Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-15, 19:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Shawin, I hate to break it to you, but T Colin Campbell's The China Study has been well and truly debunked. Our livers are not at all small, and our intestines are not made for a vegetarian diet, but for an omnivorous one, hence our teeth structure. Our front teeth are made for tearing flesh, which vegetarians like to conveniently forget.

Anyway, you can eat whichever way you prefer, but I still implore you to try some magnesium for the sake if your bowel comfort.

Re The China Study, here are a couple of rebuttals for you. There are many more. :
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t...p-anat-8e.shtml
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=414362
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-15, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 196/196/196 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thanks Rosebud for those links. I'll certainly read them. I have believed in The China Study only because my bowels tell me what I get better results with, but I like to keep an open mind and I'll read anything to keep myself informed.
I am and always will be a meat eater because I like it. I just wish I didn't suffer constipation on the diets thats all. I'll persevere though as I've had such good results before.
Thank you for your help.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-15, 17:13

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 220/196/187 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Shawin,

I know this is several months after you posted, but...I'm a Kiwi!

You might want to have a look at AUT's Human Potential Centre - they are flying the Low Carb flag here in NZ, and doing really interesting research into Low Carb High Fat, in particular. http://www.humanpotentialcentre.aut...as-of-expertise

If you are worried about fat and heart health, I also really recommend The Big Fat Surprise, by Nina Teicholz - she does a great job of dissecting the evidence.

Cheers
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

I've purchased the books and read them.....The Big Fat Surprise and Why We Get Fat so I know what you are talking about.
I've abandoned LCHF at the moment as the high protein was affecting one of my kidneys.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-15, 15:20

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:

Quote:
I've abandoned LCHF at the moment as the high protein was affecting one of my kidneys.
Hi, Shawin. I'm guessing that you are following medical advice concerning your kidneys. Sorry you've had problems.

However, LC doesn't need to be "high protein." In fact, moderate or adequate protein--an amount determined by lean body weight--doesn't change very much while weight loss is taking place. Carbohydrates are kept low (in a range according to the individual) and fat can be increased to provide energy. Protein levels stay constant.

Here's a helpful calculator that gives a reliable indicator of what "adequate protein" might be for you.

My Kiwi classmates (from long, long ago) are planning a reunion. Wish I could be in Auckland in 2016! Maybe I'll find a way.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 14:53
Registered Member

BF:

I was only having 100 gms protein at each meal and no more. I'm 5' 11" tall and a solid build. I don't think that is excessive.
Thank you for that link, I'll certainly read it.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 00:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dunedin represent.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 15:24
Registered Member

BF:

It's been a long time since I last posted, and I now know the reason I was having problems. I had so many horrible symptoms for so long. In June (2016) of this year I found I was Hypothyroid. Now that I have that knowledge, I researched it thoroughly and went on the Paleo Diet along with taking supplements, and I'm the healthiest I've been in ages. I have lost 13kg slowly and I plan to lose much more yet. I have reduced my TSH from 4.7 to 1.5, and my Thyroid Antibodies are a low 36 (<60). I'm low-carbing with awesome results. I'm Paleo, but I'm also following the advice of Dr Sandra Cabot (https://www.liverdoctor.com/) on Fatty Liver. Anybody who's overweight will be suffering fatty liver, and its more a sugar problem than a fat problem. Incorporating this into my daily routine has helped me no end. I have purchased 7 of Dr Sandra Cabot's Books. I think she's a real gem and they're helping me hugely!!!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 18:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:

Welcome back! It's good to hear that you've found some solutions and are back on track

Best wishes.