Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-16-11, 17:57
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Parsnip Latkes

This little experiment tonight came out fantastic. I will DEFINITELY be doing these again! Great potato substitute with our grilled steak tonight. I've only had parsnips boiled/pureed and roasted/candied before and this was VERY different from those methods of cooking. This recipe can be seen here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/parsnip-latkes/

I was smitten with this idea when I pulled the bag of parsnips out of the refrigerator tonight and wondered what I would do with them. At first I was going to roast or candy them with bacon on top, but cogitated a moment or two and wondered if you could grate them and do something completely different. Man, were these ever good! Tasted a lot like a potato latke, but much to my surprise, they were much sweeter! In fact, minus the green onion, I see some dessert or breakfast potential for this batter. I’ve only had parsnips roasted before, and they are much “stronger” and sort of stringy done that way. These were deliciously delicate, not strong at all and not the least bit stringy (once I got them grated)! They are indeed a bit difficult to grate, due to their hard, stringy nature, but I finally got two fully grated. If you want to trim carabs a bit, you could reduce the bake mix in these to 1 T. of each kind. Adjust nutritional info if you do so.

INGREDIENTS:

6 oz. parsnips, peeled and grated (this turned out to be two)
2 T. Carbquick bake mix
2 T. Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...stomize-to.html
1/3 c. green onion, finely chopped
Dash salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 tsp. bacon grease total for frying

DIRECTIONS: Heat 1 tsp. bacon grease in a no-stick skillet. Spread grated parsnips over surface and saute just a couple minutes until they begin to brown. I did this because I wasn't sure the parcnip would get tender during final latke frying. When softened and lightly browned, remove and place in bowl. Add Carbquick and Eloff Low-Carb bake mix and stir to blend well. Add green onion, salt, pepper and beaten egg and mix batter well. Heat remaining bacon grease in skillet over medium-high heat. Using a large spoon and your hand, form 5 small patties about 2″ in diameter and place on hot skillet and fry to golden brown. Serve at once.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 latkes each contains:

83 calories
4.05 g fat
8.46 g carbs, 3.4 g fiber, 5.32 NET CARBS
3.64 g protein
70 mg sodium

Last edited by Buttoni : Tue, May-17-11 at 13:02.
Sponsored Links