Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 19:10

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Only a little off topic - since going to unstructured shoes I've been playing with foot and toe mobility.

Can you do a "live long and prosper" sign with your toes/feet?
I can do it on the right (dominant) better than the left.

My tootsies used to just move all together in one blob.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 22:01

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Only a little off topic - since going to unstructured shoes I've been playing with foot and toe mobility.

Can you do a "live long and prosper" sign with your toes/feet?
I can do it on the right (dominant) better than the left.

My tootsies used to just move all together in one blob.

I can't quite do that, but my toes are much stronger and suppler and, well, "indepedent" from each other. What shoes are you wearing? For a barefooter, I am still a shoe queen at heart .
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-10, 10:05

BF:

ooh ooh, do share! Right now I'm still on a Tevo Mush and Mephisto kick. The Mephistos have a cork footbed and some structure.

#34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-10, 10:31

Plan: VLC; no sugar;no gluten
Stats: 188.7/153.1/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

~seejay - not too far off topic. Foot health is an important part of barefoot running.

I have long toes, and have been told that they are not toes, but really talons. I started working on "toe strength" and flexibility after my first bout with plantar fasciitis. I wasn't running at the time, but pregnant. I did the towel bunching thing and lots of stretching.

I also used to use the little foam things from my manicure set. They seemed to help me stretch. Now you can buy Yoga Toes for about $38 more than what I spent..... http://www.yogapro.com/products/YogaToes.html

No running today, but may walk on treadmill later. No pain, but some muscle soreness which is to be expected.

~capmikee - did you run in the huaraches? Can you still feel the heat from the ground? Running on asphalt in the heat is not my fave for that reason. I can remember feeling the heat even in regular running shoes.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-10, 10:57

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I didn't feel a thing yesterday running on hot asphalt in huaraches, but when I ran barefoot on Sunday I carried them with me. When we stopped, my feet were burning like the dickens, and even after I put the huaraches on, the ground still felt hot. I think running lessens the heat somewhat, but when you're in constant contact with the ground, you feel it more.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-10, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainboZ
~seejay - not too far off topic. Foot health is an important part of barefoot running.

I have long toes, and have been told that they are not toes, but really talons.
How perfect for hunting and gathering small mammals, and salmon. My stubby hobbit feet are jealous.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 10:32

Plan: VLC; no sugar;no gluten
Stats: 188.7/153.1/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Progress report

Well, I am still running every other day. Mostly on treadmill and I am up to half the time barefoot and half the time with water shoes. No pain anywhere. My back is what used to get to me and I haven't had the urge to pop it at all. No twinging either. I do notice even the little bit of heel in the water shoes, so once these go I am going to get the huaraches.

~capmikee - I found the way for me to run is to pull my pelvis under and I remember when I took my personal trainer courses (I don't work as one) that the woman teaching the alignment stuff made a comment that men naturally tuck their pelvises under so it makes sense that sticking your butt out works for you.

~jschwab - you were right about not thinking being more enjoyable. I get into a rhythm and it feels wonderful. I have been able to quicken my pace as a result of relaxing. I am still not at the pace I ran when shod, but as my feet and muscles get stronger, I am sure it will happen.

Oh - about the heart attack - saw the cardiologist yesterday and he said that my heart attack was not due to normal circumstances (arteries hardening and plaque, etc) but to a blood clot. I am so relieved that it went to a small vessel in my heart vs my brain. So he recommended I go see a Hematologist. He feels I have a clotting disorder and it needs to be addressed. Now I can let my dad know it wasn't from eating "all those eggs" as he put it.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 20:57

I did the Mud Run today:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...562#post8141562

I wasn't allowed to go barefoot, but I wore my $6 water shoes, and they rocked.

Did I mention how insane it is to go downhill barefoot? I managed it in the water shoes, but really barefoot is a unique experience. If you surrender your fears and give your whole body to gravity, you can go sickeningly fast without any increase in effort. Doing it on rocky trails today was pretty terrifying, but it made up for being a little slow the rest of the way.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 13:33
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I'm in the process of looking for some new shoes, but i'm new to running and just getting started. I was thinking about moving from a traditional shoe to something like the Nike Free 3s or something like that. I feel like I need to build up some stability before going completely barefoot or minimalist. Does anyone have any experience with these or something similar? I was hoping to try and find some this weekend.

There is a running store not too far that will properly fit you that I plan to visit.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 13:43
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I guess some more information might be helpful. I have no plans for long distance running anytime soon (if ever...lol). I'll probably be doing mostly street and track running...not many trails in my neck of the woods (I miss that..back home in CT there were TONS). I have poor stability from breaking my right ankle on more than one occasion, so I am looking to build strength in my feet and legs to help with that.

Currently, in traditional shoes (this has been a long term problem for me with running..since I was little) I get terrible pain in my shins. I've heard a lot of people say that barefoot and barefoot style shoes help with this.

I no absolutely NOTHING about it, so I'm flying blind. A total NEWB!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 14:21

I recommend water shoes, krystalr. It sounds like there's no reason for you to transition gradually - you're already suffering enough from wearing modern shoes.

I have been told that going bare or minimalist can put extra strain on the achilles tendon - that seems to be the main reason that people are told to take it easy at first. It wasn't a problem for me, but it's something to be aware of. In your case, I recommend walking barefoot or in minimalist shoes. It will help your body adjust until you have the confidence to run.

My wife and I have both noticed that we get much more pain from running if we are wearing too much shoe the rest of the time.