Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 01:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default New England Clam Chowder (9 net carbs/cup)

I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, this turned out so good! We went out to eat today and my fiance got clam chowder, it smelled so good I was hankering for it for the rest of the day. I love the rich texture and the little soft bits of potato in regular chowder so that is what I was going for here.

I might try a different brand of clams because it didn't have a very pronounced "clam" taste. Or maybe add another can of clams?

1/2 head of cauliflower
8 oz. bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 oz. cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
2 6.5oz cans chopped clams
to taste:
dill weed
red pepper flakes
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Cut cauliflower into pieces, reserve the central stem and dice into ~1/2" cubes and set aside. Boil the rest of the cauliflower for approx. 20 minutes until very soft. Drain.

In a large pot, cook bacon till crispy, remove bacon and add onion and celery to bacon drippings. Cook till translucent.

Add diced cauliflower cubes to water and boil until soft ~8 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Blend cauliflower (not the cubes), drippings, onions, celery and cream cheese in blender till smooth. Return to pot and put on low heat. Stir in cream. Stir in enough clam juice to desired consistency. Add cubed cauliflower. Add clams and crushed bacon. Add spices to taste. Serve.

Makes 5 - 1 cup servings.
According to MyPLAN, 1 cup has:
12.2g carbs
29.5g protein
38.5g fat
3.0g fiber
511 calories
Sponsored Links