Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Breast reduction

Today I made an important decision. When I'm about 20kg lighter, I'm finally going to have a breast reduction. I've lost almost 10kg in the last 5 months and my breasts are no smaller (I'm a DD cup - but only 'grandma' bras have enough support). I remember when I was at my ideal weight they were still enormous and out of proportion - so I'm going to do it! Sick of buying clothes that fit everywhere else but across the bust. I have chronic mid-back pain, the back of my neck is knotted up beyond belief, I have dents in my shoulders from bra straps - just all a bit much really - I can't even wear bathers. Apparently this is covered by Medicare and then by private health because it's for medical reasons (rather than cosmetic), so I think I'll just go for it - got a referral from GP today!

Just thought I'd share

Rebecca
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/135/132
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Rebecca!!
I have the opposite problem! Do you think they will do a transplant??
Seriously though - when the time comes, I hope it goes well & you are happy with the result.

Lucy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:58
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Good for you, Rebecca!
That's got to be a big decision (not one I'll ever have to make, I'm with Lucy), but one you'll benefit from forever.
Just make sure you get the best surgeon available; see if he'll let you speak with any of his former patients.
This will also be a great incentive for that next 20 kg to go.
You're going to feel great!
Good luck, mate!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 15:03

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 302/291/165
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Breast Reduction

Well done on your decision Rebecca. I had a breast reduction 2 and a half years ago and never regretted it. I went from a EE to a C. Just make sure you get a reputable surgeon, and do plenty of research first.

Feel free to email me at red_roses_72~hotmail.com if you have any questions.

Wendy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 18:18

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

I've been considering the same.

I have had some shrinkage and am now in a D cup, but things have gotten rather saggy.

I have promised myself that if at my goal my boobs hang to my waist then Iwill get them fixed.

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on.

lesley
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 00:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default Yeeha!

Another important moment - I've finally got inside of 20kg to goal. Today the scales tell me I'm 19kg away from my goal of 68kg. Yippee! When I'm finally there I might set another 5kg goal to get down to 63, but the point is that 68kg means that I'm inside the healthy weight range for my height.

Thanks everyone for your support and comments re my decision to have a 'boob job' (in reverse) ... I'm single at the moment - I can imagine in the future having to explain the scars to a partner/husband, but also having to clarify that I had a REVERSE boob job - hehehehehe, cracks me up.

Gals, if were possible I'd offload some of my excess 'baggage' to you!

Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this. I've made an appointment with a recommended surgeon for 26 February - no doubt he'll do a whole lot poking and prodding. Blushing just thinking about it. I've tentatively set early May as the best time to have it done. Gives me some time to lose another 9kg (I'll get it done while about 10kg away from goal weight), and it works out best with my work to do it at that time - as I'll need about 3 weeks off (but I can take it as sick leave - yay!).

Cost - this will cost about $2500 of my own money. The procedure itself will cost $3000, of which Medicare will kick in $800, and HBF about $270. HBF will also cover the hospital room and theatre costs but I think I'll be up for the anaesthetic. The other option is to go to a public hospital where it would cost nothing, but I wouldn't be able to choose my doctor - AND I've have to wait 5 to 7 years!! All in all, I think it's worth spending the money - it's not a whole lot in the long run and will be soooo worth it when I can wear NORMAL bathers and NORMAL bras and not have my boobs entering a room a couple of seconds before I do!!

Well, I've rambled on enough now - I'll go and do my washing!

Thanks again everyone!

Rebecca
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 02:42

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow, good for you. It is something I have considered for years and still am. Maybe when I get down near my goal weight and back to the USA I will consider it again. I will have different insurance then and will have to look into it.

I look forward to hearing how it goes. Please let us know when you have it done and your results for awhile.

Thanks for sharing this.

Susan
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 09:04

BF:
Default Breast Reduction

Wow Rebecca.....I had mine done in a public hospital, and only had to wait 9 months. Didnt cost me a cent either.

All the best for your appointment...let us know how you get on.

Wendy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 19:02
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone for the posts. I'll let you know how things are going. Counting the days till my appointment on 26 Feb!!!

Rebecca
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 16:05

Stats: 231/222.2/154
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy Big Boobs Too!

Hi Rebecca

I'm looking at getting a "reverse boob job" once I get down to my goal weight too. I worry that, as I don't have kids yet, it will affect my ability to breast feed if I do it before.

Do you have any idea if it does affect breast feeding as I'm sure they "move" your nipples around?

Kate
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 16:48

BF:
Default Breast Reduction

Katie,

It depends what they do with your nipples. With mine, they had to remove them completely and re-attach them, so I will never be able to breastfeed when I have children. In some cases, if the nipple doesnt have to be completely removed, breastfeeding is still possible.

Its always best to discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon before having the operation.

Wendy
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 08:10
Registered Member

BF:

Yup, what RedRoses said! There is a definite risk that you won't be able to breastfeed because they may remove some milk ducts - yet some people have no problems at all.

For me, I'm single and it may be years until I have children if at all - and I'm not going to hang around and wait for that to happen before doing this. I'll just have to be prepared to bottlefeed!!

Rebecca
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 07:41

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Rebecca,
Good on you for doing something with those DD's, I wish I had your guts. I would love to have my DD's reduced too, I don't want to go too small, just being in single letters would do me. I am going to wait till I've lost my 20 kilos to see what sort of state they are in, at the moment they're heading for the floor. .
As for the scars, my grandmother had a reduction done years ago and her scars are barely noticeable.
Isn't it funny how no-one is happy with their size? One of my friend's is a DD size too, but she actually paid to get to that size.

Cheryl
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 06:35
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks once again folks for the posts.

Yes, it's funny how no one is happy with their size. Personally I'd be quite happy with this size if they weren't 'heading for the floor'. I'm not far off 27 but they grew so fast in my teens that gravity just went out the window and they are "large and pendulous". I'm aiming for a C cup - not a huge change but enough to make them feel a bit more 'normal'. Right now it feels like it's just me and my boobs - I don't like them being a defining feature.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the surgeon. I'm a little apprehensive about having a stranger 'examining' my breasts - I only hope his hands aren't cold!! LOL!

I've taken the day off work. I'm a pretty strong person but this is a big thing that I've never really been through before and I guess it's possible that I may have an unexpected emotional reaction - so I thought it a good idea to just have the whole day.

Wish me luck!!

Rebecca

#15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 15:21

BF:
Default Breast Reduction

Good luck Rebecca....i'm sure you'll be fine