Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 17:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi-Lo cereal

Hi guys,

Just giving you a consumer report on this breakfast cereal which is now appearing in our supermarkets. It's made in the US, which means it is more expensive than other cereals, but I think it's good to see a cereal right on the supermarket shelf that we can have.

It has 12g protein (per 40g serve), 5g carbs and 6g fibre. (Remember fibre has already been subtracted under our labelling laws.) The ingredients are soy grits, wheat gluten, oats, soy protein concentrate, corn starch, corn bran, rice flour, canola oil, flavour, sugar, salt, colour (150a) and Vitamin E.
I find it a little amusing to see there "ALL NATURAL!" statement, but that could be just me.

But the bottom line is that I quite enjoyed it. No strong soy taste, and it made a pleasant change. I won't be eating it every day, but I think it will make a quick and convenient brekkie now and then.

Roz

I quite like it. I had it with homemade yoghurt and some strawberries
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 00:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi!
I live in Bowen Mackay, Northern QLD and can't find ANYWHERE that sells low-carb cereals, any ideas? It's quite depressing when I see all these great low-carb products but can never buy them where I live!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 18:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/154/132 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Jess

I live out the back of whoop whoop so what I did the other day is put in an order online. Works a treat and a couple of the online shops have free shipping if spend over a certain amount.

I used www.passthetoast.com but had a couple of little problems with my order so next time I will probably try going straight to empowerfoods.com.au Their fibrex cereal is really nice, I'm going to have a go at making it myself though as its quite expensive.

Bec
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 18:33

Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

The only item I would advise you avoiding from Empower foods is their wraps. I got them and almost pucked. Really strong chemically smell and they fall apart as soon as you try to fold them anyway. Then I couldn't get that nasty smell off my hands for the rest of the evening. Got to wonder what in earth is in them that makes them like that.
Jessmess, try having a look in your local health shop and Coles/Woolies. Both supermarkets carry a small range of Atkins and other low carb products. They are usually displayed in the vitamin/health food section in Coles.
Your local health shop may well be willing to order in some products for you - my sister lives in Esk and has still been able to order in some stuff.
I have seen the cereal Rose mentions both here in Townsville and in Brisbane. It's normally in the cereal aisle unlike the other low carb products.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 22:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Hi guys,

Just giving you a consumer report on this breakfast cereal which is now appearing in our supermarkets. It's made in the US, which means it is more expensive than other cereals, but I think it's good to see a cereal right on the supermarket shelf that we can have.

It has 12g protein (per 40g serve), 5g carbs and 6g fibre. (Remember fibre has already been subtracted under our labelling laws.) The ingredients are soy grits, wheat gluten, oats, soy protein concentrate, corn starch, corn bran, rice flour, canola oil, flavour, sugar, salt, colour (150a) and Vitamin E.
I find it a little amusing to see there "ALL NATURAL!" statement, but that could be just me.

But the bottom line is that I quite enjoyed it. No strong soy taste, and it made a pleasant change. I won't be eating it every day, but I think it will make a quick and convenient brekkie now and then.

Roz
Hi Roz,

A couple of points. The US sites promoting this junk (oops!) say that a serving is 30g or 1/2 a cup. (not 40g)

Even suggesting you eat 1/2 a cup of anything, and call that breakfast! - takes me back to my starvation low fat days! I'd say I would be hungry again about 9.30 .... assuming I ate breakfast at 9.00!

Its full of soy, corn starch, rice flour and canola - yes I am still looking for something healthy - oh yes they throw in some no doubt cheap artificial vitamins ... because all that processing wouldn't have left much in the 'food' component!

IMHO they can ship this right back again along with the equally overpriced and 'healthy' Atkins bars ...

... but maybe that is just me!

On a similar subject, I was amused to see Weetbix is now "97% whole grain" - unless things have changed quite a bit since I used to eat this healthy stuff (no I don't recall eating a half cup serving!), I don't remember it looking like a bird seed bar. Perhaps they should run a competition to see if anyone can find one grain .....

Cheers,

Malcolm

Last edited by mcsblues : Sat, Aug-20-05 at 22:28.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 05:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Icmum, i'm going to check empowerfoods out.The only low-carb cereal i can find where i am is is carboptions (which still has a whopping 17.5g per 40g serving!) Usu001, i never thought about health foods shops (duh!) so i'll check those out too. I just found those American hot cereals etc look really yum! Thanks for the advice!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 07:30

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Seriously though cereal really sux!

I'm glad I've given that up!

Bacon and eggs for me!