Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:11

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Potassium Sodium questions

I have been feeling really, really tired and weak lately. I just had blood tests done at my regular yearly exam, and the Dr. says everything is normal except for an unusually low level of sodium. He just left a message on my machine and is not available to me to answer questions (I know, I need a new Dr.)

Does anyone know if the low sodium could be related to low potassium? I love salty foods and use salt liberally, but I find that my maintenance diet is somewhat diuretic. I love not retaining water, but am I peeing out something I need? I have eliminated all processed/packaged foods, which are super high in sodium, but, as I say, I don't shy away from adding salt to anything I want to. The Dr.'s phone message only said that it was low and that I didn't need to worry about avoiding salt. I eat lots and lots of green veggies, nuts, and fish.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

I don't know about low carbers but I know that all CRONies (people who restrict calories) have low but 'normal range' sodium and normal potassium.

Do you know what level it was at?

Are you taking a multivitamin or eating enough?

Last edited by Whoa182 : Thu, Jun-15-06 at 12:32.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:29

BF:
Default CRONies?

I'm not familiar with the term. I don't think I eat a super low cal diet (I average about 1350 cals per day) I'm only 5 feet tall and I have a desk job.

What does CRONie mean?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

just a term for someone who restricts calories for life extension and health purpose...

Are you taking a good multivitamin / mineral supplement?

Once you stop eating processed foods its easy to forget about salt... I mean somedays I might find that I havent even gotten 500mg ! which is the minimum you need. So I just remember to add a bit of salt to everything now...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:45

BF:
Default supplement

I think I take an ok supplement. It is just the "carbsmart" one-a-day from the grocery store. I eat a wide variety of foods, and I keep my effective carbs above 60, so I figured the carbsmart would fill in any little gaps from the pasta, bread, etc., that I don't eat. I do eat oatmeal and/or wild rice every day and lots of green veggies.

Thanks for your responses. Maybe, since I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, I just need to increase the overall calories a little to get my energy back. I just wondered if the "lower than normal" sodium level was a tip off to something specific.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Nelson,

Give your doctor a call back and find out what your sodium and potassium levels are.

Adding some calories back into your eating is an easy thing to do and may provide the energy that you need to feel better.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 14:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Ketogenic diets and physical performance
Stephen D Phinney

daily intakes for sodium at 3–5 g/d and total potassium at 2–3 g/d

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Lately, I've been taking 1tsp each of UNrefined salt, potassium & ascorbic acid (vit.C - which helps cut the saltiness) and adding this to my drinking water jug & drinking this all day long. I have noticed a difference & plan to continue.

Potassium - 1tsp = 2440mg = 68%RDa
Salt ----- 1tsp = 1560mg = 68%RDa

When you restrict carbohydrates, you quickly deplete glycogen stores. Glycogen holds 3x it's weight in water, so depleting them is like wringing out a sponge. This causes dehydration & an electrolyte imbalance because you lose a lot of salts with the water. It's very important for low carbers to increase their salt & potassium intake. Salt & potassium have a yin/yang relationship.

Salt and water work together to do important work in your body, including stimulating your metabolism, helping you detoxify, support your adrenals and making sure your nerves, hormones and immune system function properly.

I recommend dissolving half teaspoon each of UNrefined salt, potassium & ascorbic acid (vit.C) in 6-8 oz of water & drink every morning to replenish electrolytes. This can be done up to 3x a day if necessary. I buy a salt substitute (NuSalt, NoSalt, Morton's Salt substitute, etc) for a cheap form of potassium. This should alleviate fatigue, headaches, dizziness or constipation caused by dehydration. Make sure you drink lots of water.