Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 15:27

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 222/184/144 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Widget's Whoopie Pies

This recipe uses a whoopie pie pan which makes the whoopie pies 3" in diameter. The thing that makes the cakes moist is the glycerine. According to my calculations (which could be off), one whoopie pie contains 5.4 carbs.

Whoopie Pies (makes 12)

3/4 cup almond flour (18 carbs)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pork rind flour (0 carbs)
8 pkts. Splenda (or equivilent of another sweetener) (8 carbs)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (0 carbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt (0 carbs)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (The brand I use = 0 carbs)
2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine (10 carbs, although glycerine carbs supposedly don't impact blood sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla (.5 carbs)
3 eggs (3 carbs)
4 tablespoons butter, melted (0 carbs)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, oil the wells of a whoopie pan. In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. In a seperate small bowl, with a mixer, beat the syrup, glycerine, vanilla and eggs. Stir the butter into the dry ingredients, then beat all ingredients together just until smooth.

Spoon into the wells. Bake 7 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Let cool, slice like a hamburger bun, then spread on the filling. Keep refrigerated.

FILLING

8 oz. Cream cheese, room temp. (8 carbs)
1 stick butter, room temp. (0 carbs)
2 teaspoon vanilla (1 carb)
16 pkts. sweetener (or equivilent of any sweetener) (16 carbs)
6 tablespoons heavy cream (0 carbs)

In a small bowl, with an electric mixer, beat all but the heavy cream. Add the cream and beat until smooth.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 17:05

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

Does the pork rind flour change the taste ?Has it got to be pork rind flour?Just saying......
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 22:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejean
Does the pork rind flour change the taste ?Has it got to be pork rind flour?Just saying......

I am able to eat barbeque pork rinds if I have a jug of water handy, but I hate the plain ones and hate the smell of them. In spite of that, I have been using pork rind flour to make mini cakes, whoopie pies, donuts and hamburger buns since being diagnosed with Diabetes 8 months ago. I also use them as a substitute for bread or crackers in meatloaf, meatballs and stuffed pepper recipes and I use them as a thickener when I make chili or stewed tomatoes.

You can't taste or smell the pork rinds at all, I promise. They are delicious. No one who tasted it could possibly guess it contained rinds. You could try using a different type of flour but that would add quite a few carbs to the recipe. For example, substituting coconut flour would add 30 carbs. I don't know if it would work because I've never tried it.

It's too bad so many people seem to have an adversion to cooking and baking with pork rinds because they are carb-free. The desserts I make with pork rinds in them are the only reason my diabetic husband and I have been able to stick with a low carb diet for the past 8 months.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 19:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default glycerine? pork rind flour?

Is the glycerine the same that Wilton sells for fondant? Where can I get that? Pork rind flour? where do you buy that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget

This recipe uses a whoopie pie pan which makes the whoopie pies 3" in diameter. The thing that makes the cakes moist is the glycerine. According to my calculations (which could be off), one whoopie pie contains 5.4 carbs.

Whoopie Pies (makes 12)

3/4 cup almond flour (18 carbs)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pork rind flour (0 carbs)
8 pkts. Splenda (or equivilent of another sweetener) (8 carbs)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (0 carbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt (0 carbs)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (The brand I use = 0 carbs)
2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine (10 carbs, although glycerine carbs supposedly don't impact blood sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla (.5 carbs)
3 eggs (3 carbs)
4 tablespoons butter, melted (0 carbs)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, oil the wells of a whoopie pan. In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. In a seperate small bowl, with a mixer, beat the syrup, glycerine, vanilla and eggs. Stir the butter into the dry ingredients, then beat all ingredients together just until smooth.

Spoon into the wells. Bake 7 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Let cool, slice like a hamburger bun, then spread on the filling. Keep refrigerated.

FILLING

8 oz. Cream cheese, room temp. (8 carbs)
1 stick butter, room temp. (0 carbs)
2 teaspoon vanilla (1 carb)
16 pkts. sweetener (or equivilent of any sweetener) (16 carbs)
6 tablespoons heavy cream (0 carbs)

In a small bowl, with an electric mixer, beat all but the heavy cream. Add the cream and beat until smooth.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 20:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeit
Is the glycerine the same that Wilton sells for fondant? Where can I get that? Pork rind flour? where do you buy that?

You can use any edible glycerine. Wilton's would be fine. I buy mine at the Netrition website. Once at the site, I did a search for vegetable glycerine.

You will have to make your own pork rind flour. First I run pork rinds through a food processor or blender, then measure it for the recipe, then run it through a coffee grinder. If you don't have a coffee grinder, just grind it as fine as you can with a processor or blender.

I see that when I posted the recipe, I made a mistake. For the frosting it is supposed to be 1 teaspoon vanilla, not 2 teaspoons.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 09:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget
...I see that when I posted the recipe, I made a mistake. For the frosting it is supposed to be 1 teaspoon vanilla, not 2 teaspoons.

That's not a mistake. I always double the vanilla extract, lol!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-12, 09:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
That's not a mistake. I always double the vanilla extract, lol!!

When I first made whoopies, I used 2 tsp. of vanilla and it made the filling a little on the bitter side. I started putting in 1 tsp. and it was much better. I just didn't take the time to change it on my printed recipe, that's the reason for the typo.