Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 11:40

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Getting the balance with a default diet

Quote:
Getting the balance with a default diet

Controlling your weight while eating what you like is an age-old problem. I look at the best way of keeping the calories in check and having a bit of what you fancy

Yo-yo dieting actually sounds quite good, a bit like a new fad. The South Beach diet, the Paleo diet, The Yo-yo diet. It conjures up, for me, images of Californians in vaguely 1970s inspired beachwear, working out to the strains of Olivia Newton John learning how to 'walk the dog' using light-up yo-yos. But alas that's not actually the case.

Yo-yo dieters are people who can lose weight – but end up putting it all back on. And often adding even more. So while their weight goes up and down – the trajectory over time is usually upwards.

Losing weight, whilst hard, is a relatively simple process. You cut back on what you eat and increase your activity and, hey presto, over time you get thinner. Lots of people know how to do that.

But maintaining that healthy weight once you've achieved it is, for many, harder.

Remember, people put on weight because they've started over-eating again even though they may only do it occasionally. And let's face it, most of us over-eat occasionally – often at the weekends, at a party or a night out.

So I suggest what we need is a 'default diet'. A fall-back dietary position that allows you to maintain your weight over time whilst also allowing you to occasionally over indulge.

Now bear in mind what that means. If, Monday to Friday, you eat a quantity of food that actually maintains your weight but then you over-indulge at the weekends, you will – over time – gain weight.

If you want to have a few drinks at the weekend and maybe a dinner out or a big brunch, then your default diet must be one where you eat a little below your calorie requirements during the week in order to stay the same weight over time.

In other words, if you want your fry at the weekend you need to have a salad at some point mid-week. It's called balance.

Professor Donal O'Shea's obesity clinic in Loughlinstown hospital did a very interesting study on patients who'd lost weight and kept it off, compared to those who had lost weight but regained it.

The group who'd kept the weight off did two things differently; they weighed themselves every day (I've already championed the virtues of this) and they ate almost the same food every day. They had a default diet.

The beauty of a default diet is, it gives you control. You design it yourself – so you eat stuff you like. And you can maintain it long term. So when you've had a food blip like Christmas or a weekend away, you quickly revert to your default diet and get back on track.
http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle...t-30010928.html

Some good advice here for maintainers, though I'd lower carbs as opposed to restricting calories!

I do have a default diet that I revert to from time to time, which consists of cutting out the starchier carbs, such as sweet potatoes, along with fruit and nuts.

Does anyone else do the same? Or do you have a completely different method to keep the balance?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-14, 16:28

Plan: Ideal Protein
Stats: 177.7/109/112.7 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi...this is my first post.
My screen name describes me. I am 65 and lost 65 lbs by my 65th birthday following a locarb diet, starting in January of 2013. I'm still new at maintenance, and looking for sensible ways to keep the weight off. Saw a slight gain after the holidays and recently with being stuck at home due to a dreadful winter in my part of the country. Can't wait to get out more!

Demi-Your posting and approach makes sense to me..it is very common sense and manageable day to day. I also exercise 6 days a week. Thinking I may need to shake that routine up a bit. Looking forward to reading what others have tried. I'm older and that has it's challenges...as does being under 5 ' tall .... therefore "blessed" with a lower BMR. (Raw deal!!!) But ....happy to have lost enough weight to be at a normal BMI and in excellent health!

Last edited by 65X65 : Wed, Feb-26-14 at 16:37.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 06:21
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
sorry just saw this.
I pretty much stay on plan all the time, but I do allow myself a couple of alcoholic drinks a week, and maybe a dessert. If I notice the needle on the scale rising- I do weigh daily- I will cut out sugar and alcohol. The longer I do this the easier it is to not have those foods, too. It is just a way to 'tighten up' my plan and get back to basics. Like some people here say- eating 'cleaner'.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 07:10

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just came across this thread, Demi. Thanks for posting. Congratulations to 65X65 - tremendous achievement.

I'm 64, so I know it's harder to lose weight at this age. But maintenance can be even harder, I've found. I do what the article says: to maintain I can have a little dairy, a little 90% chocolate, a few nuts, a couple glasses of wine one or twice a week. The problems begin when a "little" morphs into "a little more", which inevitably leads to something instantly harmful like "a few" M&Ms or "a" sugar cookie. At that point the scale will show a gain. Maybe only a lb, but there will be another lb the next day if I don't pull myself together immediately. I then have to go strict low carb, with carbs coming from no other source but non-starchy vegetables. And it's hard to go back there once you've had that bloody sugar cookie!

Currently I'm at war with the scale. I know I should weigh daily because, yes, that does keep me honest. But I also feel it's adding yet another stressor to my life - like taking a pass/fail test every morning. I'm aware that I feel this way because there have been too many "fail" mornings and if the scale was steadily going down I'd be jumping on it enthusiastically and feeling no stress at all. So, I'm re-focusing on accepting the scale as just another low carb tool and not an all-powerful Dictator who lives in my bathroom and tells me how I should feel about myself.

Yeah, staying in maintenance can be hard. But still better than being fat and unhealthy again.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 07:26

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Woofan, I left the scale out on the bathroom floor yesterday morning and BF came home, saw the scale sitting out and asked me if I was ok LOLOL Know the feeling of the scale stressing you!

I liked the article too, I believe one "sugar cookie" and many of us will be spinning out of control fast. I am no way near maintaining to throw assumptions out there, we all know every time I get close, I have to go buy bigger jeans. But, I think if we were able to keep it clean all week and keep the "other" stuff in moderation on the weekends we could probably hold our weight. I just have never been good at that moderation or keeping it clean thing.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-14, 08:15

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Woofan, I left the scale out on the bathroom floor yesterday morning and BF came home, saw the scale sitting out and asked me if I was ok LOLOL

That's hilarious, Jackie. You may not be in maintenance yet, but what I admire about you is that you never give up. You have climbed back from slips time and time again, and you read and frequently post here, which shows that your goal to be healthy and slim is always a priority in your mind no matter what. That's the attitude that will get you to maintenance.