Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 16:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%
Default Anyone ever done c reactive protein blood test?

Anyone ever done c reactive protein blood test? Was wondering how reliable it is by its numbers? Like..

High-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) levels
Less than 1.0 mg/L

Lowest risk

1.0 to 3.0 mg/L

Average risk

More than 3.0 mg/L

Highest risk
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 20:41

Default Why would my hs-crp be this high?

Ok I asked in general board but got no response. Is a hs-crp test accurate? Why would my number be so high? I am scared to tell dh as if you remember he said eating low carb was going to give me heart attack..

Quote:
Serum Proteins C Reactive Protein (High Sensitivity) 4.2 mg/L

They did not do cholesterol tests this time it was just lots of liver and mostly vit tests. I have not been feeling well. Weak, tired all the time and a swollen abdomen. Feeling completely out of it most days, like in a daze.

These were rest of the tests minus ones pending and fasting Glucose I need to do soon.
Quote:
Biochemical Investigation of Anemias Vitamin B12 341 150-650 pmol/L
General Chemistry Sodium 141 134-145 mmol/L
Potassium 4.3 3.5-5.0 mmol/L
Creatinine 78 50-100 umol/L
Estimated GFR 74 >=60 mL/min For further information see http://www.bcguidelines.ca/gpac/ pdf/ckd.pdf
Calcium 2.28 2.10-2.55 mmol/L
Gamma GT A <10 10-58 U/L
ALT 19 <50 U/L
Serum Proteins C Reactive Protein (High Sensitivity) 4.2 <5.0 mg/L High-sensitivity method suitable for cardiovascular risk assessment.
Immunology Tissue Transglutaminase Ab Results are pending ...
Bone Markers Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy Results are pending ...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 21:05
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 225/170.8/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have had it done twice. Most recently was about 18months ago and scored a 2.0. I think that had been down from my previous one (2.6 or something?).

The first doc was a cardiologist that I saw because of a special "heart risk" promo offered through his clinic. Everything looked good except that test which he said was an indicator that something was causing inflammation somewhere in my body. The 2.0 was done right after I lost 40lbs with HCG. Even though it is in the "normal" range, my current doc would like to see levels closer to 1.0 or below.
To answer your question, I think it is a pretty reliable test - just not sure how much info you actually get from it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 21:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Any sort of illness can cause inflammation which can push CRP up.

I ran into some that had high CRP from Lyme's disease.

It sounds to me like you have something going on that has nothing to do with your diet. Get it checked out!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 21:47

Ok get what checked out? I have no clue what is wrong and neither does dr. Just did all this blood work.. Pelvic us in dec. I feel horrible everyday. Really hard to take care of both kids. Abdomen keeps swelling more and more each day. Scale not up much but a few pounds.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 22:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Appendicitus? Gall Bladder? Could be a lot of things. Have they done an ultrasound? You're going to just have to press the issue with your doctor. Be assertive.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 22:29

Had gallbladder out when I was 18. I am frustrated. Dr told me first week I went to see him I was constipated.. I told him I am regular and not constipated, sorry tmi!, he was not listening. Then told me to eat less gluten/wheat. I told him I already eat zero.. He did not believe me. Questioned me 4 times as if I was lying I go back a week later. Belly more swollen, so tired. Just in general not feeling any better. Again he tells me I am eating too much wheat and need to stop. I wanted to scream.. Wtf! He totally did not believe me wrote in my chart again I was constipated needed to eat dry fruit, no wheat and take a laxative. Really left office and cried in car. I went back a week later agin, really in hopes to see different dr.. But got same one. I actually want to bathroom and cried before my visit he again pushed that I was constipated again(even though I had just told him again my bm are regular), must be gas causing my belly to be bloated/swollen from all the wheat I eat. I started to tear up again. My husband saw and said firmly she eats zero wheat! Dr questioned him and I 4 times. I have no idea why he does not believe but it was hard to deal with he finally ordered these blood tests and that is where I am now. I can not get in for pelvic us until December.. Which I was luck to get as most places were booking for feb. dr will not do any more tests until pelvic us is done
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 22:30

And he only ordered pelvic us, showing uterus, bladder, area
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 00:35

So it think internet got me freaked over nothing, husband came home looked at report and said it should be fine.. said it is under 5.. no problem. Is he right? All the info on the net is wrong? Dr's will not call me to come in and talk about since it is under 5?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 06:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

As one doctor said to me, the CRP-hs test is a solution in search of a problem. All it tells you is that somewhere in your body there is some inflammation. To come to a conclusion it is cardio-vascular related, thus your diet, is a big leap!

I have high numbers (think it was 4.6?) but I'm in my sixties and have some remaining hip joint pains, even though living grain free has vastly improved that. Arthritis in any joint of any amount will give a high reading, why this test can be pretty darn useless for older folk. A low grade cold, allergic inflammations, skin problems could also raise the number to that level, which is on the higher side, but not the dramatic numbers one sees with a serious infection. As others have said, something is going on but take a deep breath and focus on your actual symptoms, rather than a number.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-20-12 at 06:14.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 06:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

This doctor sounds like a jerk. And he's not getting any better.

If it were me, I'd go into the emergency room with "terrible" pain (the anxiety you must be feeling is big enough, no?) and you can't place it but your abdomen keeps getting bigger... get a bunch of young docs wondering what the heck is going on... THIS IS AN EMERGENCY.

It is!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 08:18
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This doctor sounds like a jerk. And he's not getting any better.

If it were me, I'd go into the emergency room with "terrible" pain (the anxiety you must be feeling is big enough, no?) and you can't place it but your abdomen keeps getting bigger... get a bunch of young docs wondering what the heck is going on... THIS IS AN EMERGENCY.

It is!

Totally agree - do this!!!

Lee
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 09:25

Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Oh my gosh- your symptoms are just like mine, except I also have nausea! The past three months I've had swollen abdomen, no energy, having trouble keeping up with my daughter- just feel awful every day! Went to my Primary care doc, he did blood work, unrine, abdomnial ultrasound of all organs. The only thing they showed was one liver level that was up indicating inflammation somewhere (he didn't specify what level) and a little bit of fatty streaks on my liver. Reffered me to a GI doctor who did an endoscopy last Friday. They took some biopsies because the lining of my stomach is inflamed, but they showed no infection and no cancerous cells. So basically, still no clue why the inflammation and swelling. I'm on Prilosec for the inflammation and zofran for nausea. Go back in 4 weeks for re-evaluation and see if more tests should be done. I don't know if any of that information about what is going on with my swollen belly helps you figure anything out, but I figured I'd tell you anyway!

Your doc doesn't seem to be taking you seriously- is there another primary care place you can go? Or as Werebear said, the ER? Something is wrong and it should be taken seriously.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 10:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Did your doctor check for diverticulitis or diverticulosis, both somewhat common, can be bloating and nausea as symptoms. No medical knowledge or advice from me...I just hear about it rather often and they have not been mentioned yet.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-12, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Did your doctor check for diverticulitis or diverticulosis, both somewhat common, can be bloating and nausea as symptoms. No medical knowledge or advice from me...I just hear about it rather often and they have not been mentioned yet.

if it is blood work then no, only what is shown.