Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/186.5/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 22%

I had unexpected out of town relatives with a very active 2 yr old for the past week and a half.
My house is not baby proof and they were not low carbers. I was stressed to the max. I gained weight and now am trying to get back on track. Phooey, I wish I had not given to food. I am a stress eater and thought I was going to be able to make it through ok but didn't.

I'm sorry about your stall. Have you had success getting past it? The holidays are a tough time for most of us. Especially when you have children. I think having a lot of low carb treets for your self around seems to help.

I am happy they now have a curves close to you. We need all the help we can get and exercise is the best. I mostly walk. I have a bad knee and can't walk up and down even small
inclines without problems. I use a treadmill but it is so boreing (even with tv) I prefer the out doors. I like to walk around Virginia Lake but it takes me so much time to go and come back(I now live in the northwest) that I don't go often.
I live in a hilly neighborhood so the treadmill is best. I need an attitude adjustment. I find myself putting off exercise.
Keep smiling, you will make your goals.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 11:49
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Travel Gal-

Little ones can be trying when you aren't used to them - and sometimes even when you are! My two-year-old certainly makes life interesting. I can be a stress eater too, so I know how it is.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain. I've found that any weight I gain due to a cheat comes off pretty quickly once I get back on track.

I have finally broken my stall, but it has taken some work on my part. I have been either going to Curves or doing 1 mile on the treadmill every day. I have decided that I just have to make exercise a priority if I want to lose the weight.

It is very hard hard for me to keep my enthusiasm for exercise over the long run. I think that I will have to adjust my attitude regularly. Have you tried walking in the malls? At least you have something interesting to look at and you don't have to worry about hills or the winter weather. You could also try a water aerobics class. That shouldn't bother your knee and might be more interesting than just the walking. I used to go to a class at the Y on Valley Road. I think they also have them at Alf Sorensen. It's pretty fun and easy on the joints. I did it when I was very pregnant.

Good luck on trying to get back on track. Try to get out and enjoy the sunny weather while it lasts!

Last edited by stacey rae : Tue, Nov-11-03 at 11:51.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:44

Stats: 198/186.5/145 Female 60
BF:

Stacey Rae,

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement about exercise. You are very right about water exercise. I have gone to several of the pools for exercise classes in past years. I liked them and they do help. I didn't have the time during the last number of years because I was taking care for my Mom and she has alzheimers. Sadly the time came to place her in a home a few months ago. I am able to do more things for myself now and I have been thinking about
water exercise. I live on the slopes of Peavine Mountain so the YMCA near Reno Highschool is probably the nearest to me.

I actually love children. I was blessed with 7 children and have 12 grandchildren. They were all a joy to me.The happiest time of my life was when my kids were small.
The little one that visited is difficult to be around and it's really her parents fault as they can't bring themselves to say no to her.
They mean well but other family members besides me dread to have them visit and that's a shame.
Did you make it through Halloween with out getting into the candy? Thankfully I did. I usually buy small Milky Way bars to give out because I don't like them. There better not be Snickers or Mr Goodbars around or I have a hard time staying out of them.
The weather has been georgous hasn't it? I love the autumns here. If only it didn't get dark so early.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:23
Registered Member

BF:

Travel Gal-

So sorry to learn of your mother's illness! What a difficult situation you are in. You have my sympathy.

I am proud to say that I made it through Halloween without eating one single piece of candy! I feel that this was an achievement when you consider the fact that I was surrounded by kids and husband who were all eating it. I am with you on the Snickers bars - they are my favorite, with the exception of Sees candy.

I have enjoyed the long fall season this year too. I think that winter is finally here to stay, though.

Are you planning on cheating a little for Thanksgiving? I may end up doing that because I will be at a high-carb feast at my aunt's house. I plan on getting on the treadmill in the morning and then just enjoying myself. It's only one day. I hope you enjoy your holiday.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 01:03

Stats: 181/149.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Are you guys still out there ?????????
I'm in Reno, but noticed that you guys last posted in Oct 03
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:57
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Slots-

I'm still around, but on a temporary break from low carb due to my pregnancy. I am due in August and plan to resume low carb as soon as my baby is born.

Are you new to this WOE? I lost a lot of weight and felt great while eating low carb. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things so that I can continue to pursue my goals.

Please feel free to post again! I get an EMAIL whenever there is a post to this thread.

Good luck and have a great day!

Stacey
  #22   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:16

BF:

I'm not new to Atkins. I used it from 1973 to 1989.
I've had a weight problem since I was born, and have always tried every new idea that came along.
Just before Atkins came along, I think it all started with a book I read, called "Calories Don't Count" They actually outlawed that book.
Then came Atkins, and I was hooked. It worked !!
I had started from about 220, and for more that 15 years, I kept my weight between 117 and 119. I consumed 10 carbs or less a day, and back then, didn't know about "fiber".
Then one day, I started taking medications that caused weight gain (which they didn't know back then either), and even though I went off (my form) of a maintence diet, the weight kept creeping back on, so I said " if I'm gunna gain anyway, I'm gunna EAT !!, and I gave up. Well, not completely .... after spending 15 years eating a certain way, it "sticks" with ya. I knew by heart how many carbs were in what, and I was still aware of what I ate, so my weight never went up that high again.
Now, I'm going at it again because I just got sick of myself, and I read Atkins "new" book, and found out everything they have learned since I quit ... mainly about the meds.
They have learned Soooo much since "the ol days". I've learned now that it was the medications that threw me, so I weaned myself off the medications, and decided to give it a 'go" again.
Also there was no such thing as counting off the fiber like nowdays. They didn't even know about it. There are so many new products in the stores, and recipes available on the net that I didn't have before.
Someone once asked me how I stayed so slim, and I said "caffeine, nicotine, and protein" .. and it was the truth, and just about in that order.
I'm still resistant to weight loss, and it's slow, but I will have no problem keeping it under control now days, and this time it will last more than 15 years (if I have that many left)
Since last August 21, I've lost 33 pounds of the 50 pounds I want to lose. I'm not sure where my weight will end up, but I've settled into what I will eat from now on, (my WOE), and when I reach the point of not losing any more, ... that's were I'll be !
I CAN keep from eating any more, but I refuse to eat any less than 10 to 15 carbs a day for the remainder of my life.
I looked really good at 119 pounds, but I was starving the body.
Besides, I'm 64 years old now, and that's a rediculess weight for me, and there's NO WAY I'm trying to get there now.
It was great at the time, but I'm a lot smarter now (I think)
Now I'm just after a way to eat the rest of my life that will keep my weight down, more than trying to reach a certain "goal".I know what I would LIKE to weigh, but if I don't reach it, I'm not going to cut down of what I'm eating now
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 01:05

BF:

Got carried away, and forgot to tell you, that I'm out in the North end.
They just opened a Curves out here in Feb. and since I retired four years ago from a very active job, I decided to join. I just turned into a slug !
I've worked off 12 inches and I HATE exercise. On the job was one thing, but to exercise on purpose !! ... forget it.
Well, after 4 years of retirement, I knew that, like it or not I was going to have to do somthing that I have avoided my whole life.

My diet went well from Aug to Dec, but then I hit a stall, (this was when my body caught on to what was happening)
and since then I've only lost about 7 to 8 pounds.
Since I started back on the diet, I have not had one bite of cheating, holidays or not, so I know it wasn't "my" fault.
I'm only losing about 2 pounds at the most, a month.
I have good ketones every single day, but I also have a metabolism that gets thousands of miles to the gallon !
Some people say I need to eat more, to shock the system, ( and I used to do that), but I'm scared too... when I'm losing this slow. The ol'body just doesn't work like it used to.
Guess I've talked your ear off eh ???
I see that you have done some GREAT losing so far, and congrats on the baby ... is this your 1st ... or last ??
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 00:35
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hey Slots come out in the open, I'm not from Reno but am AWAKE
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 11:20

BF:

Wow ... you surprised me.

I'm not "hiding".
It's just that this was a real old thread, and when I did write, no one answered, which didn't surprise me due to the date on the last post.

Whatcha doing on this thread, if your not from Reno ???????
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 19:55

Stats: 168/163/145 Female 4'11"
BF:

I just joned and I live in Dayton and work in Carson City. I read all the entries and was trying to figure out how old the last one was. Was it in winter of 2003? Or 2002? Today is August 21, 2004. Are you both still on program?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 20:28

Stats: 168/163/145 Female 4'11"
BF:

Boy I messed up. I don't know why but I didn't notice the date of the posts. duh and I'm not a true blonde either. Slots, I'm thinking about retirement I'll be 60 next year but I'm afriad I'll put on all kinds of weight. My time won't be structured and I have no descipline of my own. It'l be winter soon and being outside will be a rarity. I hope I can get the gist of this board. There are so many places and I'm so forgetful about where I've been on here. I was triing to get to my journal when I found this thread. Hope I can find me way here again. I put it in my favorites. But that is no guarantee.