Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 23:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default I could use some advice... Pam?

Okay, here's my pickle. I've been on Armour for over a year. I had RAI for Graves 20 or so years ago, so I have no functioning thyroid.

I felt like pooh on T4 only. I was starting to get a TSH into the 4+ range on 125mcg but on 137mcg I started get palps.

So I switched to Armour and I was on 120mg but the palps got worse. I've had all the iron tests recommended by thyroid experts at STM (I think it was) and I had a 24 hour cortisol. My cortisol is a little wonky, but not by a huge amount. My ND didn't think it was an issue. My iron is fine.

I'm perimenopasal. Still menstruating sporadically. I now can't seem to tolerate more than 90mg of Armour and sometimes not even 90mg. I'll get bad heart palpitations after taking it for a week or so and I have to back off to 60mg for awhile. Then I'll feel hypothyroid after a week or so.

It just seems like 60 and 90 mg are tiny doses for me. I should be taking at least 120mg, but I get truly hyperthyroid on that big of a dose with worsening palps, insomnia and so on.

I've thought about going back to T4 with just a small amount of cytomel. I'm one of those folks with lots of RT3 and low free T3.

I have tried T3 only and it was great for a few weeks and then I started feeling like death... I mean, it was scary how quickly my health deteriorated. I got weak, felt both hyper and hypo. Hideous.

Any suggestions? Am I just someone who needs a small dose of Armour for some reason? I'm not a tiny person... 5'7", 170 pds.

I actually feel reasonably good most of the time... but I feel like I'm teetering on a fine line between hypo and hyper and I seem to shift from one to the other easily.

Any advice would be welcome!
Sponsored Links