Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/242/187 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default It can't be this easy can it?

Hey folks,

I am now on my fourth day of induction and three kilograms down! I have to say that i am finding Atkins very easy so far, enjoying eggs and bacon and experimenting with cauliflower (mash, 'rice', creamy cheese with pork crackle instead of bread crumbs!).

I am super happy with the way things are progressing, and my wife is progressing just as well! I am not missing carbs at all at the moment though I suspect that will build with time - I haven't had a craving for pizza yet, and not being able to have a couple of beers on the weekend will be interesting!

I am really enjoying the journey so far, and am wondering if others have found it this easy? Am I cruising headlong into a wall - i.e. is it inevitable that I get the 'Atkins Flu'?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 00:24

Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Yes and no. The first weeks is pretty fast. Then you will slow to more like 1-2% total weight loss per week. YMMV.

As to the flu, some people get it, some do not.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 01:58

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccull
Hey folks,

I am now on my fourth day of induction and three kilograms down! I have to say that i am finding Atkins very easy so far, enjoying eggs and bacon and experimenting with cauliflower (mash, 'rice', creamy cheese with pork crackle instead of bread crumbs!).

I am super happy with the way things are progressing, and my wife is progressing just as well! I am not missing carbs at all at the moment though I suspect that will build with time - I haven't had a craving for pizza yet, and not being able to have a couple of beers on the weekend will be interesting!

I am really enjoying the journey so far, and am wondering if others have found it this easy? Am I cruising headlong into a wall - i.e. is it inevitable that I get the 'Atkins Flu'?

Thanks for reading!

good for you! I lost well over 10 kilos in the first month. I think that you have a partner in kahootz with you makes it all the easier. Best of luck to you both.
The bit that i find hard is falling off and not "making the most of it.... for 5 months before I resume the WOE that is right for me.

*read the thread about newbies #1 tip- FAT DRIP IT ON! This is something I wish I did when I first started.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 15:49

BF:

Thanks, we have taken the fat is good approach!

My wife and I had already cut out sugar - and particularly fructose after reading 'Sweet Poison' by David Gillespie, but after some initial weight loss, we had stalled. The sweet poison book points out that if your diet has had a high sugar content that you could have done long lasting damage and may need to restrict carbohydrates all round in order to allow your body to repair itself. So we began researching low carb diets - we had looked at Atkins previously but balked at it because it was so different to the 'healthy' way of eating we had always been told about.

I am confident that we are going to be successful with Atkins, it is the first time that we have decided together to follow a new WOE, and we are both just finding it so easy... The best part though is that it just makes sense - especially when you link David Gillespie's book with Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-12, 21:54

BF:
Default As IF it's Easy!

So I hit a wall... hard... after all my bravado about how easy it was I struggled after the first week, then at the end of induction, I blew out - BIG. I ate Pizza, chips and bread over a three day period... and gained back everything I had lost!

I ate these things not because I craved them - but because it was easy. I was traveling for work and it was convenient to have pizza for dinner - after all they deliver to the hotel room! Then I had chips with gravy the following night - with a beer! because thats what they had at the pub I went to! Then to top it all off on the very long drive home I stopped at a truck stop and had a steak sandwich... with BBQ sauce - you know that stuff that is 55% sugar

So I have been humbled, I am back on the wagon now, and using a meat fast to get me back into the rhythm... We'll see how we travel from here!

Those of you who have a faith I would ask that you pray for me and my wife as we seek to bring our bodies back to good health, let me know if you are willing to do that (by PM if you prefer) and we will do the same for you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 19:11

Plan: Bodytrim
Stats: 224/198/165 Female 170CM
BF:
Progress:

dmccull don't feel bad. We all fall off at some stage. It's easy at first as it's new and a bit exciting (particularly when you are losing nicely). The key I think is variety. Initially eggs and bacon and meat proteins are good fun, but you need to have some good options for when you feel like pizza, or potato or bread etc.

Being organised and knowing what you can have in a pinch is a big thing. Carry protein bars. I just ordered some Quest ones recently and they are omg good. Know what fast food you can have that is ok for you. Some examples are A kebab plate instead of with the bread, it's meat and salad and I have it with sour cream on top, very yummy. A chicken salad from either aporto or umm the other one that is like aporto which I can't remember. Subway has low carb wraps they will use for your sub instead of bread. That's all I can think of right now but there are lots

In the US they have some amazing products available to them. In Australia that's generally not the case. However we do have options
* Empower (www.empowerfoods.com.au/ )does some bread (which I don't like), some wraps (which are nice, can also buy the Tony Fergusson ones at Terry White Chemists), and some sauces (which are really good).
* Sugarless(www.sugarlessco.com/home.htm ) also do some really good low carb chocolates and lollies etc. I like having some of these in my handbag when I want something sweet
* Miracle Noodles (miraclenoodle.com/ )supply Australia with very low shipping depending on the amount you order. Unless you buy from someone else who sells them one at a time you have to buy 10 at a time I think
*Slimpasta noodles (http://slimpasta.com.au/) are available in Australia although unless you purchase from someone other than slimpasta you have to buy a certain amount as with Miracle Noodles
* Low Carb Central (lowcarbcentral.com.au/ ) sells all the above plus a lot of US imported products
*Low Carb Zone (I think they are still in business but have had people saying their emails are going unanswered - don't know anything definitive though) sells a smaller range of products but still has some good stuff
*Bodytrim (www.bodytrim.com.au/ ) sell some low carb goodies
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 05:53

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Falling off the wagon is a slippery slope, I so get you on that. It took me five months to get back on track. My last off plan session somehow saw mince pies and hot cross buns it went for that long. I used to really slip, and take ages - carb monster gets me big time, using a slip as an opportunity to go spare on everything. Once I am on track, I really don't crave, I love the control I have. So to get back on track by the next meal, or slip and enjoy one thing only might help. I know many on this forum don't even like the foods that cause sugar spikes because the associations of how those foods make you feel.

Sweet poison was a good book, I enjoyed the biochemistry detail in it.
That loss you had, which returned, will be apparent again soon. It's water weight. My understanding is that muscles carry more water when glucose is present in the tissues, same with salt, so when the glucose is gone, the water will drop off. I think of it as still space in my clothes, but not fat loss. This way I don't beat myself up about a 1 or 2 kg difference ( welcome fellow kilo persons)

Products that are good in Australia.... Nuilife coconut oil, for boosting fat intake. And we are lucky because we have good quality meat and eggs, far more accessible that many places.

Keep it up. Those first few weeks should be great, I remember them fondly as they were punctuated with successes.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 00:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/145/120 Female 5ft8
BF:
Progress:

It will slow down as previously said, but ive lost 32kgs since jan 1,,i did use something else as well as atkins though, but keep at it
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 02:35

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I felt like I hit a wall on my 3rd day iirc. It only lasted a few hours though!