Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 10:40
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandra
Hi Mike,
I just use a bowl or plate and invert a plate on top to hold down the splatters. I also store leftovers in the fridge this way if they will only be in there a very short time if the leftovers will spend more time in the fridge I use mason jars or reuse glass jars from food.
Also, there's paper towels by Seventh Generation and a couple of other companies that are at least bleach and dye free.

My mum brought me up with this knowledge but I guess, because it would be inconvenient otherwise, I just ignored it for the most part. I have no idea how to store, keep, travel and heat foods without my trusty plastic containers! Taking bowls to work simply isn't reasonable - I'd have to carry everything in like a waiter with arms full!

How do you do it???

e
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 11:06
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
My mum brought me up with this knowledge but I guess, because it would be inconvenient otherwise, I just ignored it for the most part. I have no idea how to store, keep, travel and heat foods without my trusty plastic containers! Taking bowls to work simply isn't reasonable - I'd have to carry everything in like a waiter with arms full!

How do you do it???

e
LOL, I just got a very funny image of you carrying your food in like a waiter to work.

I mostly just use the wide mouth mason jars. They come in a huge variety of sizes and some have pretty flowers in the glass. Mason jars can be found at most dollar, big box and grocery stores and are generally on sale during harvest time in your area. They also freeze if you allow for water expansion and don't put the lid on until after it's frozen. I've only heated leftovers in the microwave, but since they are made to be boiled before canning, I think they could heat your soup, too.

If you want something kinda like what you're used to already, Pyrex and a couple of other companies have come out with glass storage with a plastic lid. These can be nuked, baked and frozen but cost more than the jars. The plastic lid doesn't touch your food and if you don't heat the lid in the microwave it's probably going to be the safest and the closest to what you're currently using. They come in the deep cobalt blue and also clear, amber and ruby colors...very pretty.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 11:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
You don't want to know what is in paper towels.

One thing is some paper manufacturers are using gluten.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...55?OpenDocument

Government panel will examine safety of plastic chemical
By Tina Hesman Saey
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

The safety of a chemical that's probably in your cell phone, eyeglass lenses, car, computer, baby bottles, microwaveable dishes — and hundreds of other popular products — will face public scrutiny today.

The chemical bisphenol A is used to make lightweight clear plastics and resins used as adhesives and coatings in everyday products.

Critics are concerned that the chemical could harm human health, particularly the development of fetuses and children, because it works like the female sex hormone estrogen. Other chemicals that mimic estrogen, notably the banned pesticide DDT, have been shown to interfere with hormone function and cause abnormalities in wildlife and laboratory animals.

The chemical industry contends that the weight of scientific evidence on bisphenol A doesn't support the claims of harm. But the chemical has been the subject of much controversy recently. Advertisement

The San Francisco City Council passed a measure to bar bisphenol A and some other components of plastics, from products for children. But the European Union recently increased the level of exposure it considers safe for human health.

Starting today, a panel of 15 scientists convened by the National Institutes of Health's Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction will hold three days of meetings in Alexandria, Va., to examine the safety of bisphenol A. The panel issued a draft report in December but will finalize the report and release its conclusions and recommendations this week. The panel has no regulatory authority, and the findings are not binding.

Frederick S. vom Saal of the University of Missouri-Columbia, one of the leading experts on low-level exposure to bisphenol A, intends to address the scientific panel during a public comment period today. Like everyone else wishing to comment on the draft report, he will get seven minutes to make his remarks. Scientists who study bisphenol A, such as vom Saal, were not invited to participate on the panel.

Bisphenol A was originally developed in the 1930s as an estrogen for birth control, said vom Saal. It was never used for that purpose because scientists quickly discovered that multiple molecules of bisphenol A could link together to form clear, hard plastics, vom Saal said. More than 6 billion pounds of bisphenol A plastics are made globally each year, vom Saal said.

The chemical is ubiquitous and almost unavoidable, vom Saal said. Most people carry the chemical around in their bodies at low levels — about 1 part per billion in blood, urine and tissues.
"That seems like a staggeringly small number until you realize that the natural hormone it's acting like works at levels 10,000 times lower than that," vom Saal said.

Dr. Ana M. Soto, a developmental and cancer biologist at Tufts University in Boston, found while working with breast cancer cells that some components of plastic can act like estrogen. Normally, the breast cancer cells grow only in the presence of estrogen, but she found that some cells were growing even when she didn't add the hormone. The only thing that had changed was composition of the plastic tubes in which she stored components of the media in which the cells were grown; the manufacturer had switched formulas to make the containers more shatter-resistant, Soto said.

She became interested in how bisphenol A might affect developing fetuses. In studies with mice, researchers have found that adult females exposed to bisphenol A in the womb have irregular estrus cycles and stop cycling earlier than unexposed females. The animals exposed to the chemical had changes in a part of the brain that controls ovulation and cycling, Soto said.

Female rats exposed to bisphenol A in the womb developed carcinoma in situ and pre-cancerous changes in their mammary tissue as adults, she said.

But it's not just levels of exposure to the chemical that are important. The fetus takes developmental cues from changing hormone levels. So introducing an estrogen mimic at the wrong time could send the wrong signal to the fetus and throw off development, she said.

"I can't jump and say that bisphenol A causes these effects in humans," Soto said. But scientists cannot ethically test the chemical on human development. People should be concerned about the effect of bisphenol A on human health based upon the animal studies, she said.

The increase in bisphenol A production parallels the rise in obesity, vom Saal said. That's no coincidence, he says. His work with mice suggests that exposure to the chemical during pregnancy can lead to obesity in adulthood.
He also has also linked the chemical to changes in the prostate of male mice whose mothers were exposed to bisphenol A while pregnant.

He points to more than 140 government-sponsored studies that have linked exposure to the chemical to breast cancer, prostate cancer, changes in reproductive organs, brain changes, obesity and other indications of harm. No industry-sponsored studies have uncovered evidence of harm from bisphenol A, vom Saal said.

Industry representatives say looking at individual studies is the wrong approach.

"This isn't a basketball game. You don't just count up studies and see what the score is," said Steven G. Hentges, executive director of the Polycarbonate Bisphenol A Global Group of the American Chemistry Council.

The studies must be considered in aggregate and evaluated for reproducibility, consistency and relevance to human health, Hentges said.
"In every case in which the evidence is evaluated together … , the conclusion is bisphenol A is not a risk to human health, particularly at the low levels to which we are exposed," he said.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 20:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
The San Francisco City Council passed a measure to bar bisphenol A and some other components of plastics, from products for children.

Here is the first believer who has taken an action!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 20:56
Registered Member

BF:

Archive for the 'Bisphenol A (BPA)' Category

NY Proposed State Bill Would Prohibit Child Care Products Containing BPA

Published: 6 April 2007

Category: Phthalates, Hormonal Changes, Studies/Federal Regulations, Bisphenol A (BPA), Packaging CONCERNS

A proposed New York state bill would prohibit the manufacture, distribution and sale of certain toys and child care products containing bisphenol A or phthalates and would impose a civil fine of not less than $10,000 a day for violation of such provisions. Legislature reports that Bisphenol A is used in many products intended for […]

Read More ››

Fish in Seattle are being “Feminized” because of Hormone-Mimicking Chemicals Allegedly found in Birth Control Pills and Plastic Bottles

Published: 5 April 2007

Category: Hormonal Changes, Bisphenol A (BPA), Packaging CONCERNS

The Seattle Times reports that fish in Seattle’s Elliott Bay, may be victims of human hormones and hormone-mimicking chemicals that have allegedly “feminized” fish. The chemicals, which reportedly “come from sources as varied as birth-control pills and plastic bottles, detergent and makeup,” are relatively widespread in the water. Scientists “worry that even in […]

Read More ››

Obesity in Children Could be Caused in part by Environmental Chemicals such as Bisphenol A

Published: 5 April 2007

Category: Bisphenol A (BPA)

According to Fort Wayne Daily News, today’s children are faced with an obesity epidemic, and although key factors to this crisis may include eating too much junk food and not getting enough exercise, scientists are now proposing that environmental factors may also be a cause, including exposure to a group of chemicals called Bisphenol A. […]

Read More ››

China Bans Bisphenol A Imports from surrounding Countries

Published: 3 April 2007

Category: Studies/Federal Regulations, Bisphenol A (BPA), Packaging CONCERNS

Forbes.com reports that China has recently imposed anti-dumping measures on Bisphenol A imports from Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan. This reportedly comes after the Ministry of Commerce in China started its anti-dumping investigation into foreign manufacturers of the chemical in late August of 2006. Bisphenol A is allegedly used in the production […]

Read More ››

Sciences International Still Sparking Controversy According to Report

Published: 3 April 2007

Category: Bisphenol A (BPA), Packaging CONCERNS

The News & Observer reports the Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction has suspended a partnership with Sciences International, a Virginia-based research contractor, after news leaked of a potential conflict of interest with the contracting group because of the firm’s alleged ties to the chemical industry. Sciences International was reportedly tasked […]

Read More ››

Congressman and Son Aim to Find Out if Everyday Chemicals, such as phthalates and bisphenol A, Harm Human Health

Published: 2 April 2007

Category: Phthalates, Studies/Federal Regulations, Bisphenol A (BPA), Packaging CONCERNS

According to the Huron Daily Tribune, a father-son duo is taking part in the national biomonitoring project, “Pollution in People,” in an effort to educate themselves and the public about the toxins people live with and how the public should handle this problem. The Father, Rep. Terry Brown (of Michigan), and his son, Bryan, […]

Read More ››

Consumer Advocacy Group Calling for FDA to Regulate BPA

Published: 27 March 2007

According to InsideHealthPolicy.com, a consumer group wants the FDA to regulate bisphenol A (BPA) in plastic and canned foods and beverages. According to the article, “A consumer advocacy group is asking FDA to set a safety standard for a plastic ingredient widely used in the lining of food and drink cans due to concerns […]

Read More ››

Do you know about Bisphenol A (BPA)?

Published: 26 March 2007

Category: Cancer link & plastic packaging, Hormonal Changes, Bisphenol A (BPA), Packaging CONCERNS

According to the Toledo Blade, “MOST Americans know little or nothing about a substance called bisphenol-A, which is why federal health officials and the chemical industry owe the public a definitive and unbiased explanation.” The Blade reports that questions have been raised that a private consulting company employed to help assess the toxicity of […]

Read More ››

Government Agency Reporting on the Toxicity of BPA may be Tainted

Published: 22 March 2007

Julie’s Health Blog, a blog featured on the Chicago Tribune website, recently included a story about the potential dangers of the chemical bisphenol A (BPA) and its potential to leach from baby bottles into the milk contained. According to the write-up, research organizations are also now showing that the chemical might be migrating from […]

Read More ››

Are you Swallowing Residues of the Chemical Bisphenol A?

Published: 22 March 2007

According to National Geographic’s The Green Guide, a suspect chemical in plastic bottles and cans, bisphenol A (BPA), may leach out of such containers into the products contained, which could mean you are swallowing residues of the chemical. According to the article, BPA has also been found to migrate, under some conditions, from plastic […]

Read More ››

#22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 21:10
Registered Member

BF:

#23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 21:49
Experimenter

BF:

#24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 02:29
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

So... with all these wonderful commitees around to scrutinise the safety of such a widely used plastic... who believes that whatever their finding is, it will be financially favourable to the plastic companies???

I'd love to be on one of those panels, I bet my kid's education would be paid 10-fold!

e

P.S..... not that I'm a sceptical person
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 09:30

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Is this just an issue when the plastic is heated?

What about water and soda bottles?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 10:37
Experimenter

BF:

I think all these plastics release BPA into the ground water when they start to decay. So, even if it isn't releasing into the water, when it is thrown away, it is eventually going to find its way to your water. :\
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 11:22

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Is bisphenol A in soda bottles? Not all plastic has it. If so, does it leach into the soda or does the plastic have to be heated? I'm sure that, if it is in it, it will eventually end up in the ground. I am more curious about the here and now, though.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 11:39
Experimenter

BF:

I've heard it's all the non-rigid plastics but I don't know for sure.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 11:45
One Bite At A Time

Quote:
http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2003/5993/abstract.html
This study shows the Bisphenol A leaches from water bottles into water. They had to do this study because Bisphenol A is a powerful hormone disruptor and it would skew lab animal testing. They also tested the cages and they too were found to offgass the toxic chemical.

ARC, read that study and you'll see that leaching occurs at all times,
not just when it heated. Remember when things heat up they will offgass more chemicals than when its cold. Heat (and time as Nancy pointed out) will create more of the release and chemical reactions to occur.

Those chemicals have an affinity for fats, so be sure that your high fat content foods don't come in contact with plastic. In other words don't wrap your butter, or leftover meat in plastic container or plasitc wrap. Look for food at the store that isn't sold in plastic containers, i.e. mayo in glass jars vs plastic jars. Trying to buy cheese is impossible except at the Farmer's Market, just know that the outer rind has those chemicals in it. Typically it's the small ingestions (exposures also include skin and lungs) over time that add to your body burden and creates the injuries.

An excellent way to reduce your exposure is by replacing your plastic items in the kitchen. Think of creative ways like: wax paper (you can get it unbleached with natural wax), foil, glass, metal and ceramic. Glass and ceramic are considered the most inert when it comes to food storage. Try reusing your glass jars. Find inexpensive canisters, or wait for them to go on sale. I found a set of stainless steel canisters at Target for less than I paid for Tupperware and IMO it looks much nicer. I also found some big ceramic ones for a dollar each at the dollar store.

Last edited by Kandra : Thu, Apr-12-07 at 12:05.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 12:00
One Bite At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've heard it's all the non-rigid plastics but I don't know for sure.

Pthalates used as a solvent and in soft plastics (it softens plastic)
bisphenol A in all Polycarbonate plastic (more rigid, check the bottom of the container)