Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: xxxxx
Stats: 199/199/199 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Low Carb Doughnuts

Low Carb Doughnuts !!!
"come and get 'em while their hot!"

http://inside.championwindow.com/parts/LC/LC9.jpg

Ingredients: 3 Cups Low-Carb Baking Mix 3 Tbsp Canola Oil 3 Eggs 1 1/4 Cup Water 4 1/2 tsp Baking Powder 7 packets of your favorite low carb sweetener 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg 1/2 tsp Cinnamon * Canola Oil (for frying)

Heat canola oil in frying pan 2 inches deep to 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (Low Carb Baking Mix, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and sweetener). Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the eggs, water and vanilla. Mix with a fork or whisk until blended, aproximately one minute.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface for donut cutting. Use the Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix as your flour. Pat dough to about 1 inch thickness, cut donut shapes using donut cutter. Donuts will be very delicate. Gently remove excess dough from the center of donut and around the edges. Using a flat metal spatula, place each donut into hot oil. Fry each side for one minute. Be careful not to let the oil get too hot, as the donuts will become over brown and the centers will not be done. Make a wash with 1/4 cup water and 2 additional packets of sweetener. Brush each donut when cool.

Makes 12 doughnuts
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR EACH DOUGHNUT:
calories 140, calories 70, total fat 7g, saturated fat 1g, cholesterol 35mg, sodium 210mg, total carbohydrate 9g, dietary fiber 4g, sugars 0g, protein 11g.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Aug-29-04 at 10:57. Reason: Photos are too large for 800 x 600 screens - please limit to 400 x 400
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 16:53
Visit my Journal!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/330/280 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH!
Progress: 317%

is that the nutritional info for 1 or the whole batch??
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 17:26
Registered Member

Stats: 136/120/118 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 89%

These look super.
I noticed all of your other recipes you sent in.
I have them all printed out and hope to find time
to try them.
Thanks a bunch,
Susie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 09:22

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Those are per serving, but I am not sure what the servings are. When I put it in Mastercook, I used 12 servings.

Brobin
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 20:13

Stats: 255/222/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

If I use carb free bake mix - will that lessen the carbs? By how much?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 08:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Those look great. All the other recipies I found rely on soy powder and the donuts comeout dry and nasty
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb,low-mod. protein
Stats: 116/116/114 Female 62 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Here's a great recipe for a glaze for those Donuts (and a frosting) that I just tested and developed from some high-carb recipes....I just used the glaze on top of the buttercream frosting on a cake (superb!)...(and that's a 0-carb frosting--I just use softened butter (a full pound for a large double-layer cake), a powdered sugar alcohol (or mixture of same, or your other favorite powdered sweetener/substitute if you don't mind adding carbs) until the sweetness is right, and maybe a touch of vanilla (or cocoa if you want to put in a few carbs). Just beat until smooth and then frost your cake or muffin with a knife (and refrigerate for a short while to set). It's best to use an organic or European-style UNSALTED butter, in case that's not obvious! In any case, that's for the frosting, but I thought the glaze that I used on top of the frosting (on my layer cake) would work well on the donuts, so back to the glaze:

Proportionately, use 4 oz of heavy cream for every 4.5 oz of low-carb chocolate chips (you can mince a low-carb chocolate bar if you don't have chips). This is enough to glaze a cake (the top with some running down the sides). Heat the cream until boiling. In a heat-safe bowl, place the chocolate chips (or minced chocolate) and then pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Use to glaze the donuts (it's preferable to refrigerate for a half hour or so after glazing to let it set). Yum!

By the way, has anybody heard of somebody manufacturing low-carb sprinkles (aka "Jimmies") yet? There's a market for them.......

Last edited by lscoop : Wed, Sep-01-04 at 11:43.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 16:24

Plan: Moderate Carb Paleo
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%/30%/25%
Progress: 63%

Woooooot lol i can't believe my eyes, it's a miracle