Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 11:29

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 130/130/115 Male 64
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Howdy! Glad you are here!!

I'm super (!) thankful for this web site and for everything I've learned from all the users who post their progress, challenges, and successes.

5 days ago I "rebooted" my LCHF lifestyle. Last time, I lost focus and purpose... I drifted away into the "everything in moderation" myth and quickly became a carb slave again.

This time, I'm focusing on the "why" of eating well.

My primary "why" is that Jesus wants the best for us. The New Testament is filled with guidance to live joyfully, gratefully, and peacefully. He also explains the importance of being good stewards of the gifts He has bestowed on us.

My second "why" is that I love horses, and I want to ride for many more years. I have certain goals and objectives I'd like to experience in my "horse life". I have ideas for how I can use my "horse craziness" to be helpful to other people. All my life I've had a constant "hum" and desire in my heart and head to be helpful and useful to others. Helping other people is hard to do if one is lethargic, depressed, addicted (to sweets, in my case), and so self-obsessed with aches and pains that there's no energy left for anyone else.

Going forward, I probably won't write much about weight or details about carb intake, but I will write more about how LCHF is supporting the way I want to live - fully, with joy, hope, peace, and purpose.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 13:46
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome PDX1!

I'm thankful for this place, too. There is lots of good information and friendly people on this well moderated site. I wish you the best in reaching your goals. Joy, hope, peace, and purpose are certainly something worth striving for.

BTW: I was originally form the great PNW. My daughter lives just down I5 from you. The chill is on this winter. May you have an early spring .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 13:42

Plan: keto
Stats: 225/180/150 Female 69"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello

I'm new here but not quite new to LC but close. Been at it since Oct. 2016. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I am a little confused at all the different advise I keep getting. My blood pressure has been running high and I see where folks get off their meds but I've not been able to yet. Anyway someone told me to read a book from a Dr. on the subject because I said I couldn't up the sodium because of the b. pressure issues. Well I waste my money on ordering the book and it's telling me to eat fruits and grains and potatoes and I am like noooooo I cannot do that! I am so confused and wondering WHO to believe at this point. Just needing to learn WHO to listen to I guess. I have lost a few pounds but lots of inches. I was in a 22,24 and some 26's and now I am in a 16 pants. Excited to finally be able to get smaller clothes!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 17:05

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Gardnpondr - Welcome, You might want to start a separate thread to introduce yourself rather than piggybacking on PDX1's thread. More folks are likely to see you that way!

In answer to your question, there are a ton of different schools of thought out there about what is the best way for human beings to eat....and there are doctors and nutritionists and "experts" on all sides of the fence. Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself what works for you.

I'd say, if you've gone from size 22-26 slacks down to a size 16 since October 2016, you're doing the right thing for YOU and need to keep it up....whatever it is! And, from 225 down to 180 is a 45 pound loss!

That's more than just a "few pounds." 45 pounds represents a loss of 20% of your original weight. And, if 150 pounds is your goal weight, you've already lost 60% of your original excess weight! That is terrific. Doctors often tell people that losing just 5 to 10% of their excess weight will result in amazing health benefits so clearly, dropping 60% of it ought to have measurable benefits.

Is your blood pressure still running as high as it was when you were at 225 pounds? I would be surprised if it is. As you lose weight, high blood pressure usually starts to drop closer to normal. Keep monitoring it as you keep losing weight and shedding inches.

You don't need to add extra salt to your meals UNLESS you've been experiencing keto flu and, since you've been on your WOE since October and aren't complaining, I'm guessing you're feeling fine. If you're worried that your blood pressure is too high and that excess sodium may be causing it, try cutting back a little bit on salt. NOTICE I suggested cutting back A LITTLE BIT. You don't want to overdo it and suddenly have low blood pressure. Cut back a little bit and see if your blood pressure drops some. If so, cut back on salt a little bit more until you reach a good stable number. Then, talk to your doctor about slowly getting off the bp meds.

Congrats on your tremendous success thus far and don't worry too much about the fact that there is contradictory advice out there. Do what works for you. If something doesn't work, change to something else. But make changes slowly so that you can figure out, for yourself, what is working for you. That's my "expert" advice.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 14:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 130/130/115 Male 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks much for your reply! Right now it's about 20 degrees here, so we Portlanders are all freaking out. LOL... waiting for spring, yes indeed. Hope your daughter stays home safe. We are notoriously crazy drivers in the snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GvtpYkzq0
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 21:51

Plan: keto
Stats: 225/180/150 Female 69"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Hi Gardnpondr - Welcome, You might want to start a separate thread to introduce yourself rather than piggybacking on PDX1's thread. More folks are likely to see you that way!

In answer to your question, there are a ton of different schools of thought out there about what is the best way for human beings to eat....and there are doctors and nutritionists and "experts" on all sides of the fence. Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself what works for you.

I'd say, if you've gone from size 22-26 slacks down to a size 16 since October 2016, you're doing the right thing for YOU and need to keep it up....whatever it is! And, from 225 down to 180 is a 45 pound loss!

That's more than just a "few pounds." 45 pounds represents a loss of 20% of your original weight. And, if 150 pounds is your goal weight, you've already lost 60% of your original excess weight! That is terrific. Doctors often tell people that losing just 5 to 10% of their excess weight will result in amazing health benefits so clearly, dropping 60% of it ought to have measurable benefits.

Is your blood pressure still running as high as it was when you were at 225 pounds? I would be surprised if it is. As you lose weight, high blood pressure usually starts to drop closer to normal. Keep monitoring it as you keep losing weight and shedding inches.

You don't need to add extra salt to your meals UNLESS you've been experiencing keto flu and, since you've been on your WOE since October and aren't complaining, I'm guessing you're feeling fine. If you're worried that your blood pressure is too high and that excess sodium may be causing it, try cutting back a little bit on salt. NOTICE I suggested cutting back A LITTLE BIT. You don't want to overdo it and suddenly have low blood pressure. Cut back a little bit and see if your blood pressure drops some. If so, cut back on salt a little bit more until you reach a good stable number. Then, talk to your doctor about slowly getting off the bp meds.

Congrats on your tremendous success thus far and don't worry too much about the fact that there is contradictory advice out there. Do what works for you. If something doesn't work, change to something else. But make changes slowly so that you can figure out, for yourself, what is working for you. That's my "expert" advice.

Thank you! Yeah it's running about the same as it was before I lost. I only weighted 215 I think it was when I started this in Oct. My memory is horrible these days. Earlier in the year I had weighed more. Thank you for your advise! OK I thought this was the thread to post on. Sorry....