Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 10:11

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Cool Adreneline

I just read someone's post about how many calories get burned from hugging, changing clothes, have sex....so this crossed my mind....

Last night I had my first aid training class. It was supposed to be a class on rough terrain extrication, it turned out to be a full on triage senario. A quick description to get the idea of why the adreneline was pumping.

Senario: Barbeque exploded in the park, two casualties which turned out to be three (one tried to go for help with rebar protruding out of their chest). One guy was a real actor who works on shows like X-file, Dark Angel, Stargate....he was really quite good...he had his whole left side burnt and couldn't breathe and was freaking out like crazy.

Okay....so as you can imagine, my heart was going a trillion thumps per minute...I'm getting shaky just writing this. While there was no real physical exercise going on, I had felt like I had run a marathon after.

So my question....adreneline rushes like that, i.e. medics, ER docs, firemen and the such. How many calories get burned when the rush is on? And this afterburn affect I keep reading about...would there be any of that?

Looking forward to the replies!

Linnea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 18:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Linnea, just stumbled across this. Can't help you with how many calories expended, etc. But I can tell you that you just described how and ECA stack effects your system - triggering that 'fight or flight' response w/o resulting in any physical exercise.

Bottom line is that you did get some calorie burning effect out of it - how much? No clue

Nat