Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

What specific issues? A lot of the "issues" aren't. For example, an ideal total cholesterol, looking specifically at heart attack risk, is between 200 and 250. Both below and above that, the risk increases.

But the supposed healthy zone is below 200. It's nonsense.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 09:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yeah, "issues" is pretty darn vague. At the least we would like to know your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. My latest total was 208 which I consider right in the sweet spot.

If your total is VERY high it's also a classic symptom of thyroid not functioning properly due to inadequate T3. I have Hashimoto's and when I finally found someone willing to prescribe Armour rather than useless Synthroid my total cholesterol dropped from 296 to 196 in four weeks (LDL also dropped 100 points with HDL and tris remaining good).
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 10:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

This may be off the wall, but do you also get enough sodium and potassium in the right balance? I've had issues with racing/pounding heart also in the past, but none since I added a daily 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of Salt Balance (sodium and potassium in proper ratio) to my diet.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 16:49

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
But my sleep on the whole is rarely good as I am so sensitive to noises.

Do you take magnesium? If so, do you take one of the more calming types, such as magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate? Heart pounding suggests electrolyte imbalance to me, as well. Mg is often the culprit since it's depleted by stress among other things and many people don't consider the balance between mag and calcium (potassium and sodium too).

I lost years of my life to depression before I discovered the magnesium/stress/calcium connections and supplementing with the right kinds of magnesium. I had to take high doses of magnesium at first and severely limit calcium for awhile too.

You already sound very savvy and aware, but , here is an excellent website about magnesium anyway:

Quote:
Recent research, in France and several other European countries, gives a clue concerning the role of magnesium plays in the transmission of hormones (such as insulin, thyroid, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA, etc.), neurotransmitters (such as dopamine, catecholamines, serotonin, GABA, etc.), and minerals and mineral electrolytes.

This research concludes that it is magnesium status that controls cell membrane potential and through this means controls uptake and release of many hormones, nutrients and neurotransmitters. It is magnesium that controls the fate of potassium and calcium in the body. If magnesium is insufficient potassium and calcium will be lost in the urine and calcium will be deposited in the soft tissues (kidneys, arteries, joints, brain, etc.).

Magnesium protects the cell from aluminum, mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium and nickel. http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

Calcium in high doses is an excitotoxin to the brain, and that used to be my problem. The last time I took a calcium supplement was an experiment and about a half hour later I wound up in tears fighting with my sister on the phone. And I didn't even realize the cause until later. It all felt real. That was how I lived for years.

Quote:
Magnesium and calcium work together at very precise ratios to ensure your heart functions properly. Talk to your doctor before taking magnesium supplements if you have a history of cardiac issues.https://umm.edu/health/medical/altm...ement/magnesium

Very low carb exacerbates physical signs of stress as does intermittent fasting for me. I'm IFing as much as possible these days and trying to figure out how to counter the stress. I don't feel stressed emotionally or mentally, but physically I get chest pain, tightness in my jaw, insomnia. I've been taking L-theanine, this brand, http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-...owxHhoC5Ijw_wcB lately and it helps. I also try to drink green or white tea, as it also has theanine in it.

There are also herbs such as ashwagandha. http://draxe.com/ashwagandha-proven...d-and-adrenals/

The brand he recommends: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6XNE6EF42ESNMUO

Interesting comments from Amazon reviewers there. I've taken it before but might try this brand now.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 02:38

Plan: modified paleo
Stats: 170/170/150 Female 167 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hello,

here are my results:
Cholesterine: 233
HDL: 46 (was 36 1,5 years ago)
LDL: 150
Triglycerides: 164

Hematocrit is high, hemoglobin is high, erythrocytes are too high, thrombocytes are too high (have slightly elevated since spring 2014)...

I'm plain scared and kind of paralyzed. I have this feeling of being doomed...

Yes, I do take magnesium (citrate), and I will use magnesium oil now. I'm also taking L-theanine and normally I feel quite fine except wehn my thyroid is messing around, but at the moment I#m just scared to death...