Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 05:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 243/240/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Meal Replacements

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie with a question about meal replacements,specifically Met-RX. The label list the ingredients as;Calories 260,Total Fat 2.5g, Cholesterol10mg, Sodium 380 mg, potassium 880mg,Total Carbohydrate 22g
,and Protein 37g. My question is will this amount of carbs effect my ketosis and should I quit using this product as my 1st meal of the day?
It does seem to be rather high in carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 19:46
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey, if you're doing PP then 22 carbs for a meal is out of the question (unless I'm missing something or you're in a different phase? I thought it was 7-10 per meal to start).

My first inclination is always to have "real food" as much as possible, but I respect meal replacements for use when it'd be either that or starving. I'd find one a bit more suited to the balance of PP, though. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 18:20

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome Toeman,

I see you have just read PP so I will say to you the same thing I said to Mella, get and read Protein Power Lifeplan. It was written five years after PP and has updated information. I still recommend people get and read PP but also tell them that PPLP is better written (in my opinion) and a MUST to have. I hope you will get a copy and read it thoroughly. There is a LOT to know about healthy eating. Not following the details can cause problems, most not serious but often frustrate getting to your goal.

One of the reasons for reading PPLP is to learn about fat. When you stop eating lots of carbohydrates you need to replace the energy you obtained form them with something else. In PPLP/PP that is FAT! Protein can be used for energy but that is not the most efficient way to get the energy you need. So when you say,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeman18
Total Fat 2.5g
that is way too little for breakfast which is supposed to supply you with energy for the mornings work.

One of the things you should also watch is the total calories you eat each day. Mainly to be sure you are not eating too little, a common problem in weight loss dieting. Too little food will make the body think that you are in a famine and risk starving. It will then "hold on" to everything it can - the fat you want to get rid of. Deidra posts here and has stated that her loss stalled until she added more calories (mostly, fat I think) to her diet.

Remember, PP and PPLP is all about the BASIS for healthy eating, and thus it gives you the principles but leaves the details up to you. YES, there are "sample plans" but notice you are not told you must eat these to be "on plan". That is one reason why participating in a support forum is important, if you are confused or having problems, someone usually will be able to help you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 05:01

Stats: 243/240/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thanx for the thoughtful advise.I have ordered a copy of PPL and should be receiving it within days, this should help to answer a lot of questions that I have concerning the low-carb lifestyle...the science of it has seemed to have changed since my last exposure to PP..I'm looking forward to reading PPL!

Last edited by Toeman18 : Thu, Nov-30-06 at 10:54.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 16:35

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Toeman - Have you tried Isopure protein powder that has 50 grams of protein and 0 carbs? The vanilla is very good.

Here is a link to read what else is in it: http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/natures_best-isopure.htm
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 20:46
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Montanasun, thanks for bringing this link back up. How does the isopure PP taste compared to others? Is there a reason you use that one?

Toeman, if you want another alternative, I just bought Champion Nutrition Whey Protein Stack (from Netrition but I'm sure you can find it other places). One scoop (to go with about 5 oz water or other liquid) has about 23 grams of protein, 2 net carbs, 2 grams of fat and quite a good taste (plus no aspartame, which was important to me).

I'm not using them so much as breakfast meal supplements, but as an after-weight-training protein drink/lunch twice a week.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 21:29

BF:

I do like the taste. I make a protein shake every morning either with frozen berries or pumpkin. You can even mix it with Crystal Light, SoBe Lean or anything else. I like the fact that it has 0 carbs and 50 grams of protein.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-06, 13:40
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasun
I do like the taste. I make a protein shake every morning either with frozen berries or pumpkin. You can even mix it with Crystal Light, SoBe Lean or anything else. I like the fact that it has 0 carbs and 50 grams of protein.

NICE suggestions. Those numbers are impressive. I'm usually a chocolate person, but I can see the benefit of using vanilla and mixing it with fruit. The numbers ARE impressive. 50 seems a bit more than I would need for breakfast...BUT then again, maybe on a day after weight training. I'll have to check out the fat content too...I'm figuring it'll be at that link you posted. I'll check that out this week. Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-06, 13:44

BF:

All the information in the protein powder is in the link. They do have other flavors but I haven't tried them.

I don't know of any hidden carbs so if someone does find any please let me know.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 08:11

Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Isopure, as far as I know, doesn't have any hidden carbs. I use a less expensive store-brand whey protein powder for vanilla, which I don't use as often. But the Isopure Dutch Chocolate has been my favorite chocolate shake powder for a few months now. One other huge plus--it's instantized, so it literally mixes up completely with a spoon or a light shaking. I can take it on the road, stir it into cold coffee or a bottle of water, and have a mocha or Yoohoo-tasting chocolate drink for those times when I really don't have the time, equipment or ingredients to make a true shake.

The vanilla and unflavored varieties also mix up clear...which means that on those days when I have to fast and for medical reasons am limited to clear liquids, I don't have to give up on my protein for the day.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 22:41

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

Has anyone tried the strawberry isopure? I have been falling back on the cans of atkins strawberry more than I would like and I am looking for an alternative. (higher protein, etc...) I notice the funky taste with the atkins shakes, but it doesn't bother me too much, is there anything noticeable with isopure? How about the other flavors? I know the dutch chocolate has gotten good reviews, I guess I just want to know what to expect and which to order.
Thanks!
--rebekah (switching to PP, & so glad to have finally checked out this forum!)

I also wanted to see how/if you can add coconut oil to shakes, I want to add some good fat, but as the shake is quite cold wouldn't the oil be solid/chunky (ick!)?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:21
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi Bekkers - the only experience I have with a shake so far (besides pre-made Aktins and EAS, which I've only used for "emergency") is one called Champion Nutritional Drink that I found on Netrition. I wanted something that was a good source of protein while being low in carbs but with no aspartame and I hit paydirt because I think this one is tasty too. I use it as an after-workout drink. (Otherwise I don't tend to do shakes, but this is good for a quick and easy protein boost after my weight training.) I don't add fat at that time. I can't speak to the coconut oil approach but I figured I'd at least welcome you here and offer up the one I use.

Oh, I have to tell you...this came in a huge plastic jar "barrel" almost...I had to laugh. But I keep it in a pantry and just scoop out one scoop with 5 oz water and shake vigorously and pop in in my car. Of coruse I got the chocolate. Here is the link...

http://www23.netrition.com/champion...stack_page.html
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 16:57

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

Thank you so much Lisa! I will check it out. I actually stopped at the vitamin shoppe and they had the 3 pound barrel, and told me I could return it for store credit if I don't like it. I usually am reluctant to but shakes b/c of bad taste experiences but I am finding that I rely on essentially instant protein in shake or lunchmeat form at LEAST 1-2 times/day b/c of running after the munchkin. (Sophia is an extremely active, dare I say precocious 14 month old...) If I really like it I will order it online next time b/c it was overpriced I think, but it is worth it to be able to return it if I won't use it. I have ordered stuff from netrition before too, so next time I will see about chocolate CHampion Nutritional drink brand.
Thanks again for welcoming me, I actually checked this section out after reading several of your posts on the atkins and paleo board and thinking you sounded a LOT like me (the way you approach low carb, etc...) and figured I should see what this "PP" stuff was! I'm so glad I came back to the forum and lowcarb life again.
--bek
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 17:16

BF:

I have had the strawberry cream Isopure and it was good. I get the vanilla because I can use it in every thing. I make a pumpkin protein shake and the strawberry did go well with that. The vanilla does not have an over powering taste.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 18:48

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkers
I also wanted to see how/if you can add coconut oil to shakes, I want to add some good fat, but as the shake is quite cold wouldn't the oil be solid/chunky (ick!)?
I do not use shakes, so have nothing to offer there, but I do use coconut oil every day in my breakfast. So I can tell you what I know about coconut oil.

About 76 degrees is the melting point of the brand I have. I buy Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil in a 14 Fl. Oz. jar. Usually the price is under $10 - the jar I have next to me says $7.19. Most health food/supplement stores have it and I have also found it in one of the major chain super markets - can't remember which one. I was surprised that it imparts NO coconut taste (at least I cannot taste it) even though it will give off a coconut odor when cooking. Since I am eating supper, I tried some from the jar and found it not offensive at all. The texture is sort of like butter, but of course, with a different flavor. Actually I had a second taste as I sort of liked it. AND a third! With my last bite of ham, sort of like a condiment.

Back to your issue, the big thing would be how to stir the coconut oil in, especially getting it uniform through out the mix. Something like a blender would work, but that diminishes the convenience. Heavy oils, grease, dissolve in lighter oils so you might experiment with olive oil to see if it would make the coconut oil liquid enough to use in your shake. The BIG reason for using coconut oil is the medium chain saturated fatty acids, which is exactly why it is solid below 76 degrees. Coconut oil has a great percentage of those particular fats. Few others compare.

Personal side note; I have had toe nail fungus for many years, going back to an accident that smashed my big toe. It almost caused my big toe nail to come off. I am fine now. I have been using coconut oil for about six months now. About a table spoon a day. Last week after my shower when I was trimming my toe nails, I noticed that they looked different. It appears that they fungus infection is declining, noticeably! I have read that coconut oil has anti fungus properties, so this is one of the reasons for using it.

And I should add, welcome to the wonderful world of PP/PPLP!
Please get BOTH books and read and reread them. While the basics are simple there is lots to learn about the details like supplements, which ARE important. Also you will almost certainly need to "tweak" the way you do PP/PPLP as you age, PPLP gives you the principles of the program to help you with the "tweaking".

Regards,
Larry