Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 182/163/140
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Turtle?

Hello...well when I first started this process I thought I was a turtle and someone responded back that I was not fitting the criteria. I am pretty sure now that I am though...I've been on this way of life for 3 months now and I've lost 12 lbs.(not that I am complaining). It seems like most people by 3 months have lost 20 or more lbs. It seems like i just play with the same 3 lbs back and forth. It was funny because the last time I got a whoosh was like last week and that was after about a 6 week stall. I didn't do anything different. I think my body just is taking longer to adjust to this WOL...but I am really happy with it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I wanted to post an answer because this message looked as though it had been ignored.

Check out lindagayle's current stats. As of Nov., she is down about 20 pounds with about that left to go to get to her goal. At 5'3", 120 is a reasonable target weight, although she may find that she looks great and is smaller at a higher weight than that. See #4 below.

1. The closer you get to your goal, the slower the loss will be. And that is good, because it gives you time to really learn and get used to the LC way of eating. The more that you realize LC is a way of eating for the rest of your life, the LESS likely you are to ever allow yourself to regain.

2. The less you have to lose in the beginning, the less you are likely to lose on Induction. A reasonable expectation is 10% of the excess pounds to target. (Start at 225, target is 150 - expect to lose 10% or the 75 pounds = 7.5 pounds. More than that and you are certainly not a turtle.)

3. You are likely to sit still after Induction, ESPECIALLY if you have lost the 10% or more. The body has changed its chemistry from "carb burning & fat storage" to "burning stored fat" for fuel. It has lost water from cells and intestines and needs time to adjust its electrolyte balance and literally 'catch its breath.' Your fat cells may be grabbing and holding onto water because they don't like to lose bulk. Be patient, go on to the next level and just wait.

4. Be prepared to adjust your goal weight. Write down your measurements as you begin (or as soon as you read this). Keep a tight piece of clothing so you can feel the change in size. These are MUCH better ideas than just weighing. You may find that you are smaller (but weigh more) on the way down, because of losing fluffy fat and gaining sleek muscle which is heavier for its size. And muscle looks GREAT! Muscle gained takes up less room than the fat did. (I know I am 2 sizes smaller at my Nov. weight than I was on the way up - gaining 'fluffy' fat).

5. A stall or plateau is not "a week when you don't lose a pound". That is a period of adjustment. It is 4 -6 weeks when you lose neither pounds NOR inches. That's why the measurements are so important. Believe the clothes that are getting looser, not the scale that isn't all that accurate.

If you KNOW about the "laws" above, you will have more patience with your body. And be willing to wait until it is ready to let go of more weight.

Hope this helps anyone who fears they are a turtle.