Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 12:15

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Advice for lifting/cardio?

Hi!
Lately I've been enjoying my lifting more and more, but enjoying my cardio less and less. As a result, over the past month I've decreased my cardio by quite a bit. For a while I was doing 30min cardio 4x/wk and 1 hr cardio 2x/wk. Then it was 20 min 5x/wk, now it's more like 20 min once a week and 30 min once a week.

My current routine looks like this:

Day 1: chest, shoulders, tris, 20 min cardio

flat or incline bench press with dumbbells 3x8
arnold or military presses 3x8
side lateral raises 3x8
tricep press down machine 3x8
overhead single-arm tricep extensions or other isolation exercise 3x8

Day 2: back and biceps, abs

lat pull down 3x8
one-arm dumbbell rows 3x8
standing alternating bicep curls 3x8
weighted back hyperextensions 3x8
incline situps 3x8
incline reverse crunches 3x8
weighted 45 degree oblique side bend 2x12

Day 3: cadio 20-30 min, depending on day

Day 4: legs

squats, as far down as I can go, 3x8 (65 lbs right now)
reverse lunges 3x8
straight-leg dead lifts 3x8
standing calf raises 3x8

I alternate these 3 routines and throw a day or two of rest in per week. So on average I get 4 days of lifting in and 2 days with cardio.

I've noticed over the past month or so that my weight loss has slowed down considerably and I'm wondering if I need to increase my cardio again. I still have a good amount of fat to lose.

I also want to do more on my lifting days. Yesterday was legs, and I threw some SLOW extensions, curls and leg press into my routine. It really helped to feel the burn in my muscles that dont always feel it. I also did extra curls on bicep day and I really liked that too.

So I guess what I'm wondering is this... Should I dedicate only 3 days per week to lifting, with no cardio, but more time to add exercises and focus on the lifting, then do cardio the other 2-3 days per week? Or should I keep the routine the way it is?

One more question!! (my, this is getting long...) I read somewhere that the lower back needs more time to recover than other muscles and that it should have a long time to rest before doing squats. My lower back sometimes is still a little sore when I do squats. If I did the 3 days/wk of lifting, I could do this
Monday: legs
Wed: back/bi/abs
Fri: chest/sh/tri
which would give me a lot longer for my back to recover.

What do you guys think?? How should I try to get more cardio in, but still addd more to my lifting?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links