Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 08:45

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Should I try Protein Power (Atkins LCer)

I am down to my last 20 lbs - it has been a slow journey (3 lbs a month average at best). I am investigating Protein Power Plan and wonder if I would be better suited to follow it. I am working out now 3-4 times a week at CURVES (which I love by the way); I am now doing Atkins but have not lost a single pound or inch for over a month.

Per Protein Power I am suppose to estimate my Lean Body Mass X the protein (which for my activity level is .6). This gives me a daily protein of 65 grams! I am eating 25% more a day.

Am I to understand that you don't count NET CARBS just total carbs and ideally 30 a day? Or is it NET CARBS like Atkins counts to be 30?

Has anyone converted from Atkins to Protein Power with success? All comments welcome.

Last edited by yvonne326 : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 09:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 09:51
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Eades are the "inventors" of net carbs, so yes, you go by net carbs.

Protein Power isn't a whole lot different from Atkins except that they don't include induction. They are also more specific about the quality of carbs as per PPLP (ie. Hedonist, Dilettante, Purist). My personal preference is PP. If I could ever get my net carbs up that high, I will switch. I think they focus a little more strongly on "health" than Atkins does. I'm increasingly frustrated with his encouragement of fake foods. However, I noticed that even the Eades have started to advocate the fake foods as well in their new book.

Hey, go for it! At least you'll find out whether or not the plan works for you. Experimentation is great at your level since those last few pounds are most likely going to be tough.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 09:54.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 10:33

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

Well I will be happy to say that I gave up 90% of fake foods in 2003 and even cut back caffeine by 50%.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 20:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Yvonne! Now that you're working out, it would probably be a good idea to 'up' your protein levels. So it's probably a good time to give PP a try. Since you're already on Atkins OWL, you probably won't notice much difference in your menu, except more protein, like you said. A protein shake or some lean meat here and there, and voila.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 20:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Whatever you calculate to be your protein requirement for PP, remember that's the MINIMUM you must consume every day ... it's fine to have more than that.

Another difference is that PP has you divide your daily protein and carb allotment fairly evenly through the day, so you don't eat "no carbs" all day, then have all 30g for dinner. And it's really important to have at least the minimum amount of protein at breakfast.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 16:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I, too, am contemplating jumping over to Protein Power. I have been LCing for almost nine months now and am guilty of not exercising. I have been happy with my weight loss to date, but I know if I started working out (cardio & light weights) regularly, the last 4.5 lbs. will go quickly.

Being so close to goal, I took a look over at the Maintenance Forum. Boy, it’s AWFULLY quiet over there. It doesn’t seem like there is much support for people on maintenance or is it that once people reach goal they are no longer interested in the Low-Carber Forums? I also read something about the psychological letdown of reaching goal. One has spent months, even years, focusing on weight loss. “Ok, it’s happened, now what?” I guess my focus going forward will be to continue eating healthily and to get some exercise into my routine.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by paradise
Being so close to goal, I took a look over at the Maintenance Forum. Boy, it’s AWFULLY quiet over there. It doesn’t seem like there is much support for people on maintenance or is it that once people reach goal they are no longer interested in the Low-Carber Forums?

I'm not sure why there aren't many maintainers, paradise. I do see quite a few coming back to LC after losing and regaining though. Mainly b/c it was only a diet, not a WOL. It's an important piece. I hope to be here for awhile b/c I need this forum to help me maintain.

I've only got about 3 stubborn pounds to lose from Christmas. I was maintaining before that with bouts of binges that would cause me to gain then lose the same 10 pounds. It was a terrible cycle I've been focusing on breaking.

Based on my readings, I think maintaining is harder to do than losing (not that losing is easy ). The (simplified) reason is that the body (namely hormones) doesn't like to think that it's starving (=dieting) and it will make you hungry. So many will gain weight after losing for that simple reason. One of the reasons this happens is if weight loss happens too quickly.

I think your assessment is correct. Exercise and eating healthy should be your focus. The last few might take a bit to come off and you don't want to drive yourself crazy with it. Starting to embrace your WOL is a better option, as you've mentioned. Good going! You're definately on the right track.

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Apr-05-03 at 12:10.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:56

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think the main differences between Atkins and Protein Power are:

atkins - divide up carbs however you want
PP - divide up carbs evenly over the day

atkins - doesn't necessarily require that you get all of your protein in
PP - must have protein at every mea

atkins - doesn't ant you to have too much protein (says it converts to glucose)
PP - isn't so concerned with an upper level of protein (although all things in moderation)

and PP starts out at a slightly higher level of carbs.

Now, to me, it makes sense that if we're trying to avoid messing with our blood sugar and insulin, we'd want things to be spread out more evenly.

That being said, sometimes, I really don't want protein at a meal (sometimes, I just want some light veggies or something). So, every once in a while, I'll skip the protein, adding it in throughout the rest of the day to make up for it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default should I switch?

I too am thinking about a formal switch to Protein power. I just don't feel very healthy eating such large level of fat! I have been cutting it back to about 60% which seems to be much lower than Atkins people have been advising. I have always been a major compulsive binger, and whaen I first started Atkins, it seemed like found something I could eat and eat on and lose weight, however, I realized that cant work for me, and I need to cut calories! So, I am eating 1500-1600/day, and on average about 100 g of total fat(25% is sat.), and 100+ protein with about 20 net carbs. I dont like eating fats, especially bad fats.
I finally have gotten my binging under control (which is very exciting!) but I am very concrned about the fats in my diet due to a family history of heart disease!

So I guess my question is, is Protein power basically atkins with slightly higher carbs, less bad fat and more protein (split between meals)? That is all I have really noticed from my research! And if that is the case, and I am currently doing those things, am I actually already doing protein power?

Thanks for the advice!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 05:32

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Yvonne, I've been following your posts about which plan to try. I haven't lost a thing on atkins, am wondering if something between South Beach and PP would work? I lost 22 on WW but have gained back half of that trying to lc, was looking at my old WW journals on fitday and found I was eating about 1500Cal, my carbs were about 200-300-WAY too high, but the fat was down around 28%. Don't know if I lost fat or muscle but there was definitely less of me. Now I feel bloated again even though I'm doing lc. Think I need to cut down on the fats, that's why the indecision about SB or PP. I know you didn't like SB.
Whatever you choose, know that you have LOTS of company out here!!
Elaine
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 15:38

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Just a question what is South Beach Am conisdering switching to Protien Power as well.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 03:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Louloo, South Beach is a diet that is lower carb but not low carb . Go to Prevention.com, there is a whole section devoted to it (they ran it as an article a few months back) and there is a growing message forum.
Where's Yvonne???
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 425/266/200
BF:
Progress: 71%

All I can say is, Protein Power has been working very well for me...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default switcharoo?

yvonne326,
Have you decided whether to switch or not? I'm thinking of switching from Atkins, too (I just ordered a bunch of PP books on Amazon, so I can research the subject.) From what I can glean (admittadly, without the books) PP seems a lot like ATkins OWL, except for the emphasis on lean proteins and good fats, fewer restirictions on leafy greens and more fruit. It pretty much sounds like what I've been tryng to do on Atkins (but I keep getting sidetracked by bars and lunch meats)
I want to be eating food I'd be happy to serve my children (when I have some) and frankenfoods and processed foods don't fit the bill.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/176/120 Female 65"
BF:35%/25%/20%
Progress: 19%
Default Exploring Protein Power # 1

Well, after 2 months of Atkins - I've lost 10 lbs. I want to speed up this snails pace and was concidering Protein Power level # 1.

From what I have read so far.....

Protein Power # 1
- allows 30-40 total carbs per day
- allows fruit of 10 carb snack per day (with protein)
- protein of 90 grams per day

Dairy questions:
What about cheese? Atkins allows 3-4 oz per day. Is this allowed on Protein Power level # 1?

What about heavy whipping cream 2-3 tsp. per day? Is this allowed on Protein Power level 1?

Low carb products questions:
What about low carb bread (2.5 gr per slice), Atkins bake mix, Atkins pancake mix, etc. as part of the 30-40 carbs per day allotment?

I know that nuts are not allowed on Atkins induction. Are they allowed on Protein Power # 1?

Thanks for your information. I need some help here.