Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-01, 21:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by need2burn
What if we drink coffee with 2 teaspoon sugar or ate half a pancake ...does it really effect or stalled the ketosis like a period of time even if we stickin to 20 carbs a day?
Anne, that's a tough question. I won't confuse the issue with a big long discourse on glycemic values of foods. Simply, for the purpose of the Atkins program, maintaining Induction level of 20 carbs a day will let you burn fat, and make ketones for energy. How you spend your carb "budget" is up to you. If you choose 20 carbs worth of sugar (that's only 20 gm, or 5 tsp), or 20 carbs of pancake, well truthfully, that's up to you.

But 20 carbs could also be spent on a cup of good coffee with heavy cream in it, a big leafy salad, some good cheese, a cupful of steamed vegetables with butter and a squeeze of fresh lemon, and a small handful of macadamias or almonds.

The problem when we continue to put the sugar and refined starches into our bodies (and whole grain flour and cereal is refined .. ) we just perpetuate the taste for those things, and increase the likelihood of cravings. Eating carbs in the form of vegetables or nuts has lots of fiber with it, so it doesn't blast into the system and cause a big swing in blood sugar and insulin. Plus there's bigger volume of food, so more satiety ... you feel fuller.

The thing is, eating the sugar and the pancakes, and white rice and noodles ... those things are what made us fat. Also, there is damage we can't see, inside our bodies - lining our arteries and the muscle and fat cells. During Induction, and the Ongoing Weight Loss stages of the Atkins program you are advised to not eat these foods, so that your body can rid itself of the damage done by refined carbs ... lose fat, gain muscle and improve the blood chemistry. Constantly putting sugar and flour in there, even if it's just a little bit ... will hinder the remedial process.

I hope my explanation was helpful. I don't have Dr. Atkins book right at my fingertips either .. I loaned my copy a few months back, and doubt that I'll see it again...

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-01, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Own Combinations, just trying not to exceed 20g/day..Struggling tho
Stats: 174/160/125
BF:
Progress:

Doreen I dont know what to do without ya...thanks fa ya explaination..and yep..it helps alot and i can sleep better tonite...! I just hafta be certain at what i am doin. These Malaysians as ya said they add sugar to almost everythin..there was a coupla days ago when i ate at me friend's home and they added sugar to the `rendang' (its a dish- spiced beef...hotstuff! ) and ya know how i could freak.. Since i was off sugar like 20 days..I can taste how sweet that dish was..but i hafta finish what was on me plate. I reckoned i took at least 2 tsp sugar there I am gonna be more careful next time fa sure...I just dont wanna plateau anymore..its so dreadful.,, drives ya bonkers. BTW i lost another 1 lb I like loosin..but too fast isnt good isnt it?..but I wanna loose fast..ohhh so confusin..i am gonna sleep now...Thanks again Doreen..thanks fa being there fa me. huuggsss