Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 18:31

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%
Default Anyone else have this problem?

This might be a rather "graphic" topic for some people, so continue reading at your own risk.
I was wondering if anyone else has this same problem I do. I'm talking about having a stomach that folds over in the front. Do you know what I mean? I first experienced this after I had my first baby and lost all muscle tone to my lower stomach muscles. So, my stomach kinda folds over starting at the hip bones (or where I think my hip bones are-- haven't seen 'um in years).

My question is this. Does this go away after you lose weight? Are there any exercises you know of that can help build muscles in the lower stomach so that everything will lift up and shift back into it's proper spot?

I'm sorry if that is too graphic, but I really would like to talk to someone who can help me and I was hoping that others here might share in my problem and might have found something that works.

Also, am I the only one who has ever wished there was aTRUE bariatric surgery that could just cut off the fat like you do when you trim the fat off of a roast before you cook it? I don't understand why they can't do this. I don't need my stomach organ made smaller because I don't overeat. I have chronically high insulin and I never get a chance to burn this fat off.

Anyway, just wondering out loud.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 19:49

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

Mine is disappearing as I lose weight. I am going to work at sit ups some but haven't done any so far. I am 43 so maybe my skin is still able to adjust ok. I think losing steady and drinking a lot of water will help the skin shrink as whats under it disappears. I would be interested to see what other people think as well.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 21:05

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I think most of us on here are asking the same question. Excercising will help build strong ab muscles, but that won't take care of the loose skin. There are a lot of factors that make a difference on whether your skin will shrink back up; age, elasticity, amount of weight you lose, etc. Everything I've read indicates that once you lose the fat, it can take up to a year or so for everything to finish shifting around and for the skin to shrink, if it's going to. I think we all just have to wait and see.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 08:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

That is my big problem area too. I had a c- section also and I heard that no amount of ab work will help that lower stomach if you've had a c-section. Very discouraging. The area is getting smaller as I lose weight but it still just kind of hangs there. I work out constantly and other areas are showing muscle definition but I think the only way to get rid of that lower stomach is with surgery.Anyone had luck getting insurance to pay?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 08:13

Plan: IR
Stats: 297/267/150 Female 66"
BF:Goin' Down!
Progress: 20%

I've noticed that mine hangs lower, but i don't know if its from the 30 lb loss or having my twins last year! LOL

I'm with you...I told DH that I wish they could just trim my belly off....that's my problem area!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 09:28

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

did u have a csection- i have a friend who is 110 pounds who has that problem... granted, its only a 3 or 4 inch flap of skin above her scar, but its still there.

i had the exact same problem u r describing right after i had my 2nd kid in january- it does go away. i still have a lil pooch and im my dr said once i lose the fat, i will have excess skin that will hang a bit. he said depending on my skin elasticity will depend on how bad it will be, but it will be there. i too had a csection and he said when it was done, it cut my muscle away from my skin and i could do a million situps a day and never have abs and that i will need a tummy tuck to get rid of it. im hoping to prove him wrong!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 12:52

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

you picked the right place for that question!! YUP! I have it as well, right after giving birth my stomach headed south LOL
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 13:35
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

No kids here, but have been fat all my life pretty much. I've always called (and heard others call) that fold of stomach called the "apron". Mine's really big - this might be too much information, but I recently measured and from the place underneath where it folds, to the bottom edge of the flap of skin and fat is almost 5 inches (measured standing up). I don't see how that will ever be able to be normal looking again without surgery. That much extra skin is always going to hang, I think even if I weighed 120, it might be skin only, but it would still hang a couple of inches at least. We are well beyond the pouch here, and right into hanging stomach.

I'm in Canada, so our insurance information won't help you out, but from what I can gather reading information from other Americans you might have a shot at getting it covered if it is causing medical problems, not just that it looks bad. So, if you have rashes under there (common) or anything else, see your doctor, get them documented. Keep documenting them. Make sure that by the time you are ready to ask insurance to fix this, they know you NEED to have it done.

Good luck!

Valerie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 14:29

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

good advice val!

and im sitting here trying to figure out how u measured... and i dont get it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:56
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile MsTCB ...

Seems to me like this is the perfect type of question for the TDC! We're the folks who understand these issues, too.

So, on that note, can I just say "ditto" to Valerie's first paragraph?

I've got the exact same situation, and whipped out my measuring tape ... from the center of the underneath section - right at the fold, to the lowest point my belly hangs, it's 3.5", but thick. It's 8" from crease to belly button.

BTW, I buy Head and Shoulder's shampoo specifically on this area and haven't experienced a rash in over 10 years ... It contains Pyrithione Zinc; it keeps potential yeast and fungal infections at bay. This tip from the only supersized doctor I ever saw ... just loved her. She understood all this stuff.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 17:08

Plan: LC/Whole Food
Stats: 293/271/170 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 18%

I have the same thing...I did not have a problem after having my kids so much, but after gaining 128 xtra pounds - it caused a problem!

I am terrified to have surgery....if anyone is having it or had it, I would like to know what it was like.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiM
BTW, I buy Head and Shoulder's shampoo specifically on this area and haven't experienced a rash in over 10 years ... It contains Pyrithione Zinc; it keeps potential yeast and fungal infections at bay. This tip from the only supersized doctor I ever saw ... just loved her. She understood all this stuff.

Monika - that is just about the best tip ever! I know this question went around awhile back but don't remember this as the suggestion! There is so MUCH knowledge here it just continues to amaze me!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 23:08
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Monika, I didn't know that tip either, I'll have to go get some Head & Shoulders. I'm pretty careful to keep the area clean and dry to avoid too much trouble, but every once in a while, I still get a little trouble (like tonight actually, ouch, very itchy).

I got out my measuring tape to double check, I had been estimating earlier, but I am still 4 inches from crease to bottom of the stomach hang, and 9 1/2 inches from crease to belly button.

I'm glad to see everyone talking about this too. I sometimes wonder if I get too graphic, but I really believe that with issues like this, it really helps to talk about it. I always felt so alone about these type issues before I started talking about them and found out everyone else has the same issues.

Val
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 08:47

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

OK, please don't laugh at me, but I put antipersperant under the flap. I never get a rash. Again, please don't laugh.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 09:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Mine's getting smaller but after 2 c-sections, I'm resigned to the fact it will always be there. From what I understand, sit ups won't help because you can't spot reduce. You are all brave for measuring yours!