Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 05:56

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Question Check my math, please

I had purchased Splenda in the "measures cup for cup" form. And when I started putting info in my FitDay, I tried to calculate it out.
Okay, I put ¾ of a cup of Splenda in a pitcher. The pitcher holds 5 of the glasses we usually use.
The box says a serving is one teaspoon, 0.5 grams. The box says
½ cup Splenda equals 100g of sugar. (This is where I may be messing up, does ½ cup of anything equal 100grams? I was presuming it did, as it says it measures the same.) So, ¾ of a cup would equal 150 grams.

150grams times 0.5=75gr. So, this means there are 75 servings of Splenda in the entire pitcher, right?

75gr divided by 5 (the number of actual servings)=15gr
15g x 4 (calories in one gram carbo)=60

Also on the box it says "In some recipes, Splenda may contribute minimal calories." Also, I found a glycemic index on the web that has Maltose as being very high on the index. Is this same as Maltodextrin?

So, I put 8 packets of Splenda in instead. Counted 1gr per packet, counted each glass as 2. (was 1.6) Quite a difference from 15!!

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Tue, Jun-24-03 at 05:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 07:20

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

This is how I count Splenda when making Lemonade. Granted this may not be correct but I have not had an y problems with being kicked out of ketosis even if I drank 1/2 pitcher..

I make a pitcher (2 quarts = 8 cups (64 oz)) - each cup I use appx. 2 "packets" of splenda - - I count as 1.5 carb for each cup - so for the entire pitcher - - 12 carbs). Also depending how many lemons or how much lemon juice I add, then I add those carbs as well.

Granted, if you use more than appx. 2 packets of splenda per cup than add more carbs. Either way....unless you plan on drinking the entire pitcher in one day, I would not worry about how accurate the carbs are....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Your mistake is that 1/2 c splenda is *as sweet as* 100g sugar, not that it weighs the same! Splenda is much, much lighter than sugar -- a tsp is 0.5g, which makes a tablespoon 1.5g, which makes the whole cup only weigh 24g! So if you're calculating by weight, you're going to get way, way messed up.

According to the Splenda website, 1c of granular Splenda has 96 calories and 24 carbs. 3/4 c would be 18g carbs for the pitcher, or 3.6g per glass. The packets are usually a better choice for sweetening beverages, because they aren't bulked up as much as the granular stuff (which has to measure like sugar). 1 packet (1g) is as sweet as 2 tsp sugar, while it takes 2 tsp granular (2g) to sweeten like 2 tsp sugar. So use the packet stuff unless you've got a recipe that depends on the bulking properties of sugar!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 09:15

Talking I am SO glad to be wrong...

it made no sense to me!! And now I don't have to throw out 3 boxes of measure like sugar Splenda. That is where I got messed up too, especially since we don't usually deal in grams or weight, but bulk.

THANKS!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 13:08

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Here's a useful thread: Measuring sweeteners, granular type vs. paper packet

Just to clarify, as well, granular and packet have the same amount of carbs per sweetness.

Packet = 2 tsp sweetness = 1g carb
Granular = 2 tsp sweetness = 1g carb

Hope that helps.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 06:22

Default Thanks

for posting Angela. It's just been too long since I was in school, and then math wasn't my best subject. I sorta knew where I was wrong, but I still wasn't getting it. And I must have gotten really worked up over it, because USUALLY the first place I check is the product's website, but that didn't even enter my brain this time.

edited to add:
PS. The link is VERY helpful. In fact I posted it in my notes and will be printing it to keep with my recipes. (My memory will only get worse!)

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Wed, Jun-25-03 at 06:27.