Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 14:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Maintainers

Hopefully this place will be a hang-out for those who have reached goal, so we get to keep them around before they run away!

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 16:49

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Good plan,Wa'il - too often those at goal drift away..... when they are badly needed as living proof that low-carbing can be *survived*
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 07:05
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I can't wait to join you!

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 07:09

Dont' worry Elihnig - I'm saving you a seat. Right here in the front row!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 20:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

This is a great idea! I actually didnt even find this low-carb forum until after I hit maintainence. I guess my biggest concern is... I have always put weight back on after dieting. I do realize that with this WOE I dont feel like Im missing out on anything however I still have fears something may trigger my addiction again.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 08:51

Hey gwilson - same as me - I found this forum just before I hit goal.

If we hang around long enough, we'll see the newbies here, hit goal.

And like you I am determined that this will be for life, I don't want to go back to *the way I was* - whatever diligence it takes, I'm ready!!!!

Hang in there. There aren't many of us long-timer-goal-hitters around. So many hit goal and split...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 10:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 230/150/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy STRUGGLING

HI EVERYONE.. I HIT GOAL ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO..AND IM FINDING IT WAS EASIER TO LOOSE THE WEIGHT THAN MAINTAIN. THIS HAS BECOME A WOE FOR ME TOO. BUT AS SOON AS I ADDED A FEW CARBS, THE HUNGER CAME BACK. AND THE BEST PART OF LOW CARB WAS NOT FIGHTING THE HUNGER.

SO IM TRYING LESS CARBS AND MORE FAT TO SEE IF THAT DOESNT GIVE ME THE CALORIES I NEED TO MAINTAIN WITHOUT LOOSING AND KEEP THOSE HUNGER PANGS TO A MINIMUM.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

MARY
230 TO 150 IN 9 MONTHS..AND HOLDING
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default congratulations

Congratulations Mary.....you did great.

I agree with you, that adding carbs can be a little tricky. Hard not to get comfortable with life and let things slip.

I hope you do stay around and post often to keep the rest of us on track.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 18:56

Hey Mary - 80 pounds in 9 months is quite the VICTORY!

Tell me, did your plan involve gradually increasing carbs to find your CCL, or did you a form of induction straight thru the 9 months?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 08:02

BF:
Progress:
Default STRUGGLING

I BASICALLY DID THE INDUCTION FOR THE FIRST 6 MONTHS AND THEN ADDED SLOWLY AFTER THAT..IM ALMOST READY TO CHANGE MY GOAL JUST TO GET BACK INTO THE LOOSING MODE. I THINK I FEEL BETTER THAT WAY.

BUT IM HANGING IN THERE..DONT WANT TO GO BACKWARDS FOR SURE.

IM ENJOYING THIS NEW LOOK AND THE REACTIONS FROM PEOPLE HAVENT SEEN ME IN A WHILE.

EVEN THOUGH I DIDNT POST ALOT, I DID VISIT THIS SITE MANY TIMES AND GOT ALOTS OF GOOD IDEAS AND ADVICE FROM THE PEOPLE HERE..THIS IS WHAT IS GOING TO KEEP ME GOING.

THANKS TO EVERYONE.
HAPPY CARBING
MARY
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 10:27

BF:
Default hi Mary

I know what U mean by losing the weight seemed easier. Im the same way. When I have eaten too many carbs [not by cheating either] then I will get hungrier. What I have found that works for me is I have maybe 3 days I eaten higher carbs then I take 2 days where I eat a lot more protein and fat with just some veggies. Im able to keep my goal weight this way. Because this is a WOL it may take us a long time to figure out what is best for us tho.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 10:35

BF:
Progress:
Default STRUGGLE

HEY, THATS A GOOD IDEA..AND IF I HAPPEN TO FALL BELOW THE ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT..THATS A PLUS..
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 14:08

Stats: 132/?/125
BF:
Progress:
Question Hypoglycaemia?

I don't exactly know where to start. I'm sort of at my goal. I have always exercised and 1 lost 10 or so pounds when I did the zone couple of years ago. Except, I answered yes to every one of the questions on the "B" list in Atkins and probably have hypoglycaemia. I don't want to go to the doctor for confirmation because I am not overweight and I'm afraid he'll just think I'm neurotic. I am so tired of being a slave to sugar and bread. I'm still a little reluctant to eat so much fat (even though in the short week I've been following Atkins less, rather than more strictly I have lost 5 pounds - liberally eating nuts and whipped cream and bacon). And with family it's hard to be a good example to kids when by all regular standards I'm being quite extreme about it. My kids are budding insulemiac (apple-shaped, both of them) and bottomless pits for anything with a crust or sweet. Hubby not much better. I do try to explain in as many medical terms as possible why eating this way is better, but it sounds like preaching. And they I like a good chocolate cake or two and I give in and my credibility goes out the window. I'm hoping I'm not setting up two future eating disorders.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 16:09

BF:
Default hey Cookie!

welcome here. 1st of all I wouldnt be too worried about seeing the Doc about hypoglycemia [MY OPINION STRICKLY] Why I say that is cause yrs ago I went thru an 8 hr gluclose test and yes was determined I did have it however it never made me change my eating habits. I have been on Atkins for over 7 months and at goal for almost 3. I eat 4 times a day and I now feel in control of my eating and my life. Dont be as concerned about the fat U eat, its all the carbs that u ingest that actually will do the damage. NOW for the second part about your kids. I have 2 kids... my daughter is almost 13 and altho she is tall and slim right now I am concerned at what will happen in the future. She is a real bread junky. They see how I eat and my husband cant believe the amount of food I can comsume. He isnt following the plan but because of my success he supports me. I guess all we can is to keep eating this way and in time hopefully train those closest to us to follow our example.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 16:28

Stats: 132/?/125
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks gwil..

Thanks for the support. It's true I do feel more in control of my life when I a following the low carb thing. Had a recent "binge" that lasted from when the first boxes of hallowe'en chocolate hit the shelves 'til the last of the candy from the kids bags was gone (or at least was down to those hallowe'en kisses). But giving up the sweets is much more tolerable when I can eat bacon and peanut butter and whipping cream in my coffee. I haven't actually made it all the way through Atkins, I'm just winging it and trying to stay under 50 g for now. Thanks again.