Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 16:48

Plan: any that works
Stats: 185/182/160 Male 5'2
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Looking for something other than the atkins diet

Me and my wife have been struggling within the atkins diet. Not a whole lot of weight loss. I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds and she's trying to lose about 40. Does anyone here know of any good diets that start to show pretty quick results?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 05:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome, Burt.

Atkins done properly, IMO, is sort of the gold standard in terms of being strict and getting the best results. If there are some mistakes you're making, switching plans probably won't help.

Neither of you has that much weight to lose. It's not going to fall off as if you're 300 lbs each. It's going to be slow. Also, if you diet was already half-decent, you won't see any drastic results.

If either of you are on any medications - even something as simple as an NSAID - they can make it extremely difficult to lose weight on any plan.

If you've been consuming any Atkins bars or anything else containing sugar alcohols, "there's yer problem." Maltitol in the bars is partially absorbed and can not be subtracted. I won't even eat them in maintenance; they give me gut cramps.

If you're looking for short cuts, try eliminating all sources of gluten and other grains. LC wraps and such aren't allowed on induction anyway, but ditch any soy sauce you've got if it's not labeled gluten-free. Avoid processed meats that contain corn. Try eliminating dairy, but be careful what you replace it with. Nut milks are out. Be sure to stick to the induction rules.

Can you give us an idea of exactly what you've been eating? Post a few days worth of menus, maybe?

Best of luck.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Sep-06-17 at 05:10.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 05:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtWagnus
Me and my wife have been struggling within the atkins diet. Not a whole lot of weight loss. I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds and she's trying to lose about 40. Does anyone here know of any good diets that start to show pretty quick results?

Although it's not a diet, as you don't eat anything, you might consider intermittent fasting. Getting used to the idea of not always eating is good discovery to make regarudless if you loose weight or not while making this discovery. Go here for your explorations: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 07:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Nut milks are out.

But unsweetened nut milks, like coconut milk, are very low carb - 1 or 2g per cup. I sometimes use them for cooking - nasty tasting by themselves.

Or is there some other reason they're not good on Atkins?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 07:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

my understanding is that nut milks were not widely available at the time Dr Atkins was writing his book. I believe many people who follow atkins add in nut milks the same way you add in nuts, on the ladder and with care during OWL.

I buy a brand of Almond milk that has 1 carb per cup, and use it occasionally to make a low-carb latte.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I do very well eating Atkins bars.