Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 03:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy feeling sick after work out

Hi everyone,
I need some advice from all sports(wo)men on this forum.
I had my first tai bo /body combat class yesterday. It was hard work, but I really enjoyed it, I can't remember ever sweating that much. I felt OK, but 15 minutes after the class, sitting on the bus back home I felt really weak,cold sweat, felt like I had to trow up,...
Any ideas what I can do abouth it, was I dehydrated ( I drank 0.5 l water after class), should I eat more carbs before I work out (I eat 20-30g carbs/day) ?
What do you all eat before your work outs?
Thanks !

Last edited by Sooike : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 07:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:05

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Very simple, you over did it...
if you push your self too hard you will feel that way. I know if people in good shape that when they wourk out too hard, they puke (if you ever saw Marrathon runner, you'll know).....

make sure you eat a good LC meal 2-3 hours before workout..
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 14:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Same thing happened to my spouse. He lifts weights on a regular basis but one of his co-workers talked him into coming to a taekwondo class. He said he was feeling sick before they finished the calisthenics. It is quite easy to over do a workout.

Next time try not to push yourself quite so hard. Monitor your heart rate and do not go over 55 to 65 percent of your maximum heart rate for 2 to 3 weeks. This will help condition your heart and lungs for the added stress. (max heart rate is 220-age) Also make sure you keep yourself hydrated.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 14:13

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

You are probably right, I probably overdid it. At the time I felt OK. There wasn't anybody overweight in the class and maybe I didn't wanted to be the fat one that had to stop, I don't know. Is there something I can do when I feel that way? What do youall eat before workouts ?
Thanks !
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 19:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Dana,

The best thing you can do is ease into cardio. Honestly. If you are not use to working out, then keep the heart rate between 55 and 65 percent of your maximum heart rate for the next three to four weeks. This is not an opinion but actually a guideline that the ACSM has put out for Personal Trainers to follow in conditioning clients. There isn't really anything you can do to feel better after the fact, other than taking it easy during. Don't worry so much about what others may or may not think, it's your health and you are taking the steps to get in shape.

I personally do not eat right before a workout. If you do chose to eat something, go for a light snack and wait 45 minutes. If you eat a heavy meal wait a couple of hours.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 06:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 180/168/155 Male 68
BF:???
Progress: 48%
Default Went to hard1st day?

Hey Sooike----Tae Bo is too fast paced to try and keep up the first few times, your body has to adjust to the demand you are putting on it. Don't worry about being the only fat guy in class, I'm sure everyone in class can show you some before pictures. The rest of the guys are right about how you felt going home, I used to get that way when I was running marathons, you get caught up in the excitement of the crowd and over do it, just go at your pace for a while then start pushing yourself when you are in better shape. I am in pretty good shape, but the first time I did Tae Bo' it was a real challenge to get through to the finish, just because you are using you body in a different way. Hang in there, you will do OK just keep working at it every day, being consistant at anything is what will get you to your goals---Taku John
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 13:14

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I am so glad that I read your question and replies. My husband bought me the 4 tape set of tae-bo tapes this weekend. I am starting them today, and now I know that I better be careful!! I hope they work as well as everyone says!!