Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 20:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 196/196/196 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Wink Where are the Kiwi's?

Are there any other Kiwi's out there reading this Forum?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 21:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry Shawin, I haven't seen any Kiwis here for a while now. In fact there aren't too many Aussies either. But welcome anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 13:01
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Rosebud. I did note by the dates that no-one has used this Forum for a few years. I'm just beginning my Low Carb, high fat diet and I'm not feeling as confident about it as I did my low carb, non fat diet. I haven't done Atkins but I'm trying HCG 2.0.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 18:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Will you settle for a Yankiwi? I have wonderful school friends from decades ago in the Auckland area. I've been back to visit only twice, but feel at home there. NZ is fussy about who they will allow in as a resident, or I would have considered it seriously.

NZ is where I came to love real butter and lamb/sheep in every possible edible form. I also gained 30 lbs in my eight months there, and some of it is still with me. They loved to feed the visiting American.

Welcome to the forum. I don't know what HCG is, but I do know that low-carb combined with low-fat is not a good plan. So do try Atkins.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 13:18
Registered Member

BF:

Nice to meet you Barbara. I have been looking at Atkins and will most probably try it. HCG is where you are supposed to take drops along with the diet, but I don't bother and I still lose weight. It is similar to Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 13:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

HCG is that extremely low-calorie diet? Of course it will work without the magic drops!!

Atkins is completely different. I recommend one of Dr. Atkins's original books, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, circa 2001. In the US you can find copies in used bookstores. Be wary of new versions of "Atkins" that make use of manufactured foods like meal bars, shakes, and the like. Real Food is the key to long-term success.

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 13:19
Registered Member

BF:

I wouldn't bother with the highly processed food as I enjoy "whole" foods. The problem I have with these diets is constipation. I try as much as possible to keep my fibre up and drinks lots of water but it doesn't work for me. I'm currently considering a vegetarian version, however you can't get enough quality protein this way.
I'm also on HCG 2.0 which is far more than 500 calories a day. It is similar to Atkins. Your protein intake is dependant on height weight and age and there's a formula to work it out. It allows for 30gms low carbs a day also.

Last edited by Shawin : Wed, Jan-14-15 at 18:41.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 18:11
Forum Moderator

BF:

Shawin, I truly believe that fibre is not the way to go, and there is some science to back me up on that.

If you are having trouble with constipation, I believe that as low carbers the best thing to do is to first increase your fat and water intake. If you are still having trouble while having over 120 grams of fat per day, it's time to add some magnesium. My DH is an IBS sufferer and used to REALLY suffer from constipation, but now considers magnesium to be a lifesaver. Just something to think about.

And here is what Dr Eades (author of Protein Power) thinks of fibre: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...s-fore-and-aft/

An oldish study, but one I found interesting (which is why I posted it) : http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=231342

There are more studies, but I can't find them all right now.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 18:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for those articles, they were interesting. When I talk constipation though, I'm talking pain!!! I have taken chia seeds and Glucomannan and they have helped.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 19:32
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
When I talk constipation though, I'm talking pain!!!

Yep, that's how my DH was
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 19:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I have diverticulosis and terrible pain with chronic constipation. Or, I used to. I tried every single laxative on the market and they didn't work unless they gave me the opposite problem.

By sheer coincidence, the only Kiwi I know (and his GF) introduced me to this stuff:

from this vendor:

Common Sense Herbs

It's pricey. If you "join" and buy more than $50 worth, they give you a pretty big discount. I am not affiliated, just know that THIS WORKS. If I need a booster, I use MiraLax once or twice.

Literally nothing moves without this stuff. Including drinking 64 ounces of water today and upping my fat to very high amounts.

I will say that starting a couple of years ago, I had a housing issue and stayed quite a bit with vegetarian friends. I was careful not to eat bread but did eat lentils, beans, potatoes, etc. and tons of green veggies. Well...took a few days and NO constipation. At all. Every time I stayed with one of them I had sweet comfort. The problem is, I am diabetic and high carb diets are lethal for us IMO.

So, things have settled down and I am doing a modified LC. I'm allowing myself up to 50 carbs to make sure I get enough veggies to help things along. But I still take the Super Lax. I so love comfort and no pain.

I hope this can help you. It's a problem most people might have occasionally...not continually. I read about people who say, if I have more than one spoonful of coconut oil I'm in the bathroom all day....um..NOT. I wish though!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 11:37

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Kia Ora,

My mother is Maori and i inherited her brown skin, fat nose in addition to her hearty appetite.

Welcome.

Last edited by Maori : Thu, Jan-15-15 at 12:22.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you Gonwtwindo for that, but we don't always have the same products here in New Zealand.
Talking vegetarian for the moment, I've read the book "The China Study" by T Colin Campbell and it discusses 45 years of thorough research into diet using China and other countries and the research showed meat, fat, dairy & eggs to be extremely harmful to your health in many ways. He talks about diseases of affluence (heart attacks, diabetes, cancer) and diseases of poverty Tuberculosis, malnutrition etc) and in fact a high carb diet (provided its whole fruit & vegetables) not donuts and cream cakes, without meat, fat, dairy and eggs to be absolutely fine for diabetics and in fact has restored peoples health.
I'm 58 years old so I have concerns about a diet being high in fat. I don't need to encourage a heart attack. I've also read the book "Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr and in that book studies have shown any fat, good or bad brings on heart pain in people that have heart problems and that fat actually inflames the inner walls of the arteries.
In saying all this a low carb diet has worked for me in the past and I've lost as much as 35kg before, but I'm struggling now.
I love to flavour my stir fries with a tsp grated ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chives. These add carbs. I love mushrooms but have to watch the carbs.
I've just read the book by Rose Elliott, called The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet but she doesn't use much tofu as she does eggs and cheese. A recipe called vegetarian quiche used 6 eggs and 6oz cheese just to get the protein grams up to 80 for the day. This kind of goes against the reason I was looking into a vegetarian low carb diet. That would be as constipating as the meat version.
I'll have to persevere and try different things to help with constipation as I really need to get my weight off.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 13:47

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawin
Thank you Gonwtwindo for that, but we don't always have the same products here in New Zealand.

They ship internationally. Maybe that's too expensive though.

Consider your sources when believing what is said about diet. Current research supports higher fat, lower carb.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Consider your sources when believing what is said about diet. Current research supports higher fat, lower carb.

Yep, I'll be sticking to a Low Carb Diet, as I'm weak when it comes to hunger pains and I know it works, but this high fat side of things isn't working so far.

I agree that you have to be careful about where your information comes from. If you read "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell, the research was intensive over many years and the research papers are listed in the back of the book.
Quote:
Author Biography

For more than 40 years, T. Colin Campbell, PhD, has been at the forefront of nutrition research. His legacy, the China Study, is the most comprehensive study of health and nutrition ever conducted. Dr. Campbell is the author of the bestselling book, The China Study, and the Jacob Gould Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University. He has received more than 70 grant-years of peer-reviewed research funding and authored more than 300 research papers. The China Study was the culmination of a 20-year partnership of Cornell University, Oxford University, and the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine. Howard Jacobson, PhD, is an online marketing consultant, health educator, and ecological gardener from Durham, N.C. He earned a Masters of Public Health and Doctor of Health Studies degrees from Temple University, and a BA in History from Princeton. Howard cofounded VitruvianWay.com, an online marketing agency, and is a coauthor of Google AdWords For Dummies. When Howard is not chasing groundhogs away from blueberry bushes or wrestling with Google, he relaxes by playing Ultimate Frisbee and campfire songs from the 1960s. His current life goal is to turn the world into a giant food forest.

Another fact to consider is that we have teeth made for grinding our food, not fangs for flesh tearing, we have small livers for a vegetarian diet, as dogs, cats etc have large livers for meat processing and we have a very long bowel for fruits & vegetables, not a short bowel for protein.
In saying this I've tried to be a vegetarian but I still love meat. I do believe in the low carb diet as it's worked for me. The one I have had the success with is the original HCG Diet first published in 1954. I am now trying HCG 2.0 which is a revised version which is high protein, high fat & 30gms carbs.
I have sent for the Atkins Diet Book, so I'll read that and give it a go.
All in all it's the constipation thats a problem for me.

Last edited by Shawin : Thu, Jan-15-15 at 19:08. Reason: Adding more information