Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 10:00

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think there are different levels of condition. The only way for someone to know is to have a colonoscopy.

For instance where it says: "This causes marble-sized pouches to protrude through the colon wall." I think that's when it becomes acute and requires surgery.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im glad you mentioned this because, dang, that descriptio scared the Sugar Honey Ice Tea out of me. And drove me to look for more PREENTION.

Here is a bit from Dr Jockers

Quote:
Lectins have been reported to damage the gastrointestinal lining and create states of chronic systemic inflammation (5).

Peanut butter is chock full of lectins---- and how many of us indulge in this taste treat?
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:24

BF:

Lectins and Chronic Inflammation:
The body also creates an immune response to the lectin molecules as it tags them as antigens or foreign particles that could be harmful. This leads to an auto-immune reaction where the immune system will attack tissues that lectins attach (5). Once this sensitization of the immune system takes place the body will also become highly inflamed when one consumes foods containing high amounts of lectins.

Wheat contains a lectin called wheat germ agglutin or WGA. Many individuals have a high level of sensitivity to WGA and this is often mistaken as a gluten sensitivity (8). Lectins inhibit nerve growth factor which affects the ability of the nerves to heal and repair effectively. Many individuals never test positive for a gluten allergen yet they have WGA sensitivity that is causing severe inflammatory problems in their body.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 11:25

BF:

The above is courtesey of dr Jockers.

Would love to hear of any suggestions to prevent this. If you know of anything, please post.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 12:52

BF:

I'm glad you posted the list of some foods high in Lectins. All of legumes, it looks like plus the nightshades. I called it dark shades earlier
Happily I eat mostly non of them.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 13:02

BF:

Have you ever eaten eggplant that had overripened with lots of seeds? I have memories of cooking and eating it and having the roof of my mouth itch and wondering why??
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 18:13

BF:

I dont recall having such an experience-- but i can see that happening.

I tried growing eggplant last year and had a couple growing--little 4 inch---waiting and waiting.....the chickens were pecking it clean from the otherside and emptied the flesh leaving the skin!!!!!

Have about 10 plants this year-- good that I know each variety to pick it when it is small for that variety. A few small finger size, a medium size and a big black beauty.

I am concerned the little ones will have mature seeds when the fruit is small---will see!!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 07:25

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Have you ever eaten eggplant that had overripened with lots of seeds? I have memories of cooking and eating it and having the roof of my mouth itch and wondering why??

That would be an allergy to eggplant. It may be mild if you still eat it and don't notice but also eggplant is a nightshade plant so most naturopathic doctors tell their patients not to eat nightshade relatives like eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, and all peppers hot and sweet.

I get a reaction similar to yours when I eat coconut. I have a coconut allergy. I was eating few years ago, Mounds pieces out of the bag of almond joy with the coconut and I suddenly developed sores inside my mouth! When I stopped eating the candy the sores went away. When I was a kid and ate fresh coconut I would throw up.

My mother had no problem with eggplant and would buy it in season and bake it Italian style. I happen to not really like it anyway.. (I like it Chinese style with the sweet and sour sauce though) I've noticed that I do not like the foods that I have an allergy too mostly. Except I do like coconut and I love wheat... and I have a gluten intolerance

Doing much better today. I have 1 1/2 more days on this Rx. Be glad when I'm finished if only because it makes me dizzy, woozy ..and headaches.

Last edited by Mayflowers : Sun, Jul-08-18 at 07:31.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
The above is courtesey of dr Jockers.

Would love to hear of any suggestions to prevent this. If you know of anything, please post.

I checked out Dr. Jockers. He has an elimination list and I had shrimp the day before the bad flare up! Thanks for the tip.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 08:08

BF:

You 're welcome!!

Other than trying to pick the right foods to prevent a flare up, are there any options to healing the GI to the point of NO flare ups???

Probiotics? Vit C?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 09:14

BF:

The heat in hot peppers and horseradish effect me.

Chemicals, my DD2 has really bad reactions to farm raised shrimp but no problem with wild caught.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 10:05

BF:

Meme , abut the shrimp. Dr G talks about the feed becoming the animal. So if a person cannot eat any lectins, and must go lectin free for best results, they cannot eat meat that has eaten the lectins.

This is a very scary concept.

Because we are all affected at some level.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 11:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have stayed away from legumes for a couple of years now. Though I love black beans, I can live better without them.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 13:14

BF:

Do you have a substitute? Or just use completely different recipes ?
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 02:44

I got this book off Amazon and its called " Cure Diverticulitis - The Real Cause and Cure" This guy who wrote it used holistic supplements, and he didn't go low carb or plant based, but he said he cured his condition and when he want for another colonoscopy it showed the pouches had healed.