Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 14:51

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Cold turkey?

When you get a numbers obsessed doc, is thyroid a taper off med or a cold turkey med?

My recent endo appointment was in determinant. I liked the guy, and he very helpfully ordered a whole slew of tests even though he doesn't believe he's the right doc for me. And they have a fantastic patient portal where I could download and print all my tests.

If I'm being treated already with T3 (50mcg/day), I think these numbers look great, opinions?

TSH normal range .98 ref value .27-4.2
free T3 normal 3.52 ref value 2.0-4.4
free T4 low .43 ref value .93-1.7
reverse T3 low 7.9 ref value 9.2-24.1
since reverse T3 is biologically inactive, I can't see that low levels are an issue, since we already know I have low T4, therefore nothing is being improperly converted....

In any case, I have an appointment with someone I think may really be the right new doc, but I can't see her until a week after I run out of meds. If it's a taper off med, it will be easy to get the wrong guy to give me just a month or 2 to 'taper off' until I can see the new person.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 18:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No, you're lucky to have low T3. I make huge amounts of RT3 and it slows down my metabolism.

I've never heard you need to taper off thyroid meds. Are you talking about tapering off the T3 or T4? T3 leaves your system relatively quickly, but T4 has a half-life of 4 weeks. So in 4 weeks, you'll be 50% lower. 8 weeks should clear it all out. T3 is just a few days.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 19:39

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I don't take T4, just T3. I don't *want* to go off T3 unless it's the right health choice, which I don't think it is for my situation. If it were a taper off med, that would give me an easy argument as to why the doc should give me a small extension even though he doesn't like my numbers. Since that isn't the case, I'll have to try something else.