Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 18:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/220/170 Female 5 ft 8 in
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Cheated today & am paying the price.

I've been a silent spectator for a while, but after what I did today I decided that I just had to post.
I was baking treats for everyone (I always do without a problem) and before I knew it a square of Bakers semi-sweet chocolate jumped from a bowl into my mouth
I have not had one bit of sugar since July of this year. Well, after about 10 minutes, my stomach started churning. Without getting graphic, I had to run to the sink. This was hours ago and I'm still miserable now. I learned my lesson - it is so not worth it. I think a spoon full of peanut butter would have been a better idea.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 20:43

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 206/188/180 Female 5 5' inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

wow.. No sugar since July??!! that is amazing talk about will power. .. I wish I had your strength.. but I'm working on it.

In a way your little booboo could be taken as a little proof to yourself to remind you that you are doing the right thing and eating they way you are supposed to eat and the chocolate bite was just a painful way to prove ...
so full steam ahead I would say..
congrats on the amazing process
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 08:45

Stats: 374/297/168 Female 5ft 2in
BF:Um yes
Progress: 37%

Atkins really is the best plan for keeping you on the straight and narrow. If I eat anything off of it I too find out quickly. Glad to see you posting nocarbin.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 20:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the support. I do believe that Atkins is the best diet to keep me on the straight and narrow. At this point, it's almost not even a matter of willpower. My body lets me know what I am not supposed to eat. I really paid for that piece of chocolate - I was sick all night long. It will be a LONG time before I even think about cheating again. :-)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-09, 16:34

Stats: 285/188/175 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Same Thing

I too have been a long-time spectator to these forums, but wanted to reply with a similar story.

First, I never cheat, and I never "go on a diet". Cheating has a negative connotation, and going on a diet implies its only temporary; changing my diet infers it permanent. But, I digress.

For every holiday, I "temporarily change my diet" by eating that which is banned on the Atkins diet (e.g. Thanksgiving, Christmas). It's my reward assuming I hit my targets, and stay true to my plan. But, I digress again.

On Christmas of this year, after eating out wonderful supper which included potatoes, breads, vegetables, pie, ice cream (yes, I indulge), and other favorites, I BECAME MAJOR SICK - PAINFUL CRAMPS, TERRIBLE HEARTBURN - LASTED FOR HOURS - I thought I was going to die. It hurt to even drink water; it was terrible.

Opinions (and I received many) varied as to why - being on the Atkins and restricting my calorie intake for over a year caused my stomach to shrink (I stuffed myself silly for Christmas). I enjoyed every minute. One said it was the "rush" of sugar, and lots of it, that did me in. Whatever the cause, the pain subsided with some antacid, and I woke up this morning, back to hitting my plan hard, which has me reaching my final target by February 15, 2010.

The point of my message is, I believe its normal to feel "not so good" after taking in high than normal quantities of sugar, or temporarily changing your low-card diet, after being on a low-card diet for so long. Every person I know has said you should transition in/out of super-low carb diets slowly, and without ingesting large quantities of sugar and starches right away.

The good news is, one little piece of semi-chocolate won't kill you. But, rather, this can only give you incentive to work hard so you can eat more some time later down the road.

Good Luck.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 19:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Positive1. That one piece of semi-sweet chocolate didn't kill me, but I felt all of the same symptoms that you are describing - pain, extreme sickness ect. Amazing!!! All from one little square of chocolate. I'm kind of glad I did it though. Just went on a mini vacation & was not even tempted to eat off plan. After the chocolate incident, I was really not wanting to get on the scale. I actually lost 2lbs!!!