Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 06:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181/174/160 Male 186 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Carbs in broccoli

Hi

I'm looking for some clarity on the carb content of broccoli.

The label (from Tesco) indicates 1.8g carbs per 100g but online resources conflict with this, with values between 1g and 4g quoted.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...products/2356/2 says 4g after removing fiber - this is the same value given by Wikipedia and the US National Nutrient Database.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.u...eg/Broccoli.htm says 2.1g with fiber already removed.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.u.../vegetables.htm says 1.1g with fiber already removed.

I enjoy broccoli and have been eating it to fill the 20g daily limit assuming 100g cooked contains 2g carbs, but I'm worried that if it really contains 4g, I'm going way over the limit.

Can anyone clarify?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 07:18

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I usually go by the label as UK ones tend to be more specific to the actual food than the USDA and all the websites which use it as a source for their numbers.
However as the USDA numbers are so different (it lists 100g raw as having 6.64 - 2.6 fiber = 4.04 net carbs) I would check other UK supermarket labels to see if they generally line up with your label or the USDA info.

www.carbgenie.com is useful for this.

Just a thought - are the entries you are finding for the florets (flowerets or flowers in USA)? The info on carbgenie is for florets, not the stalks as well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 07:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181/174/160 Male 186 cm
BF:
Progress:

Good point..

I usually buy a stalk of broccoli weighing around 340g and eat only the florets - both Asda and Tesco labels indicate 1.8g carbs which I assume includes the stalk.

Carbgenie lists Asda and Tesco frozen broccoli (florets only) as having 2.1g and 1.8g respectively.

USDA lists both broccoli flower clusters and the stalk as having 5.24g but the fiber entry is missing. It also lists broccoli spears separately as having 5.35g carbs with 3g fiber, giving 2.35g net carbs.

I suppose I will stick with the assumption of 2g net carbs per 100g, but it still seems strange that such a basic staple food doesn't have a definitive amount.