11:37

BF:

The last 2 mornings I've supplemented my eggs with a 12 oz. protein shake. Whey protein powder (chocolate) mixed with 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 water in the blender and tastes pretty good. I'm doing protein power and need 34 g. protein at each meal. An egg only has I believe around 6 so with 2 eggs and this drink I'm good to go.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 13:59

Plan: Low Carb, Low Fat
Stats: 233.0/120.0/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 92%

PVL's Whey Gourmet has some of the best flavors, with Peanut Butter Chocolate being the favorite by a wide margin. Champion Nutrition has a good one too that's Cookies and Cream. It's definitely one of the best Cookies and Cream out there.

I also use PVL's Vanilla Ice Cream Royale to make my own protein ice cream, and Optimum Nutrition's Any Whey for baking.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 13:24

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I use Isopure Vanilla Protein Powder and love it. It has 0 sugar, 50 grams of protein and 0 carbs. I make a pumpkin shake almost every morning with water, pumpkin spices and the protein powder. Keeps me satisfied until lunch. I have also mixed it with crystal light, cold decafe coffee or decafe tea.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 08:49

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default Love the shake option on PP

I like Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder mixed with half and half of coconut milk (naturally low carb and has the benefit of high fat from coconut oil) and heavy cream mixed with one scoop of JR Vanilla and 1 to 2T of organic cocoa powder (not alkali-treated or Dutched). JR is sweetened with stevia. This keeps me going about five to six hours. Sometimes I add 1 or 2T of nut butter, usually almond or macademia

I have been super sick with cold that turned into bronchitis and pneumonia and can actually make this shake and keep it down and keep going. At times like this, just using my stick blender saves the day instead of trying to force myself to cook. Way easy and on plan, too.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I use Any Whey unflavored that I bought at netrition.com. The advantage of unflavored is that you can turn it into any flavor you like.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 09:44
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanaCJ
I like Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder mixed with half and half of coconut milk (naturally low carb and has the benefit of high fat from coconut oil) and heavy cream mixed with one scoop of JR Vanilla and 1 to 2T of organic cocoa powder (not alkali-treated or Dutched). JR is sweetened with stevia. This keeps me going about five to six hours. Sometimes I add 1 or 2T of nut butter, usually almond or macademia

I have been super sick with cold that turned into bronchitis and pneumonia and can actually make this shake and keep it down and keep going. At times like this, just using my stick blender saves the day instead of trying to force myself to cook. Way easy and on plan, too.

OMG that sounds delish!

I found a protein mix (powder) last year when I needed something quick and easy to digest for just before or after the gym. Champion Nutrition is the brand I found it on Netrition http://www25.netrition.com/champion...stack_page.html and what I liked about it was the ingredients. I was big on the RIGHT kind of sweeteners, etc. (I was able to see the nutritional label before buying, which was great.) I lucked out because this stuff honestly tastes good with just water! The container I have is ridiculously big but it was worth the money to have that back-up protein on hand that's actually yummy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 13:34

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
I found a protein mix (powder) last year when I needed something quick and easy to digest for just before or after the gym. Champion Nutrition is the brand I found it on Netrition http://www25.netrition.com/champion...stack_page.html and what I liked about it was the ingredients. I was big on the RIGHT kind of sweeteners, etc. (I was able to see the nutritional label before buying, which was great.) I lucked out because this stuff honestly tastes good with just water! The container I have is ridiculously big but it was worth the money to have that back-up protein on hand that's actually yummy.

Well did I have some sticker shock when I compared the Champion with the Jay Robb (which I have bought from him directly on line and at Whole Foods where it is a popular product). I have always purchased the 1 and 2 pound containers, but checked out through the link above and OUCH!!! If I were to buy 5 pounds of Jay Robb it would be $137.82, not the $40.95 Netrition is charging for the 5 pound size of Champion. Time to try a new product. Thanks. I shall have to check this out and enjoy more of my money, too.