Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmalisa
Elle you and I have similar stats. How tall are you?? I want to get to 140 and am really struggling. I got down to 136 last year by eating 900 calories a day for 3 months. Then all h3ll broke loose. Hair fell out, hormones went berserk, had insomnia, anxiety, etc etc. So I gained back almost all I had lost over the next 3 months. Now, I can't seem to lose.

I'm reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories", and the studies he brings up indicate that people lose the most weight when they restrict carbs, but eat protein and fat to satiety. I'd love to think that would work for me, but I too am afraid to try it. I'm counting calories right now, and am only down one pound in 2 weeks eating an average of 1500 a day. Which is considered low calorie. But hey, I really don't have anything to lose by trying. What I'm doing isn't exactly working, although I probably haven't given it near enough time yet.

I'm about the same height as you are.

I think you should try it, eating protein and fat to satiety. I lost all my weight doing that this time--I decided to try something different and that's when all hell broke loose. I really believe when we don't eat enough the body goes berserk.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 14:14

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
What is so magic about 58%, that's the part I don't get?
Elle,

Only certain amino acids can be broken down to get glucose. As the number and type of amino acids differ depending upon which protein is being considered, it is impossible to give an exact number that reflects the % of proteins that can be converted. Based upon the protein composition in muscle tissue, approximately 60% of the amino acids can be broken down to get glucose.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 16:39
Registered Member

Hey, now *that* makes sense! Thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 10:57
Registered Member

Well, I got my answer from Dr Mike about excess protein.

He says extra protein is "burned, just like any other fuel."

I have no idea what this means, but I guess I'll assume it means that it's burned up in futile cycles, just like extra fat.

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, was hoping for something a little more detailed, but at least I know now that it's not converted and stored.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 17:00

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Elle, I'm trying to find his response to me. it was a little bit more detailed.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 16:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Marathon runners use protein for energy all the time. They actually need to eat way more protein than bodybuilders do (and generally don't.) The body consumes key amino acids from muscle tissue, leaving behind incomplete proteins that then can't be held on to. The main amino acid lost to this process is leucine--this is the single most effective amino acid to supplement for preventing muscle loss in endurance athletes. I found it interesting that the body metabolizes leucine into ketones, not glucose. Almost like it preferred ketones to glucose.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 19:21

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Almost like it preferred ketones to glucose.

You got THAT RIGHT!!!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: IF and general low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:

One time I ate well over a pound of seafood in one sitting and my blood sugar tested at 110 (I'm not diabetic.)
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 07:08

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I suspect the 58% depends on the source of the protein. I notice if I have a meal based on dairy proteins (cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta, cream cheese), I get hungry in 2-3 hours, but if I get my protein from meat/fish/poultry/eggs I can go for 4-6 hrs without hunger even though these meals have the exact same calorie, carb, fat and protein contents. This dairy-induced hunger is the same feeling I get if I eat an extra 5-10g carbs per meal - a dull hunger and peckishness with growling stomach. So now I use cheese as more of a condiment, not the basis of a meal.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 165/141/116 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:26%
Progress: 49%

You're telling me! With working out as often as I am 5 days a week 45 min /day the book says it's 81 grams. I feel right if I'm at around 96! Thanks for posting his response.

Eden
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 14:30

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm curious -- if this is based on people with normal insulin levels, then what happens with those of us who have high insulin levels (many or most T2 diabetics?)

I seem to be finding that my desire for protein leads me to eat only moderate portions, anyway, and I eat more fat than anything else.

Lene'
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 10:39

Plan: LC, HF, PP
Stats: 214/188.2/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hey Elle,

Haven't you had some great successes of late by upping your fat? How will this play into the protien allowance increase?
Thanks!
Chris
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 10:45
Registered Member

Yeah, I've gone back to what I call "high-fatting." When it get into the mid-140's I notice I just don't lose any more eating all the protein I want. When you increase fat to this level (150 or more grams per day), I understand protein needs to fall to just your minimum need to repair the body, you don't want extra around for energy production. (I haven't tried higher carb levels with high fatting, sticking to around 20 g per day, but the upper limit would be 50 grams or so, no matter what, b/c of the fat intake, you don't want extra carbs around to store as fat.) So I keep to around 60-70g a day when I'm actively high-fatting. Interestingly enough, this is actually what the old original PP book gives as my protein need per day, so I'm sure I'm still getting enough.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 11:20
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Elle, what a coincidence because I've just resolved to do the same thing. Remember the high fat thread we were on for a bit? I was thinking back to how I FELT and realized that not only do I need to LC but part of what I need is higher fat content to truly feel better. More on that later since this is the PP protein thread, but since I don't have a lot of time to post I figured I'd reply here.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 18:42

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Contacting Dr. Eades

Elle,

How did you contact Dr. Eades? Is there a protein power website or something where I can do more research? I'm just reading Protein Power now, and I am really understanding the way insulin works. I've been on and off the LC woe for at least 15 years now, but I've never really 'gotten" it.

Can you recommend any other sources of information?

Ellen