Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 21:51
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

oh i forgot to add...about my current diet...just so u know what a change i have to make...i always start off good...then go WAY OFF!!! For example today: Breakfast:PLAIN oatmeal, lunch can of tuna, low carb bread, houmous. HUGE BAD SNACK!!) 3 bowls of muselei (dont know how to spell) one banana, Dinner: chicken, veggies, whole wheat pita, homous, ANOTHER bowl of muslei!!!! I think thats all...oh and a soy cafe latte....i know its HORRIBLE!! Ive been eating like this for a week!! I just find it so hard to eat right....i know its my health on the line...so starting tomorrow im giving myself a challenge...by the way...how did u guys just give up ur bad habbits??? Wasnt it sssooo HARD??? Of course i know PCOS is even worse to have then eating the bad foods...its just a matter of getting urself on the right track
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins starting Saturday
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Hummus is not a bad snack.

Or, is it for LC'ers? I've had it in the past. I think the danger is what GOES with the hummus, such as pita bread, chips, etc.

Please clarify if I am incorrect about the big H.

WAIT - what was the big bad snack you are referring too? LOL Was it that other stuff? Muslei? What the heck is that anyway??
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 07:46

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would suggest incorporating protein in with each meal or snack. If you are going to have oatmeal for breakfast, have some eggs or chicken or nuts or something else to make your breakfast stay with you longer.

Also, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one. But I think soy is bad food, unless it is properly prepared or fermented. It definently should only be a sometimes food if consumed. Because soy has substances that can act like hormones for women, I think women with PCOS especially should avoid it like the plague. PCOSers already have major hormonal issues anyway.

For your fast metabolism, adding natural fats and proteins should help you out. One of the probs with foods like museli is that it is mostly carb so your body burns through it very quickly. I know you are avoiding dairy, but maybe you can incorporate eggs, fish, nuts (almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans), fowl, and red meat.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hee hee muslei is a health food but it has raisons in it which r high in sugars...and its like oatmeal and other grains...one bowl is not too bad...but three at one time...not good. Shazzer...the thing about eggs...is im afriad they will break me out...i usually never eat them and on south beach ate them like crazy...it could have just been the dairy...but im scared to try! My skin is looking tons better...and w nuts...they sort of break me out too...at least i noticed it when i ate these stupid cashews that gave me huge tummy ache but also they had salt, and were roasted in peanut oil so they r not good for me anyways...maybe plain nuts wont break me out?? I am sorry i am being so difficult when u give me suggestions...im just so scared about my skin breaking out bad again....bc it depressed me so much and i get depressed even when i get a small one...i will slowly be able to add more foods in once im 100% clear and can test what will break me out...until now im going to stay away from the foods that i think do...although im still being bad...i had coffee again this morning! But i will give it up at the end of this week when i stop going to work...as for yesterday i ate healthy all day except only two bowls of muslei for dinner (i finished it off so no more today!!) oh and by the way i do eat fish and chicken...and i agree too much dairy is not good...i try not to have it so much...but rice milk breaks me out on chest (i know i must sound CRAZY but it really does...) and flaxseed oil which is supposed to be good breaks me out in painful pimples on my back that last a long time and scar...i tried flaxseed oil bc i hear all these good things about it..after 2 weeks i noticed my breaking out on back...quit the flaxseeds and no more break outs and now my back clear and no scars (that happened like 3 months ago) as for rice milk...noticed it one month ago stopped and now my chest is clear....its so frustrating bc i have to really watch what i eat...i dont know why ive become so allergice...i suspect im sensitive to too much oils...bc im already very oily...rice milk has saflower oil or something added to it...now i only use olive oil ...which is not a problem...i just pray i solve my problems soon...its like i take one step forward then step back...but i guess its a part of life...learning...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

oops shazzer i meant too much SOY is not good for u agree w u...i dont eat Dairy at all anymore....made mistake
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 08:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Qwert, many people are allergic to cashews - they have a chemical similar to what's in poison ivy - maybe you could try almonds instead and see if you have any reactions. Pistachios and mangoes are in the same botanical family as cashews and many people react to them as well.

Also, muesli looks pretty high carb to me - if you must have it, try eating it with fat and protein in the same meal, because when you eat a bunch of carbs by themselves you spike up your blood sugar and insulin and that's what we're trying to avoid. I believe those insulin spikes contribute to our PCOS. The fat and protein will help level out your blood sugar jump.

Also, rice milk has a lot of sugar in it, I suspect you are reacting to that and not to any oil in it.

If you feel oily, I doubt it's coming straight from your food - I think it's from your hormones, probably the androgenic ones that are making you break out in acne. I personally had more androgen symptoms when my insulin levels were high, which was when I was eating lots of carbs of course. My skin became drier when I started eating more fat instead. Maybe when you are ready you could try fish oil instead of flax.

Of course, Shazzer has pointed out that we are getting hormones in our food supply that mess us up too if we are sensitive to them, so even a perfect diet might not help us completely if we are eating antibiotics and pesticides.

You poor girl, it sounds like your hormones are a total mess! If you decide to pester your doctor again for hormones tests insist on saliva testing, that's the best way to measure them from what I've read. I can try to Google up a page for you after work tonight if you can't find anything on your own.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 08:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzer
Also, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one. But I think soy is bad food, unless it is properly prepared or fermented. It definently should only be a sometimes food if consumed. Because soy has substances that can act like hormones for women, I think women with PCOS especially should avoid it like the plague. PCOSers already have major hormonal issues anyway.

Oh, and I completely agree with this myself!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 21:49
Wanna Be A Loser!

Plan: SouthBeach
Stats: 216.4/212/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
Plumtired, I use Life-flo Progestacare. I know some ladies who really like Emerita Progest, but I tried it and found it too oily-feeling for my skin, although you might like it if your skin is dry. They both work well. John Lee has a list of what he considers good products in the back of his book that I checked when I first started buying the stuff.

BTW, I've been using it off and on for three years, and so far I haven't noticed any bad side-effects.

Thanks so much for sharing this information!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 07:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Grimalkin, Thanks you so much for ur reply! I think i should stay away from all nuts!! Wow i did not know about the cashews or the pistachios!! GOOD THING U TOLD ME that they r related to mangos! Ive been allergic to mangos for a long time! They make my lips break out in rash!! You can notice it...but it makes them itch and feel like sandpaper. I hate this. I wish I just knew EXACTLY what im allergic too!! This is all so hard and frustrating bc its like i have to watch ALL my foods. What I do notice is when i drink coffee it makes me more oily or smoke cigs...I know both are horrible for u..and im in process of quitting. I used to smoke a pack a day...then cut down to 10...now im at 2 cigs a day...today i smoked one and thats it im going to quit from here...bc now my cravings for it are almost none so i hope it wont be too hard...as for coffee...once i stop it for like 2 days im fine...but once i start again...i get addicted! I just like the buzz it gives me...which is prob really bad that it gives me such a buz...prob makes my insulin levels go like CRAZY!! Im sorry everyone that i keep complaining...I just feel so frustrated..its like ANY FOODS I LIKE has a BAD effect on me!! Its like I can only eat veggies, fish, and chicken...w no problems...the other things im not sure about...and there r a lot of foods i know for SURE break me out....esp FLAX SEEDS AND DAIRY!!! Its really hard for me bc im already thin and when i eat extra healthy i lose weight FAST...like 1lb a day! But I wonder something...i have a bunch of friends...and they hardly eat...like they have to eat very little to stay thin...and they have no acne problem...but my one friend and I who have acne problems are on the thin side...do u think its bc we can eat what ever we want so we eat a lot more.....thus raising our insulin levels and perhaps eating things we react to? My skin has improved a lot since giving up dairy...but its still not perfect...i am almost 100% sure its bc of the coffee and cigs...and im not exactly sure what else. I have a question for everyone....do your symptoms just keep getting worse and worse as u get older? I know they say if u lose weight it helps them...but im almost 5'8 and 127lbs...but u can pinch an inch of fat on my back...maybe its bc i still have some fat on me?? My family is all thin...im half asian...so maybe im jsut meant to be super thin and i could be a bit overweight...for me i mean...most people would think im perfect..but maybe those few extra lbs r effecting me..what do u think?? Who has had their symptoms improve???
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

wow...i just read that smoking will mess up your bodies ability to use insulin and insulin resistance does not start to reverse until after 10-12 hours!! By the way im at work...and since i jsut intern they dont give me work so basically i sit at the computer 8 hours a day...looking up things on internet
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 07:39

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Qwert. We're your allies here in this fight to stop PCOS. I think every woman here has gone through the same frustrations with finding a diet that works. And the earth is a bountiful place, so don't give up. You will find foods that work for you. (and don't worry about complaining. You are just frustrated and have a right to be)

As for nuts, there are big differences in what could be a good nut for you. Cashews and peanuts must be heated before consumption to kill off the natural poisons. Nuts that can be eaten raw include almonds, macadamias, walnuts, and pecans. I find macadamias to be the most delicious. Anyway, it might be a good way for you to try adding more fat into your diet. But start out with just a handful.

Grimalkin - How did you first stumble across the natural progesterones as a good solution for you?
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 07:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default shazzer

Shazzer, Can you please give me an example of what diet you follow? Also did it help your symptoms?? I just want to get some ideas...like what foods do you stay away from and why? Im so frustrated...my skin is breaking out a bit...it seems like WHENEVER it starts to clear...it breaks out AGAIN!! Its making me upset...of course there are some factors...could have been the soy i started to consume, the coffee that i started drinking again, or the smoking i started to smoke like 10 days ago after i quit for 10 days! OR it could have been the flaxseeds I accidently had in my muselei...which i know i break out from on back and chest for sure...but not sure if it effects my face! Anyways what i find wierd is since ive been home i had break outs on my neck...near my jaw...and on the outside of my face...around my jaw ear area....the different foods i have had since home was the soy and more fruits...but i stopped both 2 days ago...i hope that helps. Dairy is what caused me to break out around my mouth...its like im scared to eat anything bc i dont want to break out...my skin just feels itchy!! What symptoms do you have??
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 13:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

sorry i just read ur earlier post and u already told me! But can u give me an example of how u eat through out one day please?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 20:18

BF:

Hi Shazzer,

I just heard about it from a friend who used it, and I've been experimenting with it since with good results. I do try to be careful though, there is little research out there and some doctors claim it it is easy to overdose and experience a recurrence of estrogenic symptoms.

Qwert, your reaction to the mango sounds classic for that allergy! I wish I could help you more with your diet, all I know is that the muesli would make me break out exactly as you describe - on the jawline - but the fats don't have that effect on me at all.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 20:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Grimalkin...so you just follow a low carb diet? Like meats and veggies?? And that keeps u clear? My sister came home and the weekend was spent w family and i ate bad whole weekend and now im paying for it big time on my face...its so unfair...that i get such bad reactions just from little things of being naughty....not to mention frustrating