Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 21:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Question How hard on yourself???

Hi. How hard are you toward yourself about your weight loss? I find myself checking my "flab" all day long. I do it without even thinking about it. I pinch my side skin to see how much is there, I feel my belly, I look down at my thighs when I am sitting, when I am in the tanner, or just in bed at the end of the day, I feel my ribs and hip bones to see how far they stick out when I am on my back, I am constantly feeling my collar bones, then disappointed when you can't see them as much as I can feel them when I look in the mirror. I know I obsess about how I look now compared to "back then", but then there comes a point that I am not thinking about it, and I'll see myself in a mirror, or window, and I like what I see. Those are the good days. Right now, I like how I look and feel, but there are days when I just want to hide. Why do we see ourselves different than others see us? I thought this would go away after awhile. I still see myself as "the fat one" sometimes. I have even checked the size in my jeans before when they fit loose and I had a "fat day", to make sure that they were not my old ones! What the heck gives??? Does anyone else have these days??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,ME
Stats: 160/130/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 100%

well, i do check up on myself more than when i wasn't loosing any weight.
i don't see anything wrong with it... but sometimes i get dissapointed when i dont feel the difference. But, i remember one day i was feeling sad about my progress... to me ... i was still fat. But, i went to a friends party that night... and guys came up to me and asked me to dance... there were alot of pretty girls there... but i didn't realize how others see me... until then.
so, moral of the story is...hang in there...stick with the program. even when people don't complement u... even when ur body is not showing progress... ur body has alot going on to it... it needs it's time...
right now i am stalling too... but i am sticking to it.... will try working out more...to kick out of the stall...but i am sticking to the plan... this time..!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 13:31

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Yeah, I've been stalled for about 3 months now at 185-ish, and was getting frusterated....until Christmas Eve, when two people complimented me on my loss. So, I've cheered up a bit and have decided to add a bit more jogging to my routine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 18:45
Registered Member

BF:

hello guys...
i am so proud of myself.... i stuck by it one more day and my stall is gone....

it was hard... i was feeling discouraged...but, i lost 2 more lbs...

i have to stick by it this time...no matter what!...

i am happy you guys are getting positives remarks as well...
i think i will get them soon...if i keep it up... for big boned girl like me... results don't show that quick... unless i wear really tight clothes...lol

but i feel good when my mom says that she need to alter the dress to shrink into my size....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 19:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1st, South Beach
Stats: 204/180/155 Female 5' 4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm so impatient and hard on myself, if I don't see the scale move at least every couple days I want to quit. Its been a big problem with trying to stay on track. I think I use it as an excuse to cheat a lot. It sucks.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 14:21
Registered Member

BF:

hey guys...

sublime, i understand why you get off track... i used to do the same....
and today i would have done it again. but i read ur message and realized that i need to stick by it even if the scale doesn't budge the next day.
Today i had a good day... my friends who haven't seen me in a year...told me i lost weight...
i was feeling pretty good about myself... but as i having lunch with my family....my brother jokes around about how my arms were too tight fitting...and that i should avoid short sleeved tops...

it hurt me... and i wore the jacket on top to hide.

But, regardless... i can't quit...
not now!...
i feel like... as i am loosing weight... my inside is coming out slowly...
and i love that feeling... i am more social now... i can't go back to what i was...
i can't let my stupid... brother stop me from this...

u guys... just stick by it... week by week...don't let excuses come in ur way...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 19:39
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Shewolf, I used to do that all the time i.e. feeling myself up, measuring, spending hours staring at my arms, shoulders, legs, butt because I couldn't believe I was seeing a smaller me. But I'm starting to get used to my smaller body now, so I don't do it as much.

I do have this weird thing that goes on with clothing though...I still think I'm a way bigger size than I really am. Yesterday, a friend gave me a couple skirts she had gotten too small for. They were 10s. I looked at them and thought, man, those are way too small. She insisted I take them and try them on.

So, I did. And the dang things fit. And looked good. I couldn't believe it. I don't know why I'm still thinking that I'm bigger - maybe because it's unnerving to be able to wear a 10 when I haven't in 25 years?????????????????

I sure hope I get used to this too.... I know in the past when I dieted/lost weight, part of what sabotaged me to gain back was that my mental image of myself did not match the physical one. I still felt like I was the fat chick...and pretty soon, once again, the outsides would match the insides.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:

hi guys.... i need some help..
i don't want to be hard on myself... but sometimes "people" push me there...
i don't get it...
i am down 3 more lbs this week... i went to see a friend and she couldn't keep saying how much i have lost since...
But when i got home... my mother told me i am still bulgy from the sides of my stomach..
so it's really not my fault that i am losing weight from different parts of my body except...my stomach...
if there is a certain diet i can do to loose from their quickly... i will jump on it in a sec...

Well, what she said was very very discouraging... so i ended up eating a bit of bread... i workout so it won't mess my progress...but still

usually when things like this happen i don't eat much... like i would end up skipping meals...or take a bite or two of things...

do u guys know how to handle stuff like this better? i am half way near the goal i don't want to mess it up by emotionally eating...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 22:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

When that kind of thing happens to me, it just makes me want to lose the rest of the weight even more. Revenge is so sweet. Better than that though. I will look at myself naked in the mirrors at the tanner, and see that I do look good. Of course, when you get the "stare" from some guy, that always helps too!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 12:16
Registered Member

BF:

that's good advice... i'm already in that mode right now...
but, discouragement is all around me....
i'll keep at it... i am the only one who cares about me...