Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 05:59
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default CCARB Study

I received this in my e-mail from a survey I completed more than a year ago.

"Dear Low Carb Survey Participant,

In the summer of 2001 you very kindly participated in the Internet-based Low Carbohydrate Weight Loss Diet Study. I am very pleased to announce that based on it’s success --- we received over 6,000 responses in two months! --- and the need for long-range studies on people who use lower carbohydrate diets, we’ve created a new study called The CCARB Study. CCARB stands for Controlled Carbohydrate Assessment Registry Bank Study.

I am contacting you now because you indicated you might be interested in participating in a longer range study. The CCARB Study website is at https://epi.aecom.yu.edu/ccarbs To visit our website, please paste this address into your Internet Explorer browser.

The purpose of the CCARB Study is to establish an Internet-based cohort of people who use controlled carbohydrate diets. The CCARB Study will be the very first study to do this. We plan to follow participants for at least three years each. We are very interested in participants’ dietary and exercise habits as well as their weight and health patterns.

Participants will be asked to complete a set of questionnaires (via the Internet) soon after they enroll, three months later and then once a year for three years. Although not an absolute requirement, we are strongly urging participants to have their heights and weights measured by their health care providers* at baseline and every year. We realize this may be an inconvenience, but it will greatly add to the study’s scientific validity. As you know many members of the scientific community are very skeptical about controlled carbohydrate diets and they will take a study with objectively measured weights much more seriously.

CCARB participants will receive, in addition to the satisfaction of contributing significantly to scientific knowledge about controlled carbohydrate diets, the following free services:
·Dietary analyses each time they complete questionnaires
·Access to a nutritionist to ask questions online
·Monthly newletters on controlled carbohydrate topics and other health-related topics
·Controlled carbohdyrate recipes
As mentioned above, our website is located at https://epi.aecom.yu.edu/ccarbs
To visit our website, please paste this address into your Internet Explorer browser. We would be delighted if you would come register for the short screening questionnaire to see if your are eligible for the study.

I thought you might also be interested in the results of the Low Carbohydrate Weight Loss Diet Study which I’ve included as a PDF attachment with this email. These results were published as an abstract in the September 2002 Supplement issue of The Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Again, thank you very much for your contribution to this research.

Yours truly,
CJ Segal-Isaacson
Principal Investigator

* In addition to doctors, we are happy to have nurses, physician assistants, med technicians at the medical office, chiropractors, registered dietitians, physical therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists sign off on the weight forms.

CJ Segal-Isaacson, EdD, RD
Division of Health, Behavior and Nutrition
Epidemiology and Social Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Room 1308A Belfer Building
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, New York 10461
Phone: (718) 430-2161
Fax: (718) 430-8634
Email: isaacson~aecom.yu.edu "

Sounds interesting!

Beth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 18:00
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

Hi Elihnig I just finished the questionare and am filling out the papers tomorrow and mailing them. Thanks for the link.