Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 313/271/200
BF:
Progress: 37%
Red face The Confession

Hello to all!
Well here goes.....I am about to put down a number that I have only been privy to.......MY WEIGHT! I think this idea of the triple digits group is wonderful....and I actually have the requirements to be here!LOL I am 34, (it's bad when telling your age is easier than your weight) I am 5'7" and I weigh 313 pounds. Wouldn't this be the time for my hubby to come into the computer room and look at the screen and go...wow your 34....that makes me 32. Divorce!! On the 13th we will celebrate 10 years of wedded bliss(or something like that)! I have just been diagnosed with TypeII diabetes and hyperthyroidism. I am in a wheelchair from being hit by a drunk driver 8 years ago. It is time for me to get with the program and I have my hubbies support and he is going to join me in my low carb voyage. He has high bp and needs to lose weight too. We have a 9 year old daughter who is scared that her mommy is sick. This is the time we are going to do it.
I am starting first thing in the morning! I thank everyone for this place to come and feel like I belong! JFan<Nancy>
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 17:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi JeannieFan,

How is your first day so far?

It is wonderful that your husband is joining you on your low-carb journey. It's great and courageous thing to take control of your health.

Keep posting.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 18:52
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Day 1

Hello to All!
Thanks for the words of inspiration Karen, they sure mean alot.
Yes my hubby is the best, he went to the GNC sale today at lunch and came home with a smorgasboard of Atkins products. I am going to use the bars for sure but limit myself to one a day. He wants to try the cappucino shakes instead of his usual coffee in the morning before work. Hey if he can shake coffee, miracles do happen! Same thing for me and Pepsi one....I just love the stuff and have limited myself to one a day until my case is gone.(13togo)! I like to drink green tea and make a half gallon every morning using only 2 bags and I make sure I drink at least that everyday. Today I had the following....BR-2 eggs(right straight warm from under a hen in the henhouse) 1 slice of swiss cheese, 2 slices bacon For Lunch-2 hamburgers, 1 cup Broccoli & 1 T Parm cheese, Dinner- 1/2 of a roasted chicken, 1 cup salad greens, 1/2 cup jicama salad and 2 T blue cheese dressing and my Pepsi One
Snack 1/2 bar of lemon chiffon Atkins bar
3/4 gallon water
Can I ask a rather stupid question? what is subtracting the fiber carbs all about and how would you add up what I ate today? I feel good today, no headaches.....oh I also got 45 minutes pool time today to exercise! Have a great low carb day everyone and take care.....JFan
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 01:22
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi Nancy,

The way it works is fiber is not digestible so it can be subtracted from your daily carb intake. This is known as ECC or effective carbohydrate count. So, what you would do is add up what you ate today minus the fiber and this would give you your daily carb total. I would say that your day looks very good, but please, please, watch those Atkins Bars. The carb count is much higher than what is stated on the label! Read the Low Carb Tips Section at the top of the page for more information.

You may be interested in the USDA Database. It has the nutritional breakdown for an incredible amount of food.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Corrinne T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts is also a good way to count carbs.

Since you've taken the plunge into low-carbing, you may want to consider moving over to the Journal forum and keeping a journal there. This area doesn't seem to get much traffic and having a journal is a good way to keep track of what you're eating.

Have a great day 2!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 07:32

Plan: Diabetes Control/own adaptation
Stats: 343/270/ 200
BF:
Progress:
Talking Re: The Confession

Way to go on starting taking control of your diabetes and your life! I started out in March for the same reason, my diagonsis of diabetes.

The day I was diagnosed I weighed 343. I weighed myself last month and I am down to 270!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have 100 or so to go, but I am already smaller than I have been in 15 years. I am planning on weighing myself today or at least in the next few days. (I long since stopped having scales around my house. Though if this keeps up, I might have to invest in one*G*)

One way I use the bars is when my sugar is low and I have no time to eat, or in a place where I can't eat. I keep one in my purse, for just such cases.

Good luck. You can do this! If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Tammy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 13:53
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Diet bars

Hi Karen,
Thank you for answering my post....we are planning a trip to the whole foods store(80miles away) tomorrow(hubby's day off) and I will have to get a carb counter book. I am also trying to find in atkins book where he talks about deduction the fiber. I have a habit of skimming books and in the past two weeks, I have been through alot of books and web sites. I didn't know that about the bars, I thought since they were atkins I was ok. I knew we weren't supposed to use them on the induction part of atkins but my hubby was so happy bringing them home. And I am sooooo pre-menstral....bad time to start but I had to. I will keep them for every now and then. What is in them that makes them that much higher and how does he get away with that. I am planning on being on-line for his live radio program tonight, I will have to try and get online to ask him a question. Hubby even bought the bake mix, syrup and breakfast bars.....they look good but I am first trying to get into ketosis before I try to see where my limits are....MEN!
Have a great day and thank you so much.......OH I go tomorrow to GP for my results on the other tests on Thyroid and fasting BG test....hum 2 days low carbing....only joking....Take care....Nancy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 14:00
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Congratulations!!

Hi Tammy,
Oh Congratulations on your weight loss and getting control of your life.....!!!!! You are such an inspiration to me. I too want to get control of the sugar before I have to take medicine. My doctor has basically written off LCWOL but you know he doesn't know me when I get fired up about something! Your doctor must have been floored with your progress. Do you have a journal or would you like to email each other...let me know because our problems some alot alike. I am sitting here typing thinking about surprising my hubby with a candle lit dinner out by the pool when he gets home...hum what to make...I will come up with something. Take care and have a great LC day! Nancy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi Nancy,

Info on ingredients in low-carb bars.

http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/hiddencarbs.htm

I don't know how anybody gets away with it!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up Eggs still warm from the chicken??

Nancy,

Wowser, how wonderful to not have to check the expiry date on the egg carton!! Are these free range hens? Is this a big farm?? Organic?

Inquiring minds want to know. Tell all......

Ruth
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 17:54
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Organic Farm

Hi All....
Oh about the fresh eggs....we have an organic farm, we raise chickens for eggs & meat, sheep & goats for milk & meat(lamb), we grow a lot of what we eat and I can and make homemade cheese. Keeps me busy( )....too busy~ but we believe in the properties of organics. I live in an area that is organic inept....I couldn't sell my produce because they think that it being organic that there is something wrong with it! go figure! I am moving my post to the journal part, I feel to keep me going I need to keep journaling. Thank you to all who have posted and keep up the good work....Nancy Jfan
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 11:24
Registered Member

BF:
Cool the weigh in

Hello to All,
Well after the doctor canceled my appt friday I was about ready to head for the fridge with a nose dive but...I didn't...whew!
Hubby took me out to dinner,,,which was wonderful!
So here it is Sunday Day 6 and I am feeling good, hubby announces he is down 5 pounds....want to kill him!
Decided to weigh in even though I just started my cycle yesterday....I did it....down 5 pounds! yippee!
note to self......yipppeeee! Hope everyone is having a lowcarb wonderful weekend...I off to paddle in the pool! Nancy
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 01:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Nice start to your diet Nancy. Hope you did well on the weekend. They can be really hard.