Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 06:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Huge increase in Crohn's disease hospital admissions

Quote:
From The BBC
London, UK
18 June, 2014

Huge increase in Crohn's disease hospital admissions

The number of young people admitted to hospital with Crohn's disease in England and Wales has soared, figures show.

The disease mainly attacks the intestine and can result in severe diarrhoea, cramps and tiredness.

The Health and Social Care Information Centre says 4,937 16 to 29-year-olds were admitted for treatment in England in 2003/4. Last year it rose to 19,405.

One expert says junk food and too many antibiotics could be behind the rise.

It's estimated around 250,000 people suffer from the condition in the UK.

The exact cause of Crohn's disease is unknown. However, according to NHS Direct, a combination of factors may be responsible.

These include:

* Genetics - genes that you inherit from your parents.

* The immune system - a problem with the body's defence system against infection and illness.

* Previous infection - this may trigger an abnormal response from the immune system.

* Smoking - smokers with Crohn's usually have more severe symptoms than non-smokers.

* Environmental factors - Crohn's disease is most common in westernised countries such as the UK, and least common in poorer parts of the world such as Africa, which suggests the environment has a part to play.

There is no cure for Crohn's but many patients learn to manage the symptoms, often by altering their diet.

The disease can be found anywhere along the gastrointestinal tract from the mouth to the anus.

The walls of the tract become inflamed, often ulcers can develop and they can be painful as food passes them in the intestine.

Similar figures released to Newsbeat by NHS Wales Informatics Service also show a rise there.

In 2003/4 Welsh hospitals admitted 277 patients for Crohn's disease. That rose 114% to 594 last year.

Liam Ruff, 19, was diagnosed with Crohn's when he was 12.

"When I was 17 I had an operation for something called an ileostomy," he recalls.

"That's part of my intestine coming out of my tummy.

"For a whole year I lived with that hanging out of my tummy with a bag attached to it. So anything that passed through me was collected in that bag and then I'd empty the bag."

He says it was "very tough" and feels he's missed out on things many people take for granted like playing sport and drinking alcohol.

"I have had a bit of depression with it. There are odd days when I have a little cry, and then just get on with it," he says.

Today Liam says he still suffers from severe diarrhoea.

"It's certainly embarrassing when I'm in a public place," he says.

"If I go to a concert, the first thing I look for is the nearest toilet. That's not what regular people do.

"By the time you do the things you normally would do, like work, college or school, you are worn out completely."

Dr Sally Mitton says she and her colleagues at St George's Hospital in Tooting, south-west London, have seen a rise in the number of young people with Crohn's.

"We try to keep patients fit enough so they can stay at home but because of the increased overall number being diagnosed, the actual number needing to be admitted [to hospital] has gone up," she says.

"We know that there are many genes that predispose someone to get Crohn's disease.

"But we also know that lifestyle factors like eating a lot of junk food or taking many courses of antibiotics may make it more likely to happen."

The charity Crohn's and Colitis UK says most sufferers find fatigue the hardest symptom to handle or get treatment for.

After four years of research they are launching a new questionnaire to help quantify tiredness.

Prof Chris Norton from King's College London led the project.

She says it will help doctors establish what treatment will work best.

"Young people have told us that it really impacts their education, their social lives and their ability to get and hold down a job," she says.

Crohn's affects the immune system and is therefore medically an autoimmune disorder, which means the body produces antibodies that work against itself.

Other autoimmune disorders include rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, lupus, and Graves' disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27810066
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 08:13
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

400% increase in 10 years is quite a lot. That's only the ones diagnosed with crohn's and not IBS or celiac or various other labels, I'm sure.

I wonder how many decades it will be, before science can look back at the past, the way we look back at say, the 1870s, and recognize that things like antibiotics and frankenwheat were so destructive?

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 08:47

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hindsight and distance work wonders. Sadly, too many people are adversely affected by the time we are distanced enough to see clearly.

I sometimes think that if we'd pay more attention to Murphy's Law and not rush all meds through, or stubbornly cling to outdated, terribly wrong information, that we'd be able to improve our foresight. But the hope of improving humanity isn't what greases the wheels of progress or epiphany. It's money.

I'm so cynical. But I think I've earned the right to be. Too bad I'm not contagious. Blind acceptance never got anyone anywhere except drinking the funny Kool-aid.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 21:53

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
400% increase in 10 years is quite a lot. That's only the ones diagnosed with crohn's and not IBS or celiac or various other labels, I'm sure.

I wonder how many decades it will be, before science can look back at the past, the way we look back at say, the 1870s, and recognize that things like antibiotics and frankenwheat were so destructive?

PJ

Yep, it's a whole lot. But 5,000 is already ridiculously high. Consider the traditional populations Price observed had exactly zero incidence of Crohn's. From zero to 5,000, what's that in %? What we can say is that we're comparing two non-zero incidences of the condition, so both groups do the same thing, and one group does it more than the other. It's highly unlikely that whatever they're doing is genetics. We're talking about a 10 year span, but a 400% increase. That's not nearly enough time to explain a 400% increase in births of people who are genetically predisposed to the condition. Could be other innate functions like immunicity, but again that's also a question of births of people with these innate predispositions. No, the sole factor responsible for that kind of increase in such a short time is environmental. That makes it very easy to find. The logic is like this. Since there's a 400% increase in incidence of the condition, and since the sole factor for this increase is environmental, then this environmental factor must also have increased by 400%. However, since we're talking about a sub-group, not the entire population, the increase of this factor for the whole group must be much lower, but still high enough to be very obvious. And since we're talking about a sub-group, it must be even more obvious within this sub-group, like with smokers for example.

We're talking about a condition which is strictly limited to the gut, so I'm gonna say it must be related to what we put in that gut. I'm gonna say it's wheat. It's the first thing I'd check and the first way I'd check it is by removing wheat entirely, then see if the condition improves and to what degree, how long it takes, what else improves as the case may be, etc. It's possible we're dealing with a spectrum of conditions caused by a single factor, with Crohn's being at the extreme end of this spectrum.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-14, 23:35

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
We're talking about a condition which is strictly limited to the gut, so I'm gonna say it must be related to what we put in that gut. I'm gonna say it's wheat. It's the first thing I'd check and the first way I'd check it is by removing wheat entirely, then see if the condition improves and to what degree, how long it takes, what else improves as the case may be, etc. It's possible we're dealing with a spectrum of conditions caused by a single factor, with Crohn's being at the extreme end of this spectrum.

I agree. How hard is it to treat wheat as a suspect and have patients seriously remove it from their diet for, say, a month or two? Just to see what happens. Do this before loading up the patient with a cocktail of meds. How much would that hurt, it's not taking drugs or messing with your body.

I just don't understand the medical profession's reluctance to go this route...OOPS, I forgot, no drugs, no profit and reward from that whole system. God forbid if people treated anything with diet.

I know wheat isn't the culprit behind everything, but it's behind a heck of a lot more than everyone suspects, I'd bet money on that.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-14, 16:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I just don't understand the medical profession's reluctance to go this route...OOPS, I forgot, no drugs, no profit and reward from that whole system. God forbid if people treated anything with diet.

It's true, it's a mindset. Partly because no one realizes the wheat has changed.

I've lost track of the number of people I have informed of how wheat now has multiple chromosomes and built-in weedkiller... and they look at me like I have sprouted another head.

And they don't believe either one of them.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-14, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's true, it's a mindset. Partly because no one realizes the wheat has changed.

I've lost track of the number of people I have informed of how wheat now has multiple chromosomes and built-in weedkiller... and they look at me like I have sprouted another head.

And they don't believe either one of them.

I know, it's tragic. I wish I had KNOWN about this 10 years ago when I was trying to eat so healthy buying whole-grain breads, things made with organic corn, etc. There was so little information about this then. I reconnected with an old friend who realized she was celiac but didn't make the connection for myself -- because my primary symptoms weren't gut-related but arthritis/severe joint pains (now known as "celiac arthritis," but completely unaware of it then).

I think Dr. Davis does a great job explaining this in depth and in various ways on his blog, but I'm mystified as to why so many people are either so ignorant about this or so resistant to it. Maybe because grains are so ubiquitous, there's almost a sense that if everybody else is eating it, it must be okay. Plus the addictive pull that works on people on a subliminal level and makes them resist (as with sugar).

But it's much more accepted to shun sugar. Meanwhile, grains are pushed so hard and in SO many things that it may be just too much for some people to sort it all out and make the transition.

I just read an article in a local newspaper about how really young kids are showing severe behavioral and mood issues. I wonder how much of this imbalance is due to wheat?

I wish people would get that, as you said, it's CHANGED and not the same as what we grew up with, wheat is so much more toxic now and has complicated effects on the system.

And yet if I try to talk to people about it, there's just so little receptivity, it's almost pointless. I think about this a lot, I wonder what it will take for more people to wake up and realize that many of their health problems (and those of their kids) can get better.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-14, 12:31

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

Yes, wheat has changed for the worse, it has been bred to increase gluten content for one thing. However, even with ancient grains that had not been fiddled with, the gluten caused problems for certain people in the population, and some more than others. So it's a mistake to think the earlier grain, say from the 1800's or before, was that much healthier.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 16:19

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

I've seen and read on message boards the link of wheat to ANY autoimmune disease: IBS, hashimotos, meniere's, etc and so many people cured when they stopped eating wheat. Why doctors fight a gluten free trial is beyond me. Its free and easy.
Leslie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 19:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think wheat is "round-up ready" nowadays and they treat the fields with round-up before harvest. So you're eating a whole bunch of herbicide when you eat wheat.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 20:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

No GMO wheat has been commercially grown - yet.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 02:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

How too much junk food could destroy a young person's bowel: By bravely posing with her colostomy bag, Bethany has highlighted a disease that is on the rise
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...thats-rise.html
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 04:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
How too much junk food could destroy a young person's bowel: By bravely posing with her colostomy bag, Bethany has highlighted a disease that is on the rise

That just got me all upset... Dr. Davis, of Wheatbelly, thinks it's so avoidable.