Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/197/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Chlorestral?

Im trying to get my Mom to do this way of life. She is staying with us and she says she can not eat the way we do because of the high chlorestral. Her doctor is trying to get her to get her chlorestral down, she is on meds. for high chlorestral. Anyone know if this way of life will be harmful for her?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 20:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Susan, I suggest you get a copy of Protein Power and after you read it get you mother to. The Eades go into great detail explaining how LCing helps lower bad cholesterol and raise the good kind and bring down blood pressure. Photocopying the pertinent chapter for her doctor would be a good idea too (I gave my doctor a copy). On their website the Eades address this topic (but not in the detail they do in the book).

My cholesterol didnt change much, it was pretty normal to begin with. However my triglycerides went down even further than they had been and my blood pressure has dropped from 143/96 to 132/79.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 00:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb hi Susan

You might be interested to read this post from a man who had a heart attack and emergency bypass surgery at a young age. In spite of religiously following a lowFAT diet, and taking the statin drugs, his cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure continued to rise, and he gained weight in spite of the diet. So, he decided to do Atkins, and he did it strictly, no cheating .. and he ate lots and lots of FAT! In 4 months, he lost 30 lbs, cholesterol down over 30% and off all drugs

You can read his posts here. He explains very well how lowcarbing will help, and why eating low FAT is fallacy. He also happens to be my brother

I think your Mom will find it very reassuring.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 07:50

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Thanks Doreen for pointing us to that post!

Lot's of good information there.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 11:07
Registered Member

BF:
Smile You're Brother

Thanks Doreen
Sorry it took me so long to answer you back with the Holidays I have been soooo busy.
You're brother had some really good stuff there I will pass it on to my Mom. I hope it helps her to decide. She wants to talk to her doctor first and I'm afarid that he will tell her that it is unsafe.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 11:11
Registered Member

BF:
Wink P.S.

Your New picture looks great. I wish I could put a picture of me on there but I dont have a scanner. You are looking good keep up the good work
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 11:35

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I had high cholesterol, it didn't go down on this WOL so I am now taking meds for it (pravastatin). I still think low carb is healthy because it has allowed me to reduce my weight and become healthier in general. I may try going off the meds for a while to see if it has come down more, probably in the spring when I have been back on track after the holidays for a while.

It is common medical belief now that dietary cholesterol really doesn't have that much effect on blood cholesterol. It's hard to convince a lot of people though.