Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 14:41

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb no more processed meats 4 me

Hi all

I decided this past weekend to start eliminating all processed heavily salted meats and other food products. I am using more fresh meat instead of bacon, salami and all those other deli meats. This morning i had eggs and cooked some fresh beef cubes in the pan instead. I feel soooooooo much better, and have found my cravings greatly decreased even more so since starting this WOE. I have more energy this week too! I have lost 4 pounds alrady int he first week!! I'm quite pleased. I have also found if you rinse canned tuna and salmon in water before eating it, you'll cut down on its sodium count. I hate RETAINING WATER!!!! and i often encounter that problem. SO i have to watch my sodium diligently and I drink A TON OF WATER TOO :

HAS ANYONE READ the book Neanderthin by eades? I hear its called the cave man diet. Is it similar to atkins? I'm thinking of reading it , it sounds intresting?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 15:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%

Good for you! Processed lunch meat I am sure is not very good for us to eat. I too am staying away from lunch meat. I didn't read the book you are talking about but I did hear about it on a radio talk show when the book came out. If I remember correctly it's all about getting back to basics and not eating anything processed. All veggies would be in their natural state and eaten raw just like nuts etc. Let me know if you read the book and what you think.

Karin in ohhhh soooo hot VA!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 22:23

Stats: 300/290/250
BF:
Progress: 20%

What type of meat isnt processed? I'll try it
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 23:09

Thumbs up whats not processed..........

well basically all FRESH meat or fish, right from the butcher or fish store. ANYTHING in its natural state isn't processed. So buy cut up beef, or steak, or ground, or pork chops instead of beef jerky, or bacon, or pastrami, that has been mixed with other ingredients like fillers and sugar. This morning i cooked some beef cubes up with some eggs, instead of bacon. It was yummy. hope this helps

Piera
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 23:11

Stats: 300/290/250
BF:
Progress: 20%

So just regular ground beef chuck from a supermarket is ok? I like to make meatloaf, and see it as the perfect meal for the Atkins diet.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 08:13

Thumbs up Where's the beef? :)

YUP... ground beef is good. Meatloaf is a greatthing for this meal plan. I find I can make one using turkey , or chicken ground too, mix it with egg, some parmesan cheese, parsley, spices and stick that in the oven to bake. YUMMY! As long as you don't put any FLOUR or bread crumbs in it, your fine and no ketchup on the side either.... use mayo instead

The left overs are
great for a quick snack the next day or even re heated for breakfast!! ENJOY

Piera
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 13:53

Stats: 227/208/180 Female 5ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm not sure, maybe someone more experience can answer this. If you eat no filler, no byproduct hot dogs and pepperoni, are this ok then? Top Dog Hot Dogs are all beef, no fillers, no byproducts and Maple Leaf makes a no filler pepperoni which has 1.0 gr of carbs in 60 grams. I've been using 2 slices a day and don't seem to be having a problem. Let me know, I'd sure be interested in knowing if I need to watch out for this.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 10:56

Default hot dogs and more

well i think the reason to limit the processed junk..cuz its simply junk and not too good for you on a regular basis. I have bought the top dogs but they do contain glucose a form of sugar, and they contain nitrate. not good. and they contain a heck of alot of salt SOoooo i wouldn't eat those things too often ..if at all. I truly believe we have to eat to fuel our bodies. Atkins really promotes eating natural and unprocessed proteins and fats. So try to strive to the most natural state possible for your food choices. Even store bought mayo should be limited. I made my own mayo and BOY is that a great change. I feel better when i eat less additives in my food, less salt , and defintiely no sugar its a win win win situation like this hope this helps
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:10

Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Re: hot dogs and more

I truly agree with you on the processed foods. The more you stick to fresh meat and veggies and no processed foods the better this way of eating if for you and I think the weight will come off better.

Would you care to share your recipe for your mayo? Can you make it in small batches and does it keep well? It hadn't occured to me to make my own.

Thanks!
Karin
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 10:33

Cool hi kaki--mayo time

well i really just experimented last week maing my own mayo

basically i used 2 eggs, half a jar of extra light pure virgin olive oil (250 ml) about 1/4 cup white vinegar, juice of half lemon, and some no- salt ( non sodium salt substitute) I threw that all in a jar and too k my hand held mixer and blended it for a few minutes. YUMMMY. I guess u could add in a couple of packets of Splenda sweetner, if you like . BUt I want to try and cut down on the sweetners altogether. I find they make me crave sweet even more even though they aren't real sugar. Hope this helps, LEt me know if it turns out )

Piera