Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/285/240 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:
Default Trip to India

I will be traveling to India on business in a week or so and would like some suggestions of low carb foods that I can take with me. I've thought of nuts but not much else.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:49

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Beef jerkey maybe?

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 19:30

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

I recently went on a 4 day trip where I wasn't sure how much food I could rely on to be low carb. I brought nuts, beef jerky, sugar free gum, and several Atkins Advantage bars. I never usually eat the bars, but they're not bad, have a decent amount of protein and do a fairly good job of filling you up. People thought I was crazy for bringing so much food with me, but it helped (though I eventually caved and had to try some southern food). Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 11:35

Stats: 240/205/160 Male 5'8"
BF:Scared to find out
Progress: 44%

Where exactly would you be going? I might be able to give you some suggestions as to what to avoid and so on.

Cheers
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 12:30

Stats: 320/285/240 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

I'll be traveling to Bangalore and some unheard of towns in India. After that trip, I go to Korea and Taiwan. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:50

Bangalore is nice, you will like it. It is pretty cosmopolitan and has a lot of the things you are probably used to here, plus it also has the traditional Indian things to do, see, eat and drink.

Just make sure you drink bottled water. If that is not possible make sure that the water is boiled before you drink it.

Avoid foods like (I shall give the Indian names here) Idly, Dosa, Masala Dosa, Poori, Roti, Chapati, Paraata, rice, khichdi, upma (pronounced oopma), breads cakes and pastries of course, which pretty much leaves you nothing much to eat

No, actually you can eat a lot of things: Curries for example. Just make sure that there is no sugar or jaggery (brown sugar) added in the cooking, and also that no cornstarch or flour is added while cooking. Sometimes the restaurants also add rice-flour to give it some body, make sure that is avoided. Normally restaurants will cook things the way you want it if you specify it explicitly.

Meats generally are cooked in two ways - tandoori style (basically barbecued in an earthen oven) or in curries. You are pretty much safe with the tandoori style meats, fish and birds, just make sure you take precautions with the curried types for the earlier mentioned reasons.

Avoid curds (yogurt), buttermilk and of course any sweets because 99% of Indian sweets are made with flour and/or dairy.

You can eat ghee (clarified butter), but it is not usually available by itself other than in stores.

Avoid anything that sounds like Pilaf or Pulav or Biriyani because they are all rice cooked in various spices including saffron. Very tasty and aromatic, but not Atkins approved

Avoid any dal of any kind. Avoid bajji, bonda, mysore bonda, vadai, pakoda beause they are all battered and fried dishes.

Veggies are usually boiled or fried or once again, curried. Be careful with the curried types.

By the way, for everyone here, Curry is not a dish in India. Curry means gravy. So you never just ask for Curry. You ask for Chicken curry or lamb curry or vegetable curry or egg curry etc. And curry can be cooked in infinitely different ways depending on what you put into it in terms of the liquid, veggies, spices etc. Every state/province in India makes curries in different tastes. Everyone who meets me for the first time or speaks with me on the phone and realises I am Indian always says "I love Curry, do you make/eat curry"? I have to explain all this to them

In the unheard towns you mention, it may be difficult to order in English, which is why I gave you some Indian names.

If there is anything else I can tell you, feel free to ask.

Hope this hhelps.

Cheers
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:50

By the way, B'lore is also known as the Silicon Valley of India.

Cheers