Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 18:57

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Worst of all is carbs over 35% and fats over 35% combined....

Interesting. This is probably where the "lapsed lowcarber" lands, much of the time. Accustomed to eating plenty of fat, the carbs just edge up and up...

Ubizmo
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: Palaeo/Groves/Kwasniewski
Stats: 171/171/171 Male 177 cm
BF:18%/18%/18%
Progress:

I found the absence of an index to Kwasniewski's "Optimal Nutrition" irritated me, so I compiled my own. It takes up 13 A4 pages and is more detailed than any publisher's index would be. I'd be happy to e-mail a copy to anyone who requests it from me at keith~evfit.com.

It's still in draft, so let me know of anything missing and I'll add the references.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 09:05

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
Interesting. This is probably where the "lapsed lowcarber" lands, much of the time. Accustomed to eating plenty of fat, the carbs just edge up and up...

Ubizmo
oooh, good point!
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 09:05

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmecia
I found the absence of an index to Kwasniewski's "Optimal Nutrition" irritated me, so I compiled my own. It takes up 13 A4 pages and is more detailed than any publisher's index would be. I'd be happy to e-mail a copy to anyone who requests it from me at keith~evfit.com.

It's still in draft, so let me know of anything missing and I'll add the references.
What a great contribution. When I get back to my work computer I'll ask for one.
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-10, 18:42
Registered Member

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
What a great contribution. When I get back to my work computer I'll ask for one.
I have distributed a few copies. I'd also appreciate comments on the index from Optimal Diet users who have been on the diet for some time and who may not have referred to "Optimal Nutrition" for a while, but who have enough experience with the diet to make informed criticism of my work.
  #126   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 12:31

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I have distributed a few copies. I'd also appreciate comments on the index from Optimal Diet users who have been on the diet for some time and who may not have referred to "Optimal Nutrition" for a while, but who have enough experience with the diet to make informed criticism of my work.
It is a great contribution, and after receiving my copy yesterday, I enjoyed reading it for a while. My book is still on its way from Poland, and I am eagerly awaiting it.
  #127   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 20:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

This seems to be very interesting. It actually makes me nervous to think about my ideal weight which is 130 - 144.... Can I actually make it? Is it too much pressure to even think like that, rather than going for a more comfortable goal weight of my own choosing?
  #128   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-10, 09:22

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarren
This seems to be very interesting. It actually makes me nervous to think about my ideal weight which is 130 - 144.... Can I actually make it? Is it too much pressure to even think like that, rather than going for a more comfortable goal weight of my own choosing?

kaarren, these questions are the same that I have. Here's how I decided to think about it:

(1) He says to use ideal weight as the basis for calculating protein requirement, which in turn is the basis for calculating the other macros.

(2) We're to eat the ratios 1:2.5:0.8 (protein:fat:carb) until we "stabilize" at our ideal weight. Well, since I have so much to lose, even with 15 lbs skin, if I get down there I'll be more like 147. If I lose zero LBM and get down to 25 BMI, I'll be 175 (excluding excess skin). This is very confusing.

(3) Focus on the word "stabilize". In all likelihood, if my body (including my skin) doesn't want to get down to 132, my weight will stabilize at some point. What's that mean? Until I have my books and can see if there's any more guidance in there, I'm guessing no weight loss for 12 months. I'm basing this on having read others' experiences with looooong plateaus.

(4) Therefore, I'm basing my macros on ideal body weight, but not using "ideal body weight" necessarily as my goal weight (though that's what I've entered in my stats---for now). If my weight stabilizes at 175---meaning I hang out there for 12 months with no change, I might declare myself finished, and move to the maintenance ratios of 1:3.5:0.8. These will still control my insulin (due to control of both protein and carbs), so hopefully prevent any weight gain after I go to all this work to lose the fat.

hope that's helpful in some way
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 02:24
Registered Member

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts
It is ...My book is still on its way from Poland, and I am eagerly awaiting it.
My copy of Homo Optimus arrived today, 18 days after I posted the form to the publisher. I did not receive an acknowledging e-mail. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book contains 133 recipes.
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 07:00

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
My copy of Homo Optimus arrived today, 18 days after I posted the form to the publisher. I did not receive an acknowledging e-mail. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book contains 133 recipes.
It is an interesting read--if you find the first part a little wierd, keep going, because it has dietary information mixed in.
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 04:53
Registered Member

Progress:

I posted another Kwasniewski topic here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=417646

Perhaps I should have posted it here as this single thread appears to serve as an Optimal Diet forum. What do you think?
  #132   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 07:40

Quote:
I posted another Kwasniewski topic here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=417646

Perhaps I should have posted it here as this single thread appears to serve as an Optimal Diet forum. What do you think?

Probably a good idea to post it here, since there aren't that many people interested in it, and this thread seems to be the place to talk about it.

Quoting from that other thread:

Quote:
- not required by ordinary human cells (p122)
- not required every meal, just every day (p71)
- required in food or body has to produce them – mainly from protein (pp38, 45)
- carbohydrates should not be dropped entirely (p131)
- potatoes the best source (p39).

He divides food into recommended, acceptable in moderate quantities and basically uneatable (p57). His uneatable list includes:
• sugar and all sugary products
• sweetened fruit jams, jellies, purees etc.
• all floury products: bread, cake, dumpling, ordinary pancakes
• all kinds of flours and starches (except those used in very small quantities in Optimal Nutrition recipes).
And yet, his recipes include Jell-O (p 139), flour (pp 144, 148, 160), breadcrumbs (p 144), sugar (p 150).

Potatoes (one average size per person per day) appear in his list of acceptable foods.

To add to the confusion, at one point in the book, he explains that some carbohydrate foods are condoned, because he expects people will be unable to give them up completely, and he feels he must be realistic. This approach confuses me: I would much rather have the clear nutritional/physiological principles laid down and leave any ‘bending of the rules’ to the individual preferences of the optimal eater. There will be some who are fully capable of sticking to a diet; they need clear guidance.

I haven't read the book, nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. I'm following the diet, to the extent that I try to adhere to the macronutrient ratios, as I understand them. I don't know if JK is ambivalent about carbs, or just trying to be accommodating.

For example, the first set of claims is consistent, if read in a certain way. It's true that there is no dietary requirement for carbs. It's also true that JK we are better off if we eat some. So, although the human organism doesn't "require" carbs, the Optimal Diet does.

Obviously I haven't looked at the recipes. It seems that things like flour and sugar are on the "avoid" list, but not forbidden outright. I agree that this could be confusing. I suppose the best way to understand his recommendations is to think of them as minimizing exposure to sugar and flour.

Ubizmo
  #133   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 05:31
Registered Member

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
Probably a good idea to post it here, since there aren't that many people interested in it, and this thread seems to be the place to talk about it.
OK. I would like to know what dedicated optimal dieters outside Poland (from, say, UK, Canada, USA, Australia) have for breakfast. I don't see most of you having Kwasniewski's porridge or headcheese loaf - so what do you have?
  #134   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: Meat/eggs/cheese/vegies
Stats: 304/245/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

When I tried JK, breaking fast usually consisted of:

3 eggs scrambled in butter

6 oz of potato fried in butter

4 slices of liverwurst

1/2 cup of heavy cream
  #135   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 12:33

I often have 3 boiled eggs, 4 strips of bacon, and some fruit or berries in a half cup of sour cream.

Or I just have some leftover meat from the day before.

Ubizmo