Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 07:52
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Apple Tart

Apple Tart

Very similar to Tarte Tatin, if you're familiar with that famous French dessert. I'm not doing desert right now and only tasted , but hubby sure enjoyed this and said I could do it again any old time! I gave it a thumbs up. Hubby gives it TWO!

Though this may bring to mind the well-known French apple Tarte Tatin, this has a much thinner cake layer than is typical of that dessert. This is my attempt to lower the carbs and calories on this famous dessert. My husband really liked this low-carb version served warm with a bit of whipped cream on top. I’m pleased and would like to share my results with you. This recipe is not suitable until the higher carb fruit rung of the Atkins OWL ladder, in Pre-Maintenance or Maintenance. This dessert would be acceptable for a Paleo-Primal liefstyle provided you substituted REAL honey for the imitation honey and subbed in REAL maple syrup for the Cary’s sugar-free maple syrup called for below.

INGREDIENTS:

For Apple filling:

4 T. total unsalted butter or ghee
11 oz. apple, peeled and sliced thin (I used 1 large JonaGold)
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
2 T. sugar-free maple syrup (I used Cary’s)
¼ tsp. grated lemon zest

For Cake Layer:

½ c. almond butter
2 T. coconut milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 T. imitation honey (Mine is Birgit's recipe, but made with erythritol)
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ c. almond flour
1 T. coconut flour

DIRECTIONS: Grease bottom and sides of a non-stick tarte pan with 1 T. of the butter and set aside. Melt remaining 3 T. of the butter in a non-stick skillet. Add cinnamon, nutmeg to the skillet and stir. Add sliced apples and saute them for 3-4 minutes until apples begin to soften. Turn off heat. Using a fork or small tongs, remove apples and layer them in the bottom of the tart pan. You should have enough apple slices for a single layer of apples in a standard tart pan. with the help of a spatula or heat-proof rubber spatula, scrape out and drizzle any buttery juices left in the skillet over the apples. You don’t want to wast any of that rich flavor. Grate lemon zest over the apples and finally drizzle the maple syrup over the apples.

Now to make the cake. Preheat oven to 350º. In a medium bowl, measure out the almond butter. Add the coconut milk, imitation honey and stir with a rubber spatula until fairly smooth. Add the vanilla and beaten eggs. Beat a minute or two to achieve a smooth liquid batter. Measure the almond flour on top, then the coconut flour and finally the baking powder. Beat with the spatula until smooth. Evenly pour the cake batter over the apples, gently coaxing it out to the edges of the pan. Pop into 350º preheated oven for about 20 minutes. This does not rise very much and it will be completely dry to the touch int he center when done. Toothpick test will come out clean at the center. Remove tart from the oven and cool for awhile. While still a little warm, invert your serving plate over the tart pan or pie plate and using two hands holding tightly, flip tart pan and serving plate over and the tart should fall neatly onto the serving plate. Gently re-place any apples that may have stuck to the pan. Cut into 8 slices and serve with sweetened whipped cream if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 servings each contains: (does not including any cream topping)

235 calories
19.5 g fat
11.6 g carbs, 2.76 g fiber, 8.94 g NET CARBS
5.1 g protein
125 mg sodium
185 mg potassium
19% RDA copper, 15% magnesium, 23.3% manganese, 20.4% phosphorous, 15.6% riboflavin
Sponsored Links