Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/136/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default mock potatoe soup

I grew up with my mother cooking potatoe soup at least once every 2 weeks in the winter. When me and DH started LC that was one recipe we missed. So one day on this sight I read somewhere that turnips somewhat had the consistency of a potatoe. (never had a turnip before) So I tried it and everyone was amazed, including my VERY picky children.

Mock potatoe soup

1 lb bacon
1 onion
3 stalks celery
peeled turnips (not sure how much I just filled the pot full)
LC milk

cut up peeled turnips into cubes and boil them in a soup pot until firm, drain. Cut up bacon into tiny strips and cook until crisp, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Remove 3/4 of the grease from the bacon and cook the onions and celery in the bacon grease (in the same pan used for the bacon) until soft. Return the turnips to their cooking pot and add onions, celery and just enough milk to cover it all. Using a potatoe masher, mash the turnips until atleast half are mashed well, salt and pepper and add bacon last (so it will stay crispy).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 18:25
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

This looks good!

I read somewhere that the "turnipy" taste can be reduced by soaking it first in cream for a while. That was in reference to making turnip "fries," but in this case perhaps the flavour of the bacon etc overcomes any turnipy taste.
Just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 19:51
Registered Member

BF:

I've never had turnips before this, so I'm not sure what the turnipy taste is. I found that it was a little sweeter than a regular potatoe soup.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 00:48

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Thanks for your recipe!

I have made basicly the same thing (with the addition of a few other veggies), and it it was great. Though I have found that I personally prefer the taste of rutabaga instead of turnips when i make this. They are closely related, but rutabagas have higher vitamin content usually, and have a bit better taste imho.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 01:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 315/291/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Just a quick question...

I thought that the turnip and rutabaga were root veggies...don't they have alot of starch like the potato? Does anyone know what the carb content is for these? how much is alowed? I love potato soup, so I would love to try this recipe. Thanks!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 01:47
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastapro
I thought that the turnip and rutabaga were root veggies...don't they have alot of starch like the potato? Does anyone know what the carb content is for these? how much is alowed? I love potato soup, so I would love to try this recipe. Thanks!!

According to "our" carb counter (under Tools on the top green bar), 1 cup cubed raw turnips has 8.10g carbs, 2.34 of which are fibre, and 1 cup cubed raw rutabagas has 11.38g carbs, 3.5 of which are fibre.

Not bad at all, especially if you'd like a change.

Turnips are on the list of allowed vegies for Atkins Induction. Not sure about South Beach. I guess it just depends how many carbs you can have at present.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 01:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
I read somewhere that the "turnipy" taste can be reduced by soaking it first in cream for a while.
And more cheaply, using salted water can do the same thing.

I love these kind of soups. What I do is use half cauliflower and half turnip, then throw some grated, sharp cheddar in the bowl.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 01:59
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
And more cheaply, using salted water can do the same thing.
Karen

Kewl! Now why didn't I think of that!

Roz
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 17:30

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

I had never eaten turnips until I started this WOL. Love 'em. I'm definitely going to try this soup tmr. Only have two turnips left tho' so may add a bag of frozen cauliflower to stretch it.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

What else can you you make with turnips?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 04:34

BF:

I like to sub turnips for the potatoes in quite a few recipes such as soups, stews and chowders, shred them for 'hash browns', make 'au gratin' type casseroles with them and cauliflower,and last but not least, mash them. (I usually have to add them along with my 'mock mashed potatoes' made with cauliflower as 1 bag of frozen cauliflower doesn't stretch very far between my husband and I) They are pretty versatile. I cook them in salt water or chix broth and I don't notice the odd taste that others are talking about.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-04, 08:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks! My mothers family is orignally from Idaho, so almost all the recipes I've grown up learning to cook contain potatoes. So most of the dishes I know I haven't been able to cook. I guess I need to go buy some turnips and try some of my old recipes.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-04, 11:48

BF:

Yes, that's what I've done. Revamped recipes and substituted turnips, cauliflower or rutabaga in them. Everything's turned out pretty tasty.