Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What is the Best Time of Day to Exercise
The Earlier the Better 250 53.88%
Afternoon or Evening is Fine By Me 99 21.34%
It Makes no Difference - I'll do my best to skip it 25 5.39%
Makes no Difference - I'll do it any time of Day 90 19.40%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 05:23
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

Afternoon or evening is the best time for me:
I move a little after sleep, and the body becomes more lively. Then I eat and wait till the food is digested, and the body gets its portion of protein and calories, and now I can do my exercise.

One more reason: sometimes we need some rest after sleep...

Last edited by Vitafly : Sat, Oct-16-04 at 05:33.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 23:21

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Used to be first thing in the morning, but since I read that your blood glucose reading rises if exercising on an empty stomach, I do it mid- morning.
Pene
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

actually it depends on a personal feelings I think and maybe on the type of diet...

wish you good luck with your excercise
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 18:16

Plan: South Beach/Atkins mix
Stats: 204/157/145 Female 64
BF:40%/26%/23%
Progress: 80%
Talking Morning cardio for me! :)

On an empty stomach, to be sure, after I take my Total Lean and glutamine..... so loving the results! But I weight train in the afternoon, and that rounds out my day

BTW--I have apparently lost 4% body fat since 10/11!!! How cool is THAT
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 20:01
Water-Ski Chic :-)

Plan: Healthy LC :-)
Stats: 149/132.5/141 Female 65
BF:20/14.5/15
Progress: 206%
Talking Morning

I am definately a morning person, that way it is done and out of the way. Heck if I wanted to do some physical activity twice in one day i still have the evening for that. I sleep better at night to if I work out in the morning. The way I look at it is I get up get ready drive tot he gym and before I know it I have been doing strenth training for over 30 minutes and it is time to get some cardio in then I am all done.

Yippee

Daisy
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 06:58

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Old thread

Since I'm lucky enough to lift & do cardio when I like and no longer have to bear with a gym that opens 9-12 am and 4-10 pm I workout preferably late in the morning. Then I'll have digested my large breakfast (whey shake & cup of coffee while I wait for my eggs, fish & mushroom to be finished) and have plenty of protein and glycogen in my system so I'll be strong. Then I take another whey with Tang powder shake in the gym with me and do my best to burn all the carbs off with another post-WO cardio session as intensely as I can.

For slow-motion cardio the best time would be either immediately after getting up, even before getting your breakfast in (I bet there have been a gazillion threads on this one), but the disadvantage is possible muscle breakdown (esp if you're already lean) and not enough intensity, though I used to this unknowingly all the time as I always skipped breakfast and raced to the railway station some 10 K (7 mi) away on bicycle.

The other option for cardio is just before you go to bed. You can do it as intensive as you want.. I'd advice to take a shower afterwards (which is logical) and calm down a bit.. too intensive may cause disruption in sleeping, but others report they sleep better. The biggest advantage is that you aren't tempted to overeat afterwards or don't even need to eat afterwards as you almost only burn fat while sleeping and will still profit from the enhanced metabolism (EPOC or afterburn). One of the best female bb-ers of our country does so all the time.. actually, she doesn't cut down her body fat by dieting , but just by cardio which she increases from once-twice a day to 3-4 times a day. Only intensive and short intervals, as this works best and preserves most muscle mass!

Fietser Yvana
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian
Stats: 215/215/170 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

It does not matter when you exercise it is mostly the diet and as long as you exercise. Some like to exercise in the morning to jump start the meatbolism but evening or morning will produce great results , ITS THE DIET STYLE always remember this. But most people only do the treadmill, or most woman only do diet and no aerobics ect, YOU HAVE TO DO ALL THREE: Diet, Weight Trainning, and Aerobics
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 07:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Foods To Stay Away From

BREADS, BUTTERS LIKE MARGERINE ALSO. PIZZA , PASTA, CHEESES, DEEP FRIED FOODS, SWEETS like SUGAR.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 07:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Foods To Eat For Fat Loss

VEGETARIAN MEALS (Stir fry style eating ) , FRUITS, VEGETABLES , POPCORN, NO BUTTER that is you can pop the corn kernells in a childs brown lunch bag in a microwave -ect. Drinking lots of water. Rice Cakes Have a cheat day or a piece of pizza or cake only 1 day per month ect. Exercise daily.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 16:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 205/205/160 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress:

Weekends are best for me b/c I work out best around 10 or 11 am. I get up, have a little breakfast and water, then digest and I am rearing to go. Unfortunately, I cannot do this on the weekdays.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 11:20

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%

I like to work out in the PM just because I ate my breaky then my lunch and then my dinner and I would like to burn it all off LOL. I agree the morning work out gets your day started. I am in the Canadian Infantry and a morning work out is the main thing we do in the Army. Well I am getting out of the Army now and they love to run you I have very bad knees now Because of it and I am only 28 years old. I like to swim every night it lets me un wind for the evening so me and my wife can have a relaxing time. Good luck and great storys we are all on the way to susssed YEEE HAAA
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I voted for the earlier the better, because...

"Early in the morning before you eat, your levels of muscle and liver glycogen (stored carbs) are low. During a 12-hour overnight fast, your levels of glycogen slowly decline while providing glucose for various bodily functions that go on even while you sleep. As a result, you wake up in the morning with depleted glycogen and lower blood sugar - the optimum environment for burning fat. How much more fat you'll burn is uncertain, but some studies have suggested that up to 300% more fat is burned when cardio is done in a fasted, glycogen-depleted state."

Of course, if you're following your diet to a T, all of the above won't really matter, but it makes me feel better when I've had something at dinner that isn't exactly on the diet

Cheers!
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 09:46

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I like to go in the evening! It just makes a nice end for my day! I get to go home make dinner then go to the gym. Cause then if I don't have something going on in the evening then I get bored and want to munch on food, so, its better for me to do it in the evening!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 10:21
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Morning for me

I get up at 3:15 AM to do an hour + workout, which includes weight lifting. On weekends I start in late morning.

I don't give two diddly hoots about cortisol and glucose levels and whether I'm burning more fat because I'm doing it on an empty stomach or that I might have more strength in the afternoon to lift weights.

I'm giving myself a good workout. How do I know? I sweat, I can talk but not sing while doing cardio, my endorphins are kicking, I feel a sense of accomplishment all day long, and I get that beloved muscle soreness. Basically, I work out at a time when I know I can commit.

If I want to do another workout in the afternoon ... well, then I can. But if I continually saved my workout for the end of the day, something would always come up to push it away. Like procrastination and excuses!
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 09:28
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

For me...just starting and *continuing* to excercise no matter what time is most important!