Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 20:41

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 230/159.2/145 Female 5'9"
BF:32%/29%/21%
Progress: 83%
Default Aching abs

I took a 30 minute ab class at my gym on Friday, and my abs, especially lower abs are still in real pain. I hadn't taken the class before but also didn't think that I'd still be sore 5 days later. I mean, I've tried doing Pilates and ab exercises today and yesterday and I've been in such physical pain that I can't do them. I'm thinking that my abs were super over used on Friday and are still trying to get over the workout. I was wondering if this is something that someone else has experienced or if there are suggestions for getting my abs out of pain. It's hard for me to even lie straight back without completely supporting myself because they hurt so much.

Thanks to anyone with any advice or suggestions!
Kristy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 20:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 246/209.5/210 Male 76"
BF:
Progress: 101%

When I have over done a particular area in the gym I'll usually try and gently stretch the area several times per day and attempt to get a little extra sleep at night. The extra sleep helps me recover quicker.

Joe
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 02:20

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Kristy!!!!I have no advice for you at all!!..so why am i here you ask?
Well...I want to pick YOUR brains!!
When i exercise, everywhere else hurts EXCEPT for my Abs...no matter what i do..I cant get the burn!! So tell me ...what did you do to produce such spectacular success?!?!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 09:09

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 230/159.2/145 Female 5'9"
BF:32%/29%/21%
Progress: 83%

Thanks for the advice Joe!

Kiwigal, I'll try to explain the workout that we did and if it's confusing I'll try to explain it better First, we had a 30 minute interval treadmill workout as the cardio then we went into the aerobics room. We did a total of about 30 minutes in the aerobics room but we were taking breaks through out that time because it was so intensive on our abs. The first thing we did required three people but I'll put how to modify it. One person lays on the floor, one person stands at the head of the person on the floor, and one person stands by the side of the person laying down. The person on the floor grabs the ankles of the person at their head and for 2 minutes you throw your legs up in a straight line into the air. The person standing by your side throws your legs down to the ground, trying to get your heels to touch the ground. This is incredibly difficult! If you don't have other people, you can grab the legs of a chair and just throw your legs up and down without touching the ground. I don't think it's as intense but it still burns! Then, we took about a 2-3 minute break and did situps with a partner. I had a 10 pound weight that I held while someone held my feet. Then, we did situps without someone holding our feet. This was probably 4 minutes total (I don't remember). Then, we did what was called watching TV and the ladies in the class told me that watching TV would not be considered fun again! I understand why You lay on your stomach to begin with your arms bent at your side as in a push up. Actually, this exercise is like doing a push up but once you are up, you stay up. Our instructor told us that we were going to do this for 5 minutes, when you couldn't hold it any longer, go down to recover, then get right back up. So, you push yourself off the floor pulling in your abs the whole time and you are actually leaning on your elbows rather than all the way up on your hands. If you don't feel something after this workout, I'd think you wouldn't have abs lol. I am finally not sore, 9 days later!

Kristy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 02:53

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Righto..thanks for that..I will throw myself on the floor tomorrow and endeavour to accomplish some pain!!! I'll keep ya posted!